I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Who else is with me? Till the bitter end we stick together, we will make it through, and we know good things come to those who wait.

My 1520 finally crashed and screen shattered, I'm now looking for a 950XL as an upgrade or if I can find an HP x3 for cheap that'll be great too.

I don't think WM is a burning and a sinking ship at all, I just think we're in a transitional phase, and there's absolutely no reason why MS isn't doing something secretly in their Research Lab. They're most likely preparing for the post-smartphone era that's about to unfold in the next couple of years or so. I'm very excited to finally see the "foldable phone" they've been working on for quite some time now, and I'm sure it'll be great.

I would totally understand why you are leaving this platform, and it's absolutely within reason and totally justified, I won't miss you though because I know deep down inside, you've got a special place for WM and you'll eventually come back to us when a new spark has been ignited.

But for us who are staying and sticking through this long haul, we're going to be all right. Everything is going to be all right. We shall make it through and reap the rewards when the time is right.

I'm sticking till the very end. By choice of what I like and what I believe, and because the alternatives are awful.

Riopato

May 11, 2013
Visit site
If you plan on upgrading to a Lumia 950xl, be forewarn that the insider preview constantly freezes, randomly reboots, shuts down if the battery is below 50%, battery life drains immediately and causes it to overheat for no reason. The latest fast build on this phone causes random freezes when receiving notifications and continuously stutters what ever sound it makes as it freezes. I wouldn't say it's totally unstable, but you can be in a middle of phone conversation or writing a text and it will reboot on you. I've missed sms messages because again, it will reboot in the middle of receiving said sms. I don't seem to have this issue with the Alcatel Idol S4, but this has it's weird quirks also.

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Who else is with me? Till the bitter end we stick together, we will make it through, and we know good things come to those who wait.

My 1520 finally crashed and screen shattered, I'm now looking for a 950XL as an upgrade or if I can find an HP x3 for cheap that'll be great too.

I don't think WM is a burning and a sinking ship at all, I just think we're in a transitional phase, and there's absolutely no reason why MS isn't doing something secretly in their Research Lab. They're most likely preparing for the post-smartphone era that's about to unfold in the next couple of years or so. I'm very excited to finally see the "foldable phone" they've been working on for quite some time now, and I'm sure it'll be great.

I would totally understand why you are leaving this platform, and it's absolutely within reason and totally justified, I won't miss you though because I know deep down inside, you've got a special place for WM and you'll eventually come back to us when a new spark has been ignited.

But for us who are staying and sticking through this long haul, we're going to be all right. Everything is going to be all right. We shall make it through and reap the rewards when the time is right.

I love the photos and a 200GB SSD on my L950XL, I consider millions of apps most as bloatware, so I have not seen any newer Smartphone taking better photos and not having to delete them, I'll be fine for a couple of years! One of the best tech investments I have ever done as it still looks like new!

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm staying on my 950XL until a 7" Windows 10 tablet with cell capabilities is available. I don't miss any applications as the websites are easy to pin to the start screen and Cortana works with my calendar. I still have and use a Band 2 as well.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
You must've been a webOS user. Nobody else talks like that.

:grin: Hilarious! I just think it's funny how everyone acts like an announcement like this means we all have to instantly switch to something else. I've been using a borrowed Android (I already did that with iOS) just to familiarize myself for the future. At some point it will be inevitable. But I have two functioning Windows phones that I will continue to use even after I get something else, and I will do that until they are no longer functioning. I can't say I'm not sad about the demise, because I am. But, at the end of the day, they are just electronics and at some point in the future they will all be mostly forgotten.

raiderfan247365

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
I would love to stick with Windows Mobile but as many others have stated, MS doesn't want me to. I bought a 950 XL for myself and a 950 for my wife (both of them dirt cheap) in the last few months. The phones are easy to repair so I imagine we will keep these phones for a while (a screen shatter won't stop us) but once the vital apps we use go, we will move onto Android, of course unless something drastically changes with the surface phone or whatever, even then, I don't have a $1000 to drop on a "phone".

anon(5353068)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was going to stick it out but once groove is gone, i'm done. like yourself, my 1520 died two months ago and I foolishly bought a new lumia 950xl. Make me an offer and its yours if you plan on sticking it out.

Rahul cholate

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Let's see for the next ultimate mobile pc. If it's good with its services, then I will go for it. Or else I will adopt an other device sadly having no choice. Let the company drop the windows 10 mobile, but has to develop with its next software and get all the developers support!!!!! Hope for the best.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
there is a MASSIVE fire sale on the alcatel on the microsoft store. Picked up a brand new one for 249$ CAD.

9-10 months ago that might have excited me some but definitely not now - then there's the HP Elite x3 Bundle still hanging onto its $999.00 CAD price tag, should buy two of those LOL.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Canceled my Skype service 8 months ago as it was rubbish. Groove was holding me in Microsoft camp, but now that's finished I will be switching to Google docs and dumping office 365 as I was using the storage for both. This forcing me to use an alternative phone doesn't leave me any option's. For now still have a Xbox X on order but considering if I still want it atm.

Last edited:

Jorgealfa

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I also am knee on the ground with my Lumia 920 with WP10 still do not understand why Microsoft wants to end this operating system that for me is the best for more than half the world has Android and IOS because the same Microsoft is responsible for killing the system PE Ro If you work for the competition to give you your own applications like OneDrive, Oficcie, Skype and now the Edge browser when Chrome doesn't even want to have been worried at least to offer your browser. We have to do our best to make Microsoft create a new product and a mobile division to compete head-on because I know that we can get in the market with good support and improvements in the operating system. Best regards.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Joe Belifore has clarified that WP is pretty much dead, no more new features, I'm jumping ship this holiday season... Sucks, been here for a long time!

Agree, plus HP bailing. Nothing left. These two headlines convinced me to return the X3 I just purchased. I'll keep using my Idol 4S for awhile.

WinCoder

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
I'll be here until the next iteration (WoA) hits. As a developer, I can tell you that i still make more than 20x the money on WP apps than I do on Android or iOS. Can't see moving any time soon. Groove Music Pass getting closed does suck, but it is easy to see how it happened.

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
If they pulled there fingers out and offered Groove world wide they may of made the number they needed to sustain the groove model. Microsoft sucks when it comes to offering there services world wide.

ArmandsFM

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
It is clear that if anything will happen to my 950, I will not continue with Microsoft. Same for my family members who right now use Microsoft phones. To me 950 was exactly what I needed - 2 SIM cards, removable battery, expandable memory, wireless charging and good camera, live tiles etc. at one point it got even better when Microsoft band came. I could never really understand the level of repulsion that Microsoft has against loyal customers. I guess they just want them to be exterminated completely. Band was great product - yes it got some design issues that could be fixed in later releases, new features added. But no - you just toss the product out completely. My phone most likely will continue to run for 3-4 more years. But then will be question for me - where do I move - not only with my phone or devices, but perhaps it would be time to move away from Windows based laptop. It looks like only thing that Microsoft will have to offer for retail customers is Office. But it runs good enough on other systems. Microsoft is fully focused on making sure that customers try something else, not only in phones or gadgets, but also in PC/Laptop systems. Excel and Word will be able to keep people only for limited amount of time.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So when is the WM funeral?
I won't be there since WP/WM has been a very tiring ongoing death rattle.

Microsoft wins the foot-dragging award when so many others have seen the typhoon approaching.
If MS wanted this to work the company would have made it happen.

I want to thank MS for their efforts that helped me become a smartphone junkie again that eventually led me back to Android.
For this user Android has been what WP should have easily beat with things like marketing, development and carrier support.

Microsoft inexplicably screwed themselves and fans with screwy oddball moves concerning mobile.
I still don't understand it and wonder why WP wasn't taken care of after all the love it had from consumers and it's purveyors.
Just how business goes I guess.
WP/WM should have been an awesome contender...

RIP WM :(

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This new news we are reading lately though will hurt Microsoft in more ways than just Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile. That to me is also sad news.

OhmsFutility

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm in till the very bitter end. I just bought an Elite X3 because my 950 XL has been crashing a lot lately (possibly the memory card, still waiting to determine that before I actually do switch daily drivers). I'm hopeful that between these two devices I'll keep afloat till MS does come out with their next mobile foray. If not, well, I'll have to somehow bring myself to make a deal with the lesser devil. Whether that's Apple or Google, I really couldn't say at this point.

I had a bad interaction with Apple's customer service years ago, and I swore to myself (and the 'Genius' at the store) that they just lost a customer, for life. The thought of going with Apple is untenable.

At the same time, I have ZERO trust in, nor respect for Google. Obviously if I went with an Android I would minimize my use of any Google services in favor of those from MS, but I feel like that would be rather futile too. Just the thought of using a Google device makes me feel filthy..

Honestly, if such a day were to arrive that my current devices are broken or otherwise unusable, AND Microsoft has not come out with anything else to replace them, I may just go back to a feature phone for the sake of phone calls & texting, and do all my other business from a Surface. I just know for a fact that if I ever do leave the MS ecosystem, I will be doing it kicking and screaming.

On a side note, as most others here, I am too very disappointed about the cancellation of Groove, but its not a deal breaker for me. Ive always been very suspicious of cloud driven media services, for this very reason. Call me old fashioned, but I run my own server for storing most of my media (truly the only way of actually 'owning' digital media) Sure, im losing all of my streamed music from Music Pass, but anything I truly want, I already have bought on CD's. Anything else I'll have on (free) Spotify. In all likelihood, I'll be listening to much the same music I have thus far. The difference is, im now going to be less likely to listen to newer tracks due to an inferior streaming solution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs