I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

BrunoMG

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

Definition of Irony:

- a band called "the Doors" has a song that can be used to sing about the end of "Windows"

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps everyone is overreacting to this? Whether or not the platform is dead depends on each one of us and our definition of 'dead'. It might be dead because of no apps, it may be dead because of no new hardware, it may be dead because of some other thing. But for others it may still work for whatever they need it for and so, in that respect, the platform will always have a use and will necessarily be dead. It's up to how everyone interprets it for themselves.

If you no longer trust MS, and I wouldn't blame you, or you don't have the apps you need, then by all means, move to a platform that meets your needs. Microsoft tried, failed, tried, failed, tried and have failed again. They kept trying until Nadella decided enough is enough and who can really blame him? MS has definitely moved focus and instead is turning in to a software and services only company, as long as they get their products on as many devices they can then the remain relevant. They no longer want to build the house, they just want to make the furniture.

I will still keep using my 950XL. There are no apps I am willing to move platform for, and the price of the latest handsets on both Android and iOS is just too expensive for me. At a push, I would go for a Nokia Android device, if I really had to choose, but I am happy with what I have, MS may have given up hope on the platform and many others here and elsewhere may turn their backs, but, that doesn't mean I have to follow the crowd and do the same.

Whether you stay or go, as long as you do what is right for you, and that is what MS seems to be relaying to us all, that is the main thing.

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Currently my thinking is that I will ride out this last year of support for my HP Elite x3. There's nothing wrong with it. It will still do everything I need and is a high-quality device. If it doesn't break - and I've never broken a phone before, so it would be weird to start with this one despite it being water and dust proof - this will probably be good enough. It's tempting to get frustrated and jump ship purely out of that emotional reaction, but in my usage case, I don't see enough reason right now to go out and drop another $1000 on another phone.

That would put me around this time next year to re-evaluate when the new Fall batch of phones is announced. If Microsoft has shown something promising by then, fantastic, I'll likely move on to that. If not, I'll be able to weigh my Android/iOS options: the Pixel 3 or whatever the next iPhone is called or maybe something from TCL BlackBerry with a keyboard (I do miss the keyboard for working on the bus).

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps everyone is overreacting to this? Whether or not the platform is dead depends on each one of us and our definition of 'dead'. It might be dead because of no apps, it may be dead because of no new hardware, it may be dead because of some other thing. But for others it may still work for whatever they need it for and so, in that respect, the platform will always have a use and will necessarily be dead. It's up to how everyone interprets it for themselves.

No. This is not open to interpretation. The W10Mo platform has now officially been declared dead or at least abandonded by microsoft themselves. The fact that there will be no new features or hardware in the future means that the current platform is left to decay as it currently is. It is true, however, that anyone can decide for themselves wether or not they want to keep using the OS on their device as long as the device is still alive. But that's not how you define a platform.

I am happy for you if the current state of the platform and the impeding slow decay is good enough for you or anyone else. Go for it! Keep using your device until you no longer can if that is what you want.

In my oppionion, Satya Nadela is at least partially to blame for this, if not fully. There was a noticable reduction in effort on W10Mo once he became CEO. And while I have moved to android just about 2 years ago, i still often look back to the days I enjoyed using the WP8/W10Mo platform. It brought a lot of great features to the market that other platforms are still missing today or are not implemented as well. Thanks to Microsofts lack of effort though, Windows has been relegated from most of my digital life. Now my Desktop PC is the only device running Windows anymore, I had to replace all of my mobile devices with other platforms.

Farewell, W10Mo. It was nice knowing you, but your family didn't care for you.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Right there with you mmmmjaen, still love my 950XL and its working better than ever. Just hope its lasts three more years till surface or whatever arm device that supports phone calling comes out. :)

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
If you no longer trust MS, and I wouldn't blame you, or you don't have the apps you need, then by all means, move to a platform that meets your needs. Microsoft tried, failed, tried, failed, tried and have failed again. They kept trying until Nadella decided enough is enough and who can really blame him? MS has definitely moved focus and instead is turning in to a software and services only company, as long as they get their products on as many devices they can then the remain relevant. They no longer want to build the house, they just want to make the furniture.

Nadella was hired as CEO was the beginning of the end to W10m, you can't claim they "tried" when he gave half *** effort. It makes you kind of wonder, when the idea of UWA was announced a lot of people thought, wow, what a great idea. They also believed that could be the thing that turned WP around. Yet, now, after Nadella revealed his dislike for the direction of the mobile platform you kind of understand why it didn't take off.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No. This is not open to interpretation. The W10Mo platform has now officially been declared dead or at least abandonded by microsoft themselves. The fact that there will be no new features or hardware in the future means that the current platform is left to decay as it currently is. It is true, however, that anyone can decide for themselves wether or not they want to keep using the OS on their device as long as the device is still alive. But that's not how you define a platform.

I agree. I've heard it used with an analogy of a prisoner on his way to execution. The other inmates use the term "dead man walking" to describe him. The prisoner is technically alive, but cannot escape death, and the end is within a very defined timeline.

jgschwandtner

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got a WP 8.1 1020 that still (mostly) works. It's not to Microsoft's credit that they deliberately broke Skype on WP 8.1, and it's intriguing how my phone seems to freeze vastly more often since they stopped supporting WP 8.1. Not surprisingly, the battery is beginning to hold less and less charge. If I can nurse it along until a Surface mobile devices shows up, I will. I would much rather stay on this platform.

However, I had to replace a 1020 recently, and it's getting tough - even a new battery is hard to come by. I don't want to go to iOS, and I'm more likely to use a flip phone than to let Google watch everything I do. Nevertheless, if our Windows phones die before Microsoft comes up with the "next mobile device," we may have to look at migrating to Apple. Mobile phones are built with planned obsolescence in mind, and running an old phone is becoming harder and harder.

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I guess the only hook to use W10m to stay in a MS Ecosystem, is the pay once use everywhere. Other than that, most MS software can be used on Android and iOS, so with the lack of apps, there is little incentive to stay in W10m. Most data can be synced via one drive, so I doubt I will feel any pain using W10 on desktop and laptop and Android on phone/tablet.

Hardware is pretty much not a differentiator on the higher end phones, so there is little there.

But the only 3 reasons I stay with W10m on my L950 and pretty much making a switch to android/iOs a non-starter are:
- Live Tiles (I mean Live Tile functionality, no tiles UI)
- Glance
- UI (I know Android has some Tile look a like launcher, but it is not the same).

Back in the good old WP7 days, it used to be People's Hub and OS smoothness/reliability a huge differentiator. The integration with social media was awesome. Too bad they got rid of it.

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

I will still keep using my 950XL. There are no apps I am willing to move platform for, and the price of the latest handsets on both Android and iOS is just too expensive for me. At a push, I would go for a Nokia Android device, if I really had to choose, but I am happy with what I have, MS may have given up hope on the platform and many others here and elsewhere may turn their backs, but, that doesn't mean I have to follow the crowd and do the same.

Whether you stay or go, as long as you do what is right for you, and that is what MS seems to be relaying to us all, that is the main thing.
I believe the issue for many is they have held onto older hardware or phones with problems for awhile with the hope that MS would come out with something new. Others have been waiting for new features in the OS. The latest statements are clear if you want updated HW and an actively developed OS it's time to move on.

For others that are happy with their Windows phones and enjoy the experience there is no reason to move.

Tigerinc

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm definitely staying. I always try the others and quickly come back. Enjoying my 950 (work) and 950 XL right now. Some serious advantages remain for us on this OS and hardware at the moment. :)

Burnnerman

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I am going to stick with it till my phone gives up the ghost or Microsoft releases their rumored mobile windows core product in 2018-2019 time frame.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
One thing that's making it very difficult for me to consider other phones is the camera, last weekend went with a friend around a lot of scenic areas, and she has a SGS8, I just can't see what the hype around the SGS8 camera is, photos just don't come out as well as the L950 ones.

Last edited:

Juan Stevens

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Who else is with me? Till the bitter end we stick together, we will make it through, and we know good things come to those who wait.

My 1520 finally crashed and screen shattered, I'm now looking for a 950XL as an upgrade or if I can find an HP x3 for cheap that'll be great too.

I don't think WM is a burning and a sinking ship at all, I just think we're in a transitional phase, and there's absolutely no reason why MS isn't doing something secretly in their Research Lab. They're most likely preparing for the post-smartphone era that's about to unfold in the next couple of years or so. I'm very excited to finally see the "foldable phone" they've been working on for quite some time now, and I'm sure it'll be great.

I would totally understand why you are leaving this platform, and it's absolutely within reason and totally justified, I won't miss you though because I know deep down inside, you've got a special place for WM and you'll eventually come back to us when a new spark has been ignited.

But for us who are staying and sticking through this long haul, we're going to be all right. Everything is going to be all right. We shall make it through and reap the rewards when the time is right.

Not going anywhere. And I'm actually one of those people that uses continuum. And I believe they'll be playing the word games. Yes mobile is dead but they'll have full Windows 10 devices that can make calls. They haven't finished aligning all their tools yet. Soon they will have a real write once and hit every platform. And they're hoping the windows mixed reality will bring companies to create apps. Please. it's just beginning. I don't fault anyone for taking the easy path and leaving. But I know they'll be back. lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss