I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

Michel Chartrand

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
I used to think that too but these days website versions are so crippled sometimes they're unusable on W10M/Edge. Constant popups saying "Hey you're on mobile, download our app! iOS/Android links here."

I could not even get mixer to work in Edge and MS don't have an app, which is dumb since Mixer is owned by them. It's starting to get annoying.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I used to think that too but these days website versions are so crippled sometimes they're unusable on W10M/Edge. Constant popups saying "Hey you're on mobile, download our app! iOS/Android links here."

I could not even get mixer to work in Edge and MS don't have an app, which is dumb since Mixer is owned by them. It's starting to get annoying.
Have you tried Mixer+

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

Set edge on your mobile phone to desktop version and you should stop getting those pop ups.... Most times, but not ALL the time

squeezy99

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I will use my 950XL till it falls apart _ it is great and the camera is something else. RAW photos with Lightroom, cracking stuff.
I have recently replaced my wife's Lumia 650's screen, easy to do. I have also had to repair a screen on an Android device, much more difficult, sticky tape etc. And Android OS is terrible to set up compared to Windows 10.
Come on MS, why ditch the best system around? More advertising....

Aithan

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site

Some of it isn't MSFT's fault at all.

There are websites that will deliberately mislead people into believing that their site can't be viewed on so-and-so device or browser.

The truth is is that they can be. Just not necessarily how the web designers want people to view it, pixel for pixel, ad for ad.

Coincidentally, MSFT tends to correctly block out the most ads in my experience.

Case in point, I'm on Chrome on an Android right now and a forum ad link that I accidentally opened popped into a page which popped up with a 'Your Android device is infected' ad which is a 'download malware' scheme aimed at Android users.

If I were on my 640 right now, it wouldn't have happened - even if I clicked on that same link.

I discovered this discrepancy when I was still using UC Browser and wondering why the native web browser was having problems. I opened the same page / site using UC's ability to mask itself as a different browser and discovered that I actually -could- view it and that it was the website itself was the culprit and not my browser.

True, there were and still are sites that are problematic, but now with Edge it should be less and less.

Try desktop version like was suggested and / or make sure you're not low on phone resources.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
yeah that's a very good point you bring up, I've noticed that too using chrome instead of Edge or vice versa, I thought I was just being paranoid and that websites (webmasters who probably favor chrome android or safari) would not maliciously mess with Edge users, but I guess not

sporosarcina

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I stick with my 950 but have tried the MS Android experience on my Nexus 7 tablet. It is pretty good but until Edge is fully functional on Android I don't think I could make the jump. The integration of W10M with my desktop, Surface, and Ultrabook is just too good. In addition you cant really use MS movies or books on other devices (Bing rewards and sales are great for books).

Sandycapp

Dec 20, 2017
Visit site
A prediction from me. Your 950 or whatever will continue working, and remain secure until 2019. In 2018 Microsoft will complete the OS redesign, and launch the new, expensive, (not a phone) devices. Third parties (HP?) will jump on the wagon and produce lower cost (is a phone) devices. I am confident that come the end of 2018 I'll be able to replace my 950 with a new device (a PHONE) running whatever the new Windows 10 mobile is called. Hang in there.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
A prediction from me. Your 950 or whatever will continue working, and remain secure until 2019. In 2018 Microsoft will complete the OS redesign, and launch the new, expensive, (not a phone) devices. Third parties (HP?) will jump on the wagon and produce lower cost (is a phone) devices. I am confident that come the end of 2018 I'll be able to replace my 950 with a new device (a PHONE) running whatever the new Windows 10 mobile is called. Hang in there.

From your lips to Gods ears:wink:

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

I hope your prediction is correct.
We are staying with our Windows mobile phones. For my wife and I, there is nothing better. We'll continue to support what we like.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to stand my ground, love my 950 XL, but now this happened:
wp_ss_20171221_0001.jpg

This is just bad; very disheartening. Same thing with my Spotify; i've reinstalled it a number of times, and it just keeps crashing, and lagging, and 'resuming'...yesterday, i couldn't even get it to play through a single song without stopping...

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 138422

This is just bad; very disheartening. Same thing with my Spotify; i've reinstalled it a number of times, and it just keeps crashing, and lagging, and 'resuming'...yesterday, i couldn't even get it to play through a single song without stopping...

well it looks like you can still use the web page for that, so all you do is pin the website to you start and it will look and act like the app, maybe even work better... I find the web sites work better than the app counter part anyways.. like my online banking for example. of course your mileage might vary... and as for Spotify that has never played well on Windows and I blame that to favor-ism. I find they don't work well on Edge or anything to do with Windows... I think its done purposely to favor the other OS's... call me crazy but that's what I'm observing. wouldn't be the first time that has happened.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 138422

That is what this thread is all about. For some, the issues are small and they continue to enjoy their favorite mobile OS. For others, it has become too much to handle. Only you can know what is best for you. There are plenty of choices.
Best of luck!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't take it any more!!! I just went back to my L650 from Moto G4+. There were just to many things I missed about my W10M phone. Here are some of the things that made me go back:

1. G4+ would just randomly reboot on it's own.
  2. Google ALWAYS knowing where I was and asking me to rate whatever store I was in.
  3. Read/Reply text messages aloud when driving via Bluetooth. (Actually this should be #1 )
  4. More room to pin apps, and resize, and live tiles.
  5. G4+ always corrupting my microSD card. What's up with not being able to handle FAT, FAT32, etc. formats properly?
  6. Not having to worry about malware, viruses, spying, apps.
  7. Better integration with W10 in general.
  8. Just over all ease of use W10M compared to Android. Sure MS ported their big apps (Outlook, OneNote, etc.) to Android, but they just don't feel as clean and easy to use.

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head. I have two apps for 'work' that are never going to be on W10(anything). But to be honest, I'm realizing that I really don't use them that much. If I really need them I can dig up my G4+ and use it over Wi-Fi, if need be.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't take it any more!!! I just went back to my L650 from Moto G4+. There were just to many things I missed about my W10M phone. Here are some of the things that made me go back:

1. G4+ would just randomly reboot on it's own.
  2. Google ALWAYS knowing where I was and asking me to rate whatever store I was in.
  3. Read/Reply text messages aloud when driving via Bluetooth. (Actually this should be #1 )
  4. More room to pin apps, and resize, and live tiles.
  5. G4+ always corrupting my microSD card. What's up with not being able to handle FAT, FAT32, etc. formats properly?
  6. Not having to worry about malware, viruses, spying, apps.
  7. Better integration with W10 in general.
  8. Just over all ease of use W10M compared to Android. Sure MS ported their big apps (Outlook, OneNote, etc.) to Android, but they just don't feel as clean and easy to use.

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head. I have two apps for 'work' that are never going to be on W10(anything). But to be honest, I'm realizing that I really don't use them that much. If I really need them I can dig up my G4+ and use it over Wi-Fi, if need be.

Sounds like you made the right move.
Enjoy your 650.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
well it looks like you can still use the web page for that, so all you do is pin the website to you start and it will look and act like the app, maybe even work better... I find the web sites work better than the app counter part anyways..

I went to the web site, and it actually does not have a payment option, so i can't use it in a store...so sad. I can't believe this; how on earth can Nadella sit on the Starbucks board and give the approval to discontinue his own company's app?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I went to the web site, and it actually does not have a payment option, so i can't use it in a store...so sad. I can't believe this; how on earth can Nadella sit on the Starbucks board and give the approval to discontinue his own company's app?

This is where people who say the website is the same as the app are wrong. It may be in some instances but overwhelmingly it is not. That is just an excuse that should not be tolerated.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Why should he care? He uses Android.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Target doesn't support tap-to-pay but their app uses a QR code to validate coupons and link your RedCard for payment. Oops I forgot, we don't have a Target app. But it is possible to have contact-less payment without NFC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99