I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Threads getting weird.
Not sure what it's about anymore.

"Standing my ground" infers a battle of some sort.
At my age I'd rather sit in a chair vs. standing my ground.
Standing too long hurts my feet.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually tgeekB...
I doubt there is anyone more hopeful in wanting Microsoft to get to that goal they keep stating over and over again. I believe they have made several short sided mistakes trying to get there quickly. They didn't realize what they were asking of their overall company and it's many tentacles (divisions). I think Nadella has stepped in and realized this. I hope he understands Microsoft needs to shrink into a more centralized corporation. Meaning: If your end goal is to have one OS(WCOS) , then you cannot have several divisions working as their own company with their own stated set of goals. One OS across all platforms including Xbox... He must rein them in and engineering towards the stated goal. I think this is why for now, business, is their focus. WCOS (W10) will in itself supply the much needed features for mobile phones to come. Think about it.. If W10 (WCOS) works on all platforms then everything which is built upon it will negate the need to have a mobile department.
That's all fine and dandy but don't lose sight of the fact that shareholders need to be happy first and foremost. To that end, maybe you're not aware that Microsoft makes money on every single Android device that sells. It's the best kind too - pure profit since there's no overhead attached. Hardware has a myriad of costs attached to it which comes as no surprise why BlackBerry divested itself of its hardware division and let TCL handle those headaches. Is it any wonder why BB's P&L sheet looks so good lately?

Microsoft is headed in the same general direction as they're pushing all their apps and services to iOS and Android. Sounds self-defeating but look at where Microsoft apps are on each of the 2 App Stores' charts. They're putting the name out there in the hopes that consumers associate Microsoft with top of the line apps and services. When the time is right, I'm sure Microsoft will take another stab at hardware. But don't expect any type of phone as we know it.

SUCKITUPBUTTERCUP

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
That's all fine and dandy but don't lose sight of the fact that shareholders need to be happy first and foremost. To that end, maybe you're not aware that Microsoft Microsoft with top of the line apps and services. When the time is right, I'm sure Microsoft will take another stab at hardware. But don't expect any type of phone as we know it.

I agree with Android and Iphone apps. The hardware aspect not so much. I think they will make some but more so on the business side and good luck affording those devices. I think WCOS will open up W10 phones to the masses through OEM's, HP, IBM, Dell, HTC, Samsung.....I think Microsoft increases the hardware eventually but after the OEM'S do the heavy lifting. Microsoft is positioned well to have it's cake, (ADRD, APLLE APPS) and eat (OEM) it to if they can shrink the company into a more efficient and one minded entity.
Side note: Android, Apple , OEMS, should lead to bleed over into Microsoft devices as well.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I agree with Android and Iphone apps. The hardware aspect not so much. I think they will make some but more so on the business side and good luck affording those devices. I think WCOS will open up W10 phones to the masses through OEM's, HP, IBM, Dell, HTC, Samsung.....I think Microsoft increases the hardware eventually but after the OEM'S do the heavy lifting. Microsoft is positioned well to have it's cake, (ADRD, APLLE APPS) and eat (OEM) it to if they can shrink the company into a more efficient and one minded entity.
Side note: Android, Apple , OEMS, should lead to bleed over into Microsoft devices as well.

I just don’t see this happening anytime in the near future. Those OEM’s have attempted to develop hardware for MS and it has been a dismal failure. It will be hard to convince them to continue when Apple and Android clearly lead the market. We’ve been hearing about magic bullets from MS for a long time but I don’t see any real commitment. As previously stated, they are (smartly) following the path of BlackBerry who one owned the mobile market. Things may change down the road but that road is many miles long.

SUCKITUPBUTTERCUP

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Windows central app still a little quarky. Above was to go with this...hmm
To TgeekB:

They must do this by 2019 if not before. WCOS rumored to be out by late 2018.

Keep in mind...They all already sell W10 pc, notebook, and tablets....I predict phones bundled with each devices(s). A great way to promote seamless connectivity as and 1. WCOS means no additional OS...it is the same as what is on desktop, notebook, and tablets. Microsoft may need to throw in an incentive like buy two devices covered as one OS. Buy two for the price of one... Bundle the crap out of them. Get the devices in as many hands as possible.

Last edited:

SUCKITUPBUTTERCUP

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't figured it out yet? I'm standing My ground. I don't know exactly what Microsoft will do. I just know W10 was created with a purpose and Microsoft is all in because of W10. There is no turning back now. They must push to carve a spot out in the mobile platform to stay relevant. One can only wait and hope they do.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't figured it out yet? I'm standing My ground. I don't know exactly what Microsoft will do. I just know W10 was created with a purpose and Microsoft is all in because of W10. There is no turning back now. They must push to carve a spot out in the mobile platform to stay relevant. One can only wait and hope they do.
Again...
Who are you addressing?
In your replies you can add "@username" or simply quote the user to point the discussion for focus.

Your replies are hard to follow currently.

SUCKITUPBUTTERCUP

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
To: Guytronic
Again if I cared if you and only you need to respond I will address you specifically as this statement is directed to you Guytronic. Otherwise if no one is listed specifically then anyone that is following the thread can respond if said statement strikes a chord or not respond if such chord isn't struck. Quit trying to push your perceived format onto others. I I respond without a quote or a specific name then... It is meant for who ever feels it (with in themselves) worth a response. As for focus. ??? Pointing it into focus for discussion. That is what my statements and words are for.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Again if I cared if you and only you need to respond I will address you specifically as this statement is directed to you Guytronic. Otherwise if no one is listed specifically then anyone that is following the thread can respond if said statement strikes a chord or not respond if such chord isn't struck. Quit trying to push your perceived format onto others. I I respond without a quote or a specific name then... It is meant for who ever feels it (with in themselves) worth a response. As for focus. ??? Pointing it into focus for discussion. That is what my statements and words are for.
Message received...
If you want to post in a confusing manner we will be more than happy to accommodate.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying here either.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Sir, @Guytronic is a forum moderator. It's his duty to keep the boards in a uniform manner. It's not perception.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
So i picked up a V30, and have been trying it out. It came with a 14 return option. After using it for 2 weeks, I returned it today. In many ways it's such a great phone. Love how it feels; the rounded corners; great screen; so many great things; BUT:
The camera;( It's ok, but compared to my 950XL, it noticeably inferior. I see reviews stating it's 'Good'; well, that's not 'Great', and my 950 XL camera is 'Fantastic'. There's WAY too big of a gap between 'Good' and 'Fantastic'. The front camera is even worse, especially indoors in low light. Too bad. The Android versions of all the apps I've been using on my Windows phone are so much better (ie they work). Spotify on my 950 XL is so finicky and unstable, it's almost useless. And this is what makes me MAD! I don't want to switch, but i feel i'm almost being forced to. I love Window 10 mobile; i love my 950 XL hardware, but....the apps are so inferior or missing from our ecosystem. I've gone back to my 950 XL for the time being; i like the 4:3 aspect ratio; i'm not convinced the new 18:9 screens are the way to go; they seem to 'tall and narrow'.
But the camera is the deal breaker for me....look at the difference, especially the pink flower pot...
WP_20171119_12_56_13_Rich (3).jpg
20171119_110327 (2).jpg

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Keep it simple. I don't use a billion apps, I use 1 app at a time. So, for phone calls to Excel spreadsheet to Live Tiles I'm staying with Microsoft Windows products. Looking to the next innovation that the others will copy and take credit for, Humm! Enough said!

This sums me up too.

nasznjoka

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
So i picked up a V30, and have been trying it out. It came with a 14 return option. After using it for 2 weeks, I returned it today. In many ways it's such a great phone. Love how it feels; the rounded corners; great screen; so many great things; BUT:
The camera;( It's ok, but compared to my 950XL, it noticeably inferior. I see reviews stating it's 'Good'; well, that's not 'Great', and my 950 XL camera is 'Fantastic'. There's WAY too big of a gap between 'Good' and 'Fantastic'. The front camera is even worse, especially indoors in low light. Too bad. The Android versions of all the apps I've been using on my Windows phone are so much better (ie they work). Spotify on my 950 XL is so finicky and unstable, it's almost useless. And this is what makes me MAD! I don't want to switch, but i feel i'm almost being forced to. I love Window 10 mobile; i love my 950 XL hardware, but....the apps are so inferior or missing from our ecosystem. I've gone back to my 950 XL for the time being; i like the 4:3 aspect ratio; i'm not convinced the new 18:9 screens are the way to go; they seem to 'tall and narrow'.
But the camera is the deal breaker for me....look at the difference, especially the pink flower pot...
View attachment 138151
View attachment 138152

haven't it occured to you that you picked a bad phone?? Android gotta lotta of phones you pick one , not impressed with the camera you come back crying, c'mon men ever heard of Samsung,OnePlus, Moto etc etc .... iphone anyone??

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I was like this like 5 years ago. I was so happy with with my Nokia 900. My dream Phone was the 720 to be honest. I loved the development community that helped bring apps to winpho when no one else would. I liked being the only person having windows phone amongst my friends. Then Microsoft took away the core features and starting giving their services to the competition, I went somewhere else. Currently with an iPhone 7 Plus. I have access to every competitor’s app so why leave?

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Nearly two weeks removed from the platform and I gotta say, not regretting it yet. Yes, win10m has unique features that set it apart from the rest. But, being able to "get with the times" is something it can't deliver. I've been using Launcher 10 so my wife and I dint get too homesick, but other than that, being able to check into flights with a notification from an app vs setting an alarm to knowing we can have any app we want, even if we don't use it, has been eye opening to say the least. Each of our pixel phones have every app we had on win10m, because the basics were there. But being able to grasp the severity of the app gap from the outside has been the most eye opening. The look, speed, and seeing numerous updates since starting in the OS has been amazing. They care! Meanwhile win10m apps receive maybe one to two major updates a year and are buggy. I'm not bashing the platform, and to be honest I feel we will be back in a couple of years once MS gets their $hit together regarding mobile. But having said the above I do miss it. I miss the detail of my 950xl camera but you know what I don't miss? Waiting to save and missing moments. The pixel 2 camera is not as detailed at the 950, but stfu if you don't believe it's a more capable camera. We aren't photographers by trade so quit acting like you all use manual and set up every shot. Being able to rattle off 7-10 straight shots without stalling or feeling the phone get warm can't be put aside for fan boy reasons. And knowing that MS threw in the towel on it, no reason to stick around. The issues I had with the X3 freezing will never get fixed, imo, as there is no motivation from either party to do so. They don't care, why should we?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
haven't it occured to you that you picked a bad phone?? Android gotta lotta of phones you pick one , not impressed with the camera you come back crying, c'mon men ever heard of Samsung,OnePlus, Moto etc etc .... iphone anyone??
He did state that he doesn't like the 2:1 aspect ratio that seems to be all the rage. That eliminates any new Samsung or the iPhone X. Now are you going to say any Moto or OPO has a better camera than a 950? We can agree the app gap is very real or W10M plain sucks for some, but there's no denying the 950 has an unmatched camera even considering today's best phones.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I don't remember if I posted this or not.

One of my friends, a longtime WP and WM user, finally went with the horrid SGS8 and ditched his 950xl. He sent me a picture of all his Microsoft phone boxes lined up. Lots of investment down the drain:

QuYYbLi.jpg

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss