I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Who else is with me? Till the bitter end we stick together, we will make it through, and we know good things come to those who wait.

My 1520 finally crashed and screen shattered, I'm now looking for a 950XL as an upgrade or if I can find an HP x3 for cheap that'll be great too.

I don't think WM is a burning and a sinking ship at all, I just think we're in a transitional phase, and there's absolutely no reason why MS isn't doing something secretly in their Research Lab. They're most likely preparing for the post-smartphone era that's about to unfold in the next couple of years or so. I'm very excited to finally see the "foldable phone" they've been working on for quite some time now, and I'm sure it'll be great.

I would totally understand why you are leaving this platform, and it's absolutely within reason and totally justified, I won't miss you though because I know deep down inside, you've got a special place for WM and you'll eventually come back to us when a new spark has been ignited.

But for us who are staying and sticking through this long haul, we're going to be all right. Everything is going to be all right. We shall make it through and reap the rewards when the time is right.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile. Want to leave? I won't miss you at a

Sorry, all well and good us sticking together, but unfortunately MS aren't in it with us.

With the announcement they are killing off Groove music passes and saying we should all go to Spotify being the latest in a long line of slaps in the face.

One slap to many for me, when my 950XL and my wife's 950 die, we are jumping ship, and I will not be replacing my Xbox One with and Xbox One X.

And over the course of the next year I will be cancelling our Skype numbers and subscriptions, our Xbox Gold subscriptions and also our Office 365 subs. There is no need to cancel our Groove passes, MS have done that for us.

Microsoft and Windows died for me with this announcement and WP was dead anyway.

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
Re: I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile. Want to leave? I won't miss you at a

They are forcing me out by getting rid of groove. Its not like I want to. I have to.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

Sorry, all well and good us sticking together, but unfortunately MS aren't in it with us.

With the announcement they are killing off Groove music passes and saying we should all go to Spotify being the latest in a long line of slaps in the face.

One slap to many for me, when my 950XL and my wife's 950 die, we are jumping ship, and I will not be replacing my Xbox One with and Xbox One X.

And over the course of the next year I will be cancelling our Skype numbers and subscriptions, our Xbox Gold subscriptions and also our Office 365 subs. There is no need to cancel our Groove passes, MS have done that for us.

Microsoft and Windows died for me with this announcement and WP was dead anyway.

totally feeling the same way now that Groove is getting dumped by MS... shame on you MS for letting your fans down. no one luved Windows phone more than me and all I see ms doing is letting US down the fans, the users, the customers the whatever you wanna call us... MS is SO SAD LAETELY, I'm disgusted in how we're are being treated...despicable. this is just the last straw for me... BTW FYI, spotify SUCKS on windows mobile, constant crashes, constant loading problems that I have to reset my bloody phone to get spotify too work properly to stream anything... man we're getting dumped on badly!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

MS don't care if we stick around or not. Why go were you aren't wanted?

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile. Want to leave? I won't miss you at all.

This is extremely polarizing. On one hand they killed a service with dismal subscription numbers but a LOYAL fan base. That's not a guess, they like making money, if it had 30million subscribers we would still have it. On the other hand it's a music service. Now we are like everyone else basically. One app for local one app for streaming, not the end of the world. And to cancel literally everything you have that is MS because you feel betrayed.... give me a flipping break. You guys realize those of us complaining are likely the only ones using then service? And same with the phones. 1.5 billion pcs and about 2-4million phones. It's not really a matter of lack of advertising. They marketed the hell out of the phones, even in the Ballmer days for those calling for his return. They failed before Satya came in. Yes, it was a failure then. Shh. Groove had no mobile platform to piggy back from. This isn't all that shocking.

Daniel Paul88

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site

I agree. We have all been freaking out (myself included) because we are loyal fans, and love MS products. But the reality is, they were likely losing a ton of money with Groove because of the licensing Fees for the music, you can't expect a massive corporation to support that. I was hurting too and seriously had been considering switching to an Android phone (being Canadian I kind of wanted to support Blackberry anyway).

But I think I will get a Windows 10 Mobile device anyway. In Canada, the Idol 4S is $250, for a brand new, nicely spec-ed phone WITH Continuum. I only really need it to last me until end of support for Windows 10 Mobile so that's a good price considering. Grooves loss makes me bitter, but Microsoft is definitely a better company since Satya Nadella, and they are a massive corporation, which suffered huge from Balmer's mismanagement. Balmer's poor management is going to have consequences that last, these are some of them. But they are turning it around. Remember Groove still exists and will continue to be updated, there is probably more of a plan in place than you think - especially in the consumer space.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site

As much as I love my Lumia 950 and will continue to use it till it dies on me or cant get it fixed if that day should come. Though I do worry if Microsoft will close down Movies & TV along with books. I mean really who use them services? I still use iTunes or amazon to rent movies. I also have Netflix if I want to watch something.

crabby2004

May 29, 2014
Visit site

Too many things being dropped, too many features going to rivals first, too little competing hardware... I think my household are done - My wife loves windows phone because Microsoft's ecosystem have our entire lives organised with their calendar, office apps, onedrive etc... I didn't have the heart to tell her that the ecosystem is now better on other platforms until Groove, but now the writing is on the wall I can't lie to her anymore. She's going to jump ship first and I'll see how that goes for the next six months then go after her.

Makes me really sad :(

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

All I can say "hope it works out for you".

For me it's a done deal, we're not coming back. Will hang onto my 3 Windows Phones because I'd pretty much HAVE to pay someone to take them, and I'm serious.

Anyway, enjoy it while it lasts :smile:

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I left after many years on WP and I am shocked at how much I am actually enjoying Android! I love using the download feature on Netflix, I play Simpsons: Tapped Out every day, the Buffalo Bills app (which is sponsored by "Surface" BTW) is light years ahead of the awful and outdated WP version and don't get me started on the usefulness of my banking app over the mobile website I had pinned on my 1520.

All this, plus, Samsung has announced a fold-able Galaxy X phone for 2018 before MS has even admitted to be developing one...

After years of trying to convince everyone to jump on the WP bandwagon with me, I never thought I would say this, but, sorry MS, I wont be back.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I know I'm in the extreme minority but as long as the Microsoft PIM apps continue with their stellar bad selves, I won't leave. I rarely use Facebook unless my wife tells me to look at some cat pictures and I don't have any Instagram, Twitter, Whatsapp or any other social media accounts. Well, not counting Mobile Nations.

I'm old school so I prefer to talk to people and texting is ok if I'm in a meeting. Outside of that, Microsoft still makes the best Remote Desktop client and Continuum gives me x86 capability 24/7. I realize iPhones and some Androids are superior in some aspects but I find it hilarious how the Microsoft apps are consistently among the top downloads on Google Play and the App Store.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
To the OP, good luck to you. If it’s working for you there’s no reason to leave.
To most of us, it no longer works and we can see the writing on the wall. Life is too short to keep using an inferior product, or should I say inferior experience. It’s like having an old favorite car where it’s getting near impossible to find parts for. Eventually you get a new car and wonder why you didn’t years ago.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Reading about the new pixel 2, I feel more inclined to stick with windows mobile. Now more so than ever, there could be a mobile player who kind of keeps things going like they always have been. I personally don't like the spy angle google is taking android, with constant monitoring, and essentially treating users like the product.

If only MS did something to kind of keep things buoyant, the platform needs new hardware.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Apps? We don’t need no stinking apps.

Unless they rewrite the core apps the phones are still good for another couple of years. Hell, Skype still works on my Touchpad. Ain’t skeered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)