Is this the surface phone?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Samsung seems to be gunning for enterprises and MS might even now support it.

It's more along the line of HP's Workspace. A Virtual PC in the cloud.

To be honest it almost Reverse Continuum, use the S8 and Dex to access a Virtual PC and display on larger screen. The grunt work done in the cloud and not via the chip in the phone.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I would have agreed if MS continued to develop continuum. and now that HP gave up W10M plans, I dont see bright future for continuum.

3 words, to restore your hope......

Windows on Arm

Yes in the mobile space Windows Phone will pass away. However , you have to keep in mind "one core".

Much like the call of UWP apps, One app many devices, apply the same thinking to the next so called big thing

So "One App,many devices + One Device many uses".

Just some things from the wider picture to ponder.....

Windows RT ( Proof Arm can run a full windows code) + Phones with Continuum, now add C Shell to that mix.
Take what has been learned from the Surface Line, Surface Book it's Keyboard with a GPU ( handover of some grunt work to an attachment ) + Surface Dock and Phone Dock.

So if you can hand off GPU work to an attachment why not have a dock that can boost CPU/GPU...

There is a new device in the future, but it is not going to be just a phone,

maddogmoffit

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

As anything powered by iOS or Android is just an phone. I have had phone devices with more or less computing power since my Sony Ericsson P910 powered by Symbian and I had laptops with more or less phone abilities sine my Dells from early this millennia with a GSM chip and a SIM card. It is not news that those two categorizes are merging but the form factor and the execution of the UI is all.

Windows on ARM will not add anything, Microsoft already had Windows RT and Windows Phone that was on windows derivates on ARM.
UWP will not add anything, it is a package for your applications. It is the right application with an working UI that is what a consumer needs.
CShell will not add anything to this as it does not matter that you can run a big business app in phone mode with the help of CShell if it not from the start is designed to be usable in that small space you get on a tablet or phone.

It is not that much a question of technology, it is more of a question of ecosystem and usability for the customers and i do not believe Microsoft will easily prove that for the customers after the fiasco's with WindowsPhone and W10M.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Windows RT was interesting, but not fully worked on. In truth it is a step off point that leads to Windows 10 on Arm.

All the examples I have given do add something, Windows 10 on Arm adds x86 emulation.

C Shell adds the ability to morph the UI based on the configuration a given device is set to, as right now Continuum is only able to present 2 modes Mobile or Desktop.

This has in part been tried before by other companies but software side was not able to truly push a phone into a Laptop, The PadPhone comes to mind.

At no point will I say Microsoft will get it right or jump in market share, after all this is Microsoft and they do have a long history of having a good idea and dropping the ball well before crossing the goal line!!!!!

Even in the face of a Microsoft name badge being on the next new device, I can see something interesting coming.

Question is can they rebuild the burned bridges of the companies and consumers they have managed to **** off over the last few years.......

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Windows on ARM will not add anything, Microsoft already had Windows RT and Windows Phone that was on windows derivates on ARM.
UWP will not add anything, it is a package for your applications. It is the right application with an working UI that is what a consumer needs.
CShell will not add anything to this as it does not matter that you can run a big business app in phone mode with the help of CShell if it not from the start is designed to be usable in that small space you get on a tablet or phone.

I have actually on several occasions this year wanted to have access to my working software on a mobile device fitting in my pocket. There have been several "lighter" tasks it could have performed which would have saved me a great deal of time.

So to say it won't add anything is just nonsense. The question is how much and for how many people.

It is not that much a question of technology, it is more of a question of ecosystem and usability for the customers and i do not believe Microsoft will easily prove that for the customers after the fiasco's with WindowsPhone and W10M.

Those who are still no Windows 10 Mobile phones will likely be willing to consider a switch if the device is a "Surface" branded non-phone device. Additionally this is a way in for people coming from outside of the phone niche. In other words, there are likely people who would never consider a Windows 10 phone, but who would possibly consider a very small always connected PC. That'd be the 'backdoor' in a sense.

But your concern isn't misplaced I think. It'll end up being a matter of which company is creating the product and what reputation that company or brand has. Surface might be enough for people to take the leap, and possibly other brands. Obviously if it says "Lumia" on the device many will probably run the other way at this point.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
3 words, to restore your hope......

Windows on Arm

Yes in the mobile space Windows Phone will pass away. However , you have to keep in mind "one core".

Much like the call of UWP apps, One app many devices, apply the same thinking to the next so called big thing

So "One App,many devices + One Device many uses".

Just some things from the wider picture to ponder.....

Windows RT ( Proof Arm can run a full windows code) + Phones with Continuum, now add C Shell to that mix.
Take what has been learned from the Surface Line, Surface Book it's Keyboard with a GPU ( handover of some grunt work to an attachment ) + Surface Dock and Phone Dock.

So if you can hand off GPU work to an attachment why not have a dock that can boost CPU/GPU...

If WoA was closer to reality, HP wouldnt have killed off its elite X3 line

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
A VM in a DeX environment. Reminds me of project centennial for Spotify (legacy app in a uwp container). Reasonable, but not a good experience. Slow performance.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
If WoA was closer to reality, HP wouldnt have killed off its elite X3 line

As far as is known and reported here Windows 10 on Arm was never going to see the X3 line. It;s more the Lack of Support. Commitment to Windows 10 for Phone that caused HP to step away.

No Phones were going to see Windows 10 on Arm, however I still think there will be an outside shot XDA may take a crack at it.

I do think the Lid will come off Windows 10 on Arm Oct 31 in London, but only early Tablets and Laptops will showcase the Event.

A Phone ability device will pop after.... May be the long awaited Surface Phone device or a Partner device with the ability to become a phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As far as is known and reported here Windows 10 on Arm was never going to see the X3 line. It;s more the Lack of Support. Commitment to Windows 10 for Phone that caused HP to step away.

No Phones were going to see Windows 10 on Arm, however I still think there will be an outside shot XDA may take a crack at it.

I do think the Lid will come off Windows 10 on Arm Oct 31 in London, but only early Tablets and Laptops will showcase the Event.

A Phone ability device will pop after.... May be the long awaited Surface Phone device or a Partner device with the ability to become a phone.
If Cotulla could run Windows 8 on the HD2, I wouldn't be surprised to see WoA on the x3 or the Idol 4S.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss