I'm standing my ground, and sticking with Windows Mobile.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
My 1520 hums along on the latest w10m just fine. EOL but still serves basic functionality perfectly. Battery life still stellar too lol. 7 yrs old and still crusin.

I went thru several 1520s at the end of my WM10 run. I had a white one, red one, yellow one. I loved that phone from the first time I saw it at an AT&T store!!

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Nate0:
Yes are great for kids for all those reasons. Plus they still work very well for what Needs to be done on a phone. I know we all have Wants and perceived needs. Althoughfor the vast majority of people a phone is a convience device (facebook etc).

As title of thread says... I am sticking with it until the ship is sunk and buried in the ocean. No Google for me, a dumb phone will return if need be.:smile:

Without Strava and Garmin Connect support, the Windows Mobile platform has become completely useless to me.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Without Strava and Garmin Connect support, the Windows Mobile platform has become completely useless to me.

Pretty dumbed-down phones for me too w/o the essential apps I rely on. Never found the web browsing experience close to being acceptable neither and that in itself really cripples these devices as well. Make great conservation pieces though, or paperweights LOL.

breaker119

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
mine sits on a wireless charger on my dresser. sometimes it just does things better than my android...or when my droid needs charging.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

My Sigma Rox 10.0 bike computer has given me all the Strava integration I've needed, for years. The current 12.0 model is even fancier. Still don't want nor need the tracking on my 950.

All our tastes and needs are different, which is how all these devices survive and thrive. I'm less phone-centric than most any WC subscriber, and thankful my 950 has been meeting nearly all of my smartphone needs since 20 Nov 2015. I have had two (actually now 3) angroid devices since last summer -two are loaded and ready to ride when the day comes. I use them occasionally for gasbuddy, and less-so for soundhound. Enjoy whatever devices you're fortunate to own.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I recall the day when MS bought Minecraft. Right at that moment... right there... they could have released media EXCLUSIVELY for Windows Mobile. An army of kids would have wanted the platform and, as usual, the adults would have followed as they do like to be 'cool'.

Oh well! It never happened.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I recall the day when MS bought Minecraft. Right at that moment... right there... they could have released media EXCLUSIVELY for Windows Mobile. An army of kids would have wanted the platform and, as usual, the adults would have followed as they do like to be 'cool'.

Oh well! It never happened.

Microsoft tried that with Office. Instead of buying Windows phones, users were dropping Office or not using it on their mobile devices. They were not buying Windows phones! Why would we expect otherwise with Minecraft?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft tried that with Office. Instead of buying Windows phones, users were dropping Office or not using it on their mobile devices. They were not buying Windows phones! Why would we expect otherwise with Minecraft?
Office is for grownups, I can see his rationale. I frankly have no idea what Minecraft is but if it's popular with the kids, then I would have to agree with @excalibur1814. I had never heard of TikTok until the Orange Cheetoh got his panties all bunched up so I'm not discounting the purchasing power of the youngsters. Well, their parents' power.

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Office is for grownups, I can see his rationale. I frankly have no idea what Minecraft is but if it's popular with the kids, then I would have to agree with @excalibur1814. I had never heard of TikTok until the Orange Cheetoh got his panties all bunched up so I'm not discounting the purchasing power of the youngsters. Well, their parents' power.

The reason Balmer was fired was the loss of customers for Microsoft main business productivity apps and enterprise products due to their lack of good iOS and Android support. Microsoft lost Billions of dollars to achieve about 2-3% market share in the leading industrial countries. MS was also starting to lose Windows Support due to stupid decisions like trying to force Metro interfaces onto their customers. I am in the Tech industry and was watching all of this happen. I attended a tech education show in Penn the year before Ballmer was fired. We had a cool educational based support for O365 for education. We had one school district interested, why - because all of the others we talked to were using Google Education Services.

Since the change in leadership Microsoft has come roaring back in the enterprises and other industries. Our O365 support is now paying off. This is due to a complete reversal from Microsoft in being client platform agnostic.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
The writing is on the wall. I received message from Cricket that if you swap a sim from a device that they deem does not support HD voice after 1-19-2021 and try to swap back it will not function. Cricket says no supported phones are cut off in February 2022. They say to use IMEI checker to check your phone. Guess what my ATT Lumia 950 comes up does not support HD voice! We all know it does unless ATT has done something different to change that? My mother on T-Mobile with her Alcatel Idol 4s Windows phone made the cut on 1-29-2021 as her phone is still working. I sure hope it continues until she no longer needs a cell phone, as I am not looking forward to getting her up to speed on I phone or android..

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Att website has a page of supported phones after February 2022. The Lumia 950 and 950XL are both on it. Why would Cricket be different? How do you tell if you are on a HD voice call with Cricket or ATT? My wife has a new LG Thin Q and it like our windows phones always show 4G when on a call then go back to LTE once off the call.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Need a little help/advice, please! my 950XL finally is showing its age...last week my start-up screen was lacking MOST of my apps, swipe left and my app list shows the same dwindled list! The MAIN PROBLEM is I can't access my Settings...the only way I can see contacts (or anything else) is to go through the Microsoft Store. Can anyone suggest a fix that will allow me to get back my settings app?

I have been shopping for phones and don't much like what I see...looking at just getting a Pixel 4a (suggestions welcome) and do all my heavy-hitting on the computer, but I really need to have access to my info on the 950xl again...does ANYONE out there have a fix/workaround?????

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss