I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I understand what you're saying, but you changed the parameters of my example. I said if the device does what you want it to do for the time period you want it done.

In other words; if you care about a device lasting no more than two years, then if it lasts four years that's irrelevant. If you want as long a lasting device as possible then 'yes' it's an issue to take into account. But for all those people that switch every two years it might not be an issue.

Very true.
For me though, irrelevant of time, I won’t stick with a company that shows no promise in a particular market. It takes time and effort to change operating systems. I want to do it on my own terms.
I understand the other perspective though.

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Very true.
For me though, irrelevant of time, I won’t stick with a company that shows no promise in a particular market. It takes time and effort to change operating systems. I want to do it on my own terms.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that MS "shows no promise" in the phone OS market. When should I switch and what do I do?

- I won't badmouth the company at every opportunity as that only serves to discourage others from investing. More investors = more revenue = more chance that MS "shows promise". What I've seen regarding W10M is a tremendous amount of negativity. I see other users of IOS and Android devices complaining about issues, but never as much about the brand (generally speaking).

- I won't switch until my current device doesn't do what I need it to do any longer. The longer I wait to switch the more I'll get for my money. I spent about $330 I think on the L950, and I might be willing to spend that again on a new phone.. .heck, maybe a bit more, but why would I do that now instead of when I have to? If this phone lasts me another year then surely I'll be far better off whining less and just getting last year's (this year's) Android model X next fall for far less...

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Let's assume for the sake of argument that MS "shows no promise" in the phone OS market. When should I switch and what do I do?

- I won't badmouth the company at every opportunity as that only serves to discourage others from investing. More investors = more revenue = more chance that MS "shows promise". What I've seen regarding W10M is a tremendous amount of negativity. I see other users of IOS and Android devices complaining about issues, but never as much about the brand (generally speaking).

- I won't switch until my current device doesn't do what I need it to do any longer. The longer I wait to switch the more I'll get for my money. I spent about $330 I think on the L950, and I might be willing to spend that again on a new phone.. .heck, maybe a bit more, but why would I do that now instead of when I have to? If this phone lasts me another year then surely I'll be far better off whining less and just getting last year's (this year's) Android model X next fall for far less...

I think that depends on the individual because we’re all different, right? I can’t tell you if/when to change and vice versa.

As far as negativity, I don’t blame consumers, I blame MS. We don’t make the decisions and people who have spent their hard earned money are tired of being let down. While you may see people complain about the other devices (all devices have issues) they have something many users of WM don’t have, trust. I trust Apple will fix issues and I trust they will be making devices I want in the future. I trust they will have stores where I can go get help if needed. That means a lot to me, more than money.

You sound like you have a plan too. Our plans are different but as long as we feel comfortable with them, that’s all that matters.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Very true.
You know I'm a chronic switcher always searching for the Holy Grail of mobile OSes. I did this dance when Richard-head Apotheker ruined webOS and I'm doing it again. I've been seeing the writing on the wall since WP7.8 / WP8. While iOS is progressing, Android is actually regressing so I still have time. It's going to be another year and a half so in the meantime, why settle for 2nd best? Cinderella had until midnight, it's only 11:30. Why the rush?

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You know I'm a chronic switcher always searching for the Holy Grail of mobile OSes. I did this dance when Richard-head Apotheker ruined webOS and I'm doing it again. I've been seeing the writing on the wall since WP7.8 / WP8. While iOS is progressing, Android is actually regressing so I still have time. It's going to be another year and a half so in the meantime, why settle for 2nd best? Cinderella had until midnight, it's only 11:30. Why the rush?

See my response above.
Remember, I’m talking about me only.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
See my response above.
Remember, I’m talking about me only.
So was I. When I say "you" in a post I'm not referring to you specifically. English is funny that way, Spanish has some differentiators so pardon my generality.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
So was I. When I say "you" in a post I'm not referring to you specifically. English is funny that way, Spanish has some differentiators so pardon my generality.

Yup, just want to make sure.
I admire people standing their ground, as long as they’re doing it for the right reason. Same as those who switch.
Trust me, I thought about it long and hard. The last thing I wanted to do was switch and sell off and purchase new devices. Once I made the decision though it was over. That’s the way I am. I’ll certainly stay in touch though and hope they turn things around. In the mean time I’m glad I did what I did.

I’m also done chronically switching. My new meds are working great!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yup, just want to make sure.
I admire people standing their ground, as long as they’re doing it for the right reason. Same as those who switch.
Trust me, I thought about it long and hard. The last thing I wanted to do was switch and sell off and purchase new devices. Once I made the decision though it was over. That’s the way I am. I’ll certainly stay in touch though and hope they turn things around. In the mean time I’m glad I did what I did.

I’m also done chronically switching. My new meds are working great!
Who's your doctor? Mine apparently sucks.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I stuck with webOS until the bitter end. I even bought a Pre 3 after HP put all of their TouchPads on a fire sale. But I can't do that with Windows Mobile. After a couple of what I call "canary apps" announced they were leaving, I jumped to Android. I've managed to use mostly Microsoft apps on Android.

Canary apps, as in mineshaft canaries. I knew when those apps left it was over.

Hanley Gibbons

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I finally gave in and switched to a Microsoft Edition Galaxy S8.

I'm holding out hope that once Windows ARM support is finalized and released that somebody will figure out how to load it onto the S8.

Martins Prieditis

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Who else is with me? Till the bitter end we stick together, we will make it through, and we know good things come to those who wait.

My 1520 finally crashed and screen shattered, I'm now looking for a 950XL as an upgrade or if I can find an HP x3 for cheap that'll be great too.

I don't think WM is a burning and a sinking ship at all, I just think we're in a transitional phase, and there's absolutely no reason why MS isn't doing something secretly in their Research Lab. They're most likely preparing for the post-smartphone era that's about to unfold in the next couple of years or so. I'm very excited to finally see the "foldable phone" they've been working on for quite some time now, and I'm sure it'll be great.

I would totally understand why you are leaving this platform, and it's absolutely within reason and totally justified, I won't miss you though because I know deep down inside, you've got a special place for WM and you'll eventually come back to us when a new spark has been ignited.

But for us who are staying and sticking through this long haul, we're going to be all right. Everything is going to be all right. We shall make it through and reap the rewards when the time is right.
I'm with you. Just bought 950XL for expensive price as they are hardly found. Upgraded from 950. Will stay till end!

vkhambhaita

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
Re: I'm standin, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

Yes, I am sticking with Windows Mobile. Why not, you tell me. There are better things to come and it'll be worth the wait. Currently own a 950xl and thinking of purchasing HP's Elite X3 until Microsoft bring out a device to rule them all. Have every faith in Microsoft.

JRZ

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
Is there any other mobile OS? I don't like iOS and I don't want Android.
So yes, count me in, I am with you!!!

Mister Wolf

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeh good things come to those who wait, is exactly the thought process I had. Then I looked around and thought good things are already out there, I was just sat there doing a disservice to myself, and staying loyal to WM when even MS has abandoned the platform.

If MS and other OEM's aren't making devices for this platform, then it's dead.

Mister Wolf

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: I'm standin, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

Yes, I am sticking with Windows Mobile. Why not, you tell me. There are better things to come and it'll be worth the wait. Currently own a 950xl and thinking of purchasing HP's Elite X3 until Microsoft bring out a device to rule them all. Have every faith in Microsoft.

What are these better things you talk about?

MobileKeverett

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Here to the end....i have tried to change many many many times but I can't make the switch.

No matter how many times Microsoft screws us over I am in for me not them!

ozguratabek

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
Who else is with me? Till the bitter end we stick together, we will make it through, and we know good things come to those who wait.

My 1520 finally crashed and screen shattered, I'm now looking for a 950XL as an upgrade or if I can find an HP x3 for cheap that'll be great too.

I don't think WM is a burning and a sinking ship at all, I just think we're in a transitional phase, and there's absolutely no reason why MS isn't doing something secretly in their Research Lab. They're most likely preparing for the post-smartphone era that's about to unfold in the next couple of years or so. I'm very excited to finally see the "foldable phone" they've been working on for quite some time now, and I'm sure it'll be great.

I would totally understand why you are leaving this platform, and it's absolutely within reason and totally justified, I won't miss you though because I know deep down inside, you've got a special place for WM and you'll eventually come back to us when a new spark has been ignited.

But for us who are staying and sticking through this long haul, we're going to be all right. Everything is going to be all right. We shall make it through and reap the rewards when the time is right.

I am here with you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb