I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
One word to explain this illusion of apps needed to make a phone useful or cannot do without one. "codependency" name one app that isn't eye candy, social media , and better yet required to have on phone which cannot be done through other means on Windows mobile.

But that’s what makes a smartphone a smartphone. Sure, I don’t have to control my thermostat from anywhere in the world so my dogs are comfortable, but I can with my iPhone. Having that and other similar things are important to me and many others.

SUCKITUPBUTTERCUP

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
But that’s what makes a smartphone a smartphone. Sure, I don’t have to control my thermostat from anywhere in the world so my dogs are comfortable, but I can with my iPhone. Having that and other similar things are important to me and many others.

I thought it was the addition of the internet, interactive interface, touch screen, to a device that made phone calls which was mobile which made it a smart phone.
Apps again 99% of them well ok 95% of them are gimmicks.

Definition of smartphone
: a cell phone that includes additional software functions (such as e-mail or an.

Then again all the above comes integrated with W mobile just by having a Microsoft account. All banks have mobile web versions, credit companies, Facebook, etc...etc..
Edge browser works great in most cases and functional on the rest. Everything else is set up through text and email to communicate. There are plenty of games and tool on W mobile to entertain / function.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I thought it was the addition of the internet, interactive interface, touch screen, to a device that made phone calls which was mobile which made it a smart phone.
Apps again 99% of them well ok 95% of them are gimmicks.

Definition of smartphone
: a cell phone that includes additional software functions (such as e-mail or an.

Then again all the above comes integrated with W mobile just by having a Microsoft account. All banks have mobile web versions, credit companies, Facebook, etc...etc..
Edge browser works great in most cases and functional on the rest. Everything else is set up through text and email to communicate. There are plenty of games and tool on W mobile to entertain / function.

Smartphones may have started with email, etc. but have certainly developed since then. No one thought of AR back then but now it’s about to explode. I was recently shopping for living room furniture and was able to see exactly how it would look in my house. Necessary? Of course not. Helpful? Sure was.

I agree that many apps are gimmicks but I wouldn’t say 95%. While you or I may not need a particular one, someone else might. Having that as an option is nice. All websites are not the same as an app. You cannot deposit checks on every mobile website where you may be able to from their app.

I want to be very clear, I am not knocking Windows Mobile or anyone who uses it. It is perfect for many people. What I don’t accept is knocking other platforms or stating their differences are not needed or people only use them to “fit in”. That is a weak argument. All the platforms can stand on their own and bring different uses to different people.

SUCKITUPBUTTERCUP

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Smartphones may have started with email, etc. but have certainly developed since then. No one thought of AR back then but now it’s about to explode. I was recently shopping for living room furniture and was able to see exactly how it would look in my house. Necessary? Of course not. Helpful? Sure was.

I want to be very clear, I am not knocking Windows Mobile or anyone who uses it. It is perfect for many people. What I don’t accept is knocking other platforms or stating their differences are not needed or people only use them to “fit in”. That is a weak argument. All the platforms can stand on their own and bring different uses to different people.

Just the opposite: Didn't say anything about how other platforms were inferior. I was pointing out how the app or lack there of actually comes down to entertainment /social media the knock on W10m severely over stated.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just the opposite: Didn't say anything about how other platforms were inferior. I was pointing out how the app or lack there of actually comes down to entertainment /social media the knock on W10m severely over stated.
It's not about social media and entertainment. There are many apps that lack certain basic functions that the competition has. Even though I don't do it, I know that many people like to do mobile deposit and with so many banking apps gone, it's a problem for some and Edge isn't an option.

I believe Windows has more functionality out of the box than Android and iOS. But the inability to enhance the experience through apps is why the platform is where it is.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It's not about social media and entertainment. There are many apps that lack certain basic functions that the competition has. Even though I don't do it, I know that many people like to do mobile deposit and with so many banking apps gone, it's a problem for some and Edge isn't an option.

I believe Windows has more functionality out of the box than Android and iOS. But the inability to enhance the experience through apps is why the platform is where it is.

A well said and honest comment coming from a true Windows Mobile fan.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
You people are crazy.

I miss my WP. I loved it. I developed for it. I owned about a dozen devices.

... but I finally gave up about 6 months ago. Why torture yourself? Eventually you device will crap out, are you going to spend money to replace it? Eventually the OS won't work, what then?

Stop living in loser denial guys.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
One word to explain this illusion of apps needed to make a phone useful or cannot do without one. "codependency" name one app that isn't eye candy, social media , and better yet required to have on phone which cannot be done through other means on Windows mobile.

I don't need a washing machine because I could clean my clothes through other means. Hell I don't NEED electricity either.

chidoro42

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
What crowd are iPhone people following; the crowd is only in the USA; this was posted today on MSN:

Average selling prices for smartphones are expected to rise to $317 by 2021, up from $282 in 2016.

IDC estimated the market share for Android-powered devices to be 85.1 percent this year, and mirror the overall market over the next few years to hit 85.3 percent by 2021.

The market share for Apple is estimated at 14.8 percent in 2017, and seen slipping to 14.6 percent by 2021, IDC said.

Apple's global market share wil not go up any longer evem if their overall userbase increases. it simply will not grow as quickly as android since the next billion users who join smartphone ownership will be lower income individuals who aee not iphone candidates.

Just joined apple for the 1st time ever with an 8+ 256 gig model over thanksgiving weekend. couldnt be happier. And holding out so long made the update that much more impressive.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Well I don't know if I commented here before but I'll just say (again) that I wish Microsoft held the statu quo with Windows Mobile.
I realize that the fact nobody ever thinks of WM10 allows us to have apps with fewer to no ads and no weird implementations/so-called improvements.

Someone mentioned YouTube being plagued with ads in the Android version and I agree. On WM10 you can have an app like myTube that gives you the same functionalities as Youtube Red.

Same for Messenger for Facebook. The W8 version was very good and didn't lag at all.

The fact that we are being left aside makes us free from all those marketing tweaks they are trying to force on us on Android.

I see it that way.

It's certainly not the best phone OS ever but it does the job and that's all I'm asking from this phone.
For all the fun (and battery drains) I have Android on my tablet, charging 24/7.

Totally agree with you I am using a Lumia 950 and I now have a Samsung Galaxy S8.

All the apps are up to date and the S8 is beautiful but the apps FB, FB Messenger, Reddit, Twitter & Youtube suck due to all the ads.

You may not get the new app updates on Window 10 Mobile but after using the same apps on Android and IOS Windows 10 Mobile is a better cleaner and ad free platform.

I find the same with the tablet experience I prefer using the apps on my cheap Lenovo Atom based tablet to the ad infested iPad.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Why buy a washing machine when beating your clothes against rocks works just as well.
You 3rd world Americans. Hasn't anybody mentioned a buckboard to you yet? I'm not trying to sound elitist but we had the best buckboards in Cuba. And the outhouses? They would make Robin Leach green with envy.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the MS launcher and all the MS apps on the Galaxy S8 but I really do prefer Groove Music, Grover Pro, Readit, FB, FB Messenger, Twitter and MyTube! on Windows 10 Mobile to the apps on Android.

Simple things like the standard dark theme for everything is much better in Windows 10 Mobile than you can get in Android.

I miss being able to play my locally stored music in Groove music, I am using Samsung music for that but I would like the holly grail an app the I can run ln everything from Windows 10 PC to Android phone or Apple iPad.

I guess I will have to wait for PWA's to take off to get what I would like.

For my podcast listening I could go to Pocket Casts and use the web player on the PC and sync it to to my phones & iPad.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You 3rd world Americans. Hasn't anybody mentioned a buckboard to you yet? I'm not trying to sound elitist but we had the best buckboards in Cuba. And the outhouses? They would make Robin Leach green with envy.

Listen pal, I’ve read all the articles about the new buckboard X but I’m not a sheeple like you cubans are. $1000 for a buckboard X when there are perfectly good rocks down by the river? I’ve been using rocks since 7.0 and I don’t need all the new fangled stuff that comes with buckboards. I bet your buckboard will break the first time you drop it too. What are you doing on this rock forum anyway, trolling? Go back to the buckboard forum and leave us alone!

A proud rock user.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Listen pal, I’ve read all the articles about the new buckboard X but I’m not a sheeple like you cubans are. $1000 for a buckboard X when there are perfectly good rocks down by the river? I’ve been using rocks since 7.0 and I don’t need all the new fangled stuff that comes with buckboards. I bet your buckboard will break the first time you drop it too. What are you doing on this rock forum anyway, trolling? Go back to the buckboard forum and leave us alone!

A proud rock user.
You arrogant Americans!!! Always think you have the best of everything and can't admit it when someone from another country has something better. Keep your precious rocks from your dirty rivers and wash your filthy Levis.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750