Is Nadella the main reason why Windows Phone is no longer the focus?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Nadella into ruined it. Even under Ballmer they pulled, I believe as much as 6%. Arguing that it was spiraling is like saying Apple should have closed shop when they were nearly under. YOU DONT GIVE UP. Keep pressing, keep fighting. It only takes some teenage rock star to say yea I use it. Point being anything can happen. And perseverance with your supporters is wisdom.
It's easy to say that when it's not your money.

Auggybendoggy

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
True fatclue, no disagreement there. But the stakes are high. And as I said, tell that to Apple. Apple while near bankruptcy never stopped beliving in their own system. Eventually, the imac, to ipod, to iPhone made them great again -uh oh did I just quote DT - and I admire them for that. I never saw Apple shifting focus to PC by buying programs like logic and then porting it to PC and abandoning mac. They stuck it out, think and thin. MS needs to reassure their supporters they're sticking it out in mobile. Even if it's 1 new premier phone every 3 years. Give them something to continue. And I really do believe it only takes something as silly as a rock star or movie star or something to catch on where all the rave is owning some other system. You just need to ensure it works and MS has not done that. MS has made sure it works on iPhone and android. I don't mind selling on their systems but not at the expense of your own family.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
True fatclue, no disagreement there. But the stakes are high. And as I said, tell that to Apple. Apple while near bankruptcy never stopped beliving in their own system. Eventually, the imac, to ipod, to iPhone made them great again -uh oh did I just quote DT - and I admire them for that. I never saw Apple shifting focus to PC by buying programs like logic and then porting it to PC and abandoning mac. They stuck it out, think and thin. MS needs to reassure their supporters they're sticking it out in mobile. Even if it's 1 new premier phone every 3 years. Give them something to continue. And I really do believe it only takes something as silly as a rock star or movie star or something to catch on where all the rave is owning some other system. You just need to ensure it works and MS has not done that. MS has made sure it works on iPhone and android. I don't mind selling on their systems but not at the expense of your own family.
When Apple was having their issues it was Bill Gates who bailed out Apple. Even though it's not the same situation I understand your position. But here's the thing, Microsoft won't go belly up with the demise of mobile the way Apple was in danger of. Remember back in 2009 when Obama bailed out Detroit? That wasn't because GM was shedding Pontiac, that was because GM was failing globally.

Microsoft is not a hardware company. I've said this a million times on these boards and it's why they offer their products to everybody and their cats. BlackBerry has been forced to take the same path and they've returned to profitability.

Right now as it stands, you have 2 choices unless you're adventurous enough to give Sailfish a whirl. Follow @RumoredNow and his journey into Jolla-land if you're interested.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
True fatclue, no disagreement there. But the stakes are high. And as I said, tell that to Apple. Apple while near bankruptcy never stopped beliving in their own system. Eventually, the imac, to ipod, to iPhone made them great again -uh oh did I just quote DT - and I admire them for that. I never saw Apple shifting focus to PC by buying programs like logic and then porting it to PC and abandoning mac. They stuck it out, think and thin. MS needs to reassure their supporters they're sticking it out in mobile.

I think your passion for Windows phones is overriding realism here. There are many products that don't work out. The reasons they don't are varied, but the end result is the same. Mac eventually worked out. Windows phones didn't.

Even if it's 1 new premier phone every 3 years. Give them something to continue. And I really do believe it only takes something as silly as a rock star or movie star or something to catch on where all the rave is owning some other system. You just need to ensure it works and MS has not done that. MS has made sure it works on iPhone and android. I don't mind selling on their systems but not at the expense of your own family.

A celebrity endorsement isn't going to help Microsoft's mobile efforts, at least not enough to matter. To put it simply, they don't have a competitive product. Sure, you and a few other users liked it, but overall the market didn't. The market told Microsoft that they didn't have the capability of making a mobile phone able to run with the big dogs.

It's that simple.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I think your passion for Windows phones is overriding realism here. There are many products that don't work out. The reasons they don't are varied, but the end result is the same. Mac eventually worked out. Windows phones didn't.

A celebrity endorsement isn't going to help Microsoft's mobile efforts, at least not enough to matter. To put it simply, they don't have a competitive product. Sure, you and a few other users liked it, but overall the market didn't. The market told Microsoft that they didn't have the capability of making a mobile phone able to run with the big dogs.

It's that simple.

But don't you think that Microsoft lacks conviction and belief in its products and so keeps on cancelling then inter after the other. I mean very few people buy Nexus but still Google keeps on making them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But don't you think that Microsoft lacks conviction and belief in its products and so keeps on cancelling then inter after the other.

No, they don't lacks conviction and belief in their products. The conviction and belief has to exist for them to start the product lines in the first place.

They tried hard for years and didn't make any significant headway. After that, what could they do? Microsoft probably saw that Windows mobile was never going to be a profitable venture. Because Microsoft exists to make a profit, why keep mobile?

I mean very few people buy Nexus but still Google keeps on making them.

Google has no intention of becoming a major OEM. That's not the point of Nexus/Pixel. This division exists as a developer phone, to showcase Android. That's why Microsoft has the Surface line, although I think they're trying a little harder to sell products.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
But don't you think that Microsoft lacks conviction and belief in its products and so keeps on cancelling then inter after the other. I mean very few people buy Nexus but still Google keeps on making them.

You keep sounding as if Microsoft is a hardware company and it’s not. What more conviction and belief do you need than the push to get their software on every type of device? They dipped their toe in the mobile space again and again to make a go of it and it simply did not work out the way they hoped. What more can you ask for? There aren’t any participation trophies in the business world. They tried, they failed - game over.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
They are making surface, that's hardware. Or will he shut down the surface too and focus on software's only?

The point was not that they won't make any hardware. They will always make some (if it's profitable). But MS is, and always has been, primarily a software company. That has always been their main focus and likely will continue to be.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
You keep sounding as if Microsoft is a hardware company and it’s not. What more conviction and belief do you need than the push to get their software on every type of device? They dipped their toe in the mobile space again and again to make a go of it and it simply did not work out the way they hoped. What more can you ask for? There aren’t any participation trophies in the business world. They tried, they failed - game over.

But I think that Microsoft initially jumps into a competition but when the going gets tough, Microsoft quits. Look at devices like Band and Surface Book. These were not bad decisions. It was only bad implementation and that is not the product's fault. That is Microsoft's fault. One of the reason why Newton failed under Apple was its poor implementation. Steve Jobs turned it around with iPad. This is where visionaries are important and Microsoft has none at the moment. As such many of the good ideas are going down the drain.

anon(8171782)

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The man will shut down everything as time goes, sooner or later, Surface will be gone too. He his scared and only want to what is for sure people will use and that's just windows and office. Two is already gone, Windows phone and groove. More to follow. He doesn't want to so what their partners can so, so build devices like surface is in the way of hp and the rest. Soon this is fine as well.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They are making surface, that's hardware. Or will he shut down the surface too and focus on software's only?

The man will shut down everything as time goes, sooner or later, Surface will be gone too.

I don't think Surface has to sustain itself like Windows mobile had to in order to remain relevant. As I mentioned in an earlier post, AFAIK Surface exists to showcase hardware. It does not have to be profitable on its own. It pays for itself by showing the world, and OEMs, what can be done hardware wise.

And that brings up another difference in the concept between the two product lines. Surface devices use an OS that is on a billion other devices. The OS is not the point, and Surface is not out to prove anything there.

On mobile, however, exactly the opposite is true. There's nothing innovative about WM devices' hardware. It's been done already. It was there to push an OS.

TL;DR Surface is not a target simply because it is hardware. It exists for a reason. Mobile's floundering sales made it a target because its reason to exist faded.

KayJay11

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Nadella hammered the nail in the coffin, but because they couldn't get the Business Model straight for W10M or any mobile strategy. They kept an antiquated licensing model, while not seeking to focus on high end phones with a pre-established app partnership / development prior to release. This was Apple's model. Alternatively, they did not make RT / W10M open for OEM modification and deployment to then use as a way for the Store to be the access portal to their, and other's, software services (with some key app partnerships needed -I.e., Facebook, Snapchat, etc.). This was Google's model. Instead, they kept the OS proprietary like Apple and sought to license and did not set up enough apps in the ecosystem prior to release. This meant that OEM's only could differentiate on phone parts and not other software - device features (like Android, c.f., Samsung) and then did not have the apps people wanted lined up for use upon launch. So, this relegates W10M to low cost phones in price sensitive markets with little market penetration in the high margin markets and, hence, no overall popularity in the more profitable markets.

If Nadella made this key change with W10M, coupled with a push to Enterprise to supplement Azure, it may have had a potential to get up to 10%of the market, maybe a little more, which would great Mindshare in the public and further lead development to their UWP strategy and provide a means to protect their Enterprise vs Apple and Android threat and, more importantly, AWS threats.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Steve Ballmer is. He dismissed and made fun of the idea that Apple is making iPhone back in 2007.
Now in 2012, he played catch up and failed miserably.
Satya is doing the best he can with Microsoft's strengths, and discontinuing off any weaknesses to the company.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Some factors contributed more than others, but the reasons why Windows phone failed is long and they all matter. There are those that still believe that Windows phone had a chance, but that seems less likely when looking at the competition. During WP best year (when they sold about 8-9 million in a quarter), Android was activating 1 million devices a day! Yes, WP is dead but it's never really been alive. It only seemed alive to a very small niche of people that cared and followed WP news on a weekly basis. And Microsoft was losing millions to satisfy that small niche. Worse still, the platform wasn't gaining significant traction in either apps or sales. So while I would have loved to stick with WP, I completely understand why MS decided to call it quits.

Last edited:

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
But I think that Microsoft initially jumps into a competition but when the going gets tough, Microsoft quits. Look at devices like Band and Surface Book. These were not bad decisions. It was only bad implementation and that is not the product's fault. That is Microsoft's fault. One of the reason why Newton failed under Apple was its poor implementation. Steve Jobs turned it around with iPad. This is where visionaries are important and Microsoft has none at the moment. As such many of the good ideas are going down the drain.

Apple and MS don't compare well, because Apple can get by with things that MS and other companies would get destroyed over. Remember antennagate? "You're holding it wrong" was Steve Jobs' response. Imagine if Balmer or Nadella had said something similar. The Apple loving media would have ridiculed them for months. Apple gets a free pass that no other company would ever get, for whatever reasons.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
here's what I think killed WM, yes I think whole heartily that sadella killed WM, because he was against it from the beginning and didn't want to put any effort into making it work, and yes Wm started to drop in in numbers before he got there because windows kept changing their OS from 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 to where we are today and ANY company that keeps changing with no stability is going to make any dev stop making apps/games for said company! I think that's the exact moment when WM started to drop. Reason android is so popular is they never changed their OS they've always upgraded and moved forward and worked on improving the OS just like Apple same thing! I don't know what MS was thinking by completely moving from 7 to 8 to 10 and expect devs to be OK with this, or even end users like us, which made our devices obsolete from one OS to the next with no way of updating our new devices to benefit from those changes... also the fact they never pushed WM like android and IOS and I am convinced that if MFST tried to do any type of creative adverts for WM then today would be a whole different outcome for WM!! MS has a history of bad marketing team with those gay adverts they had when surface tablets first came out and the only reason the surface line didn't fall into obscurity is because it was a great product and advanced in what it was a 2 in 1 device! then they came out with the L950XL which lets be honest here it was an underwhelming product but had some good tech ideas inside like hello sign in and glance and couple of other things.... had they had any imagination and future insight and all around excitement for their own products and came out with the surface phone then today WM would be in a whole different outcome! but nadella didn't wanna have anything to so with WM or possibly the shareholders... but why bend or listen to them? they know NOTHING about tech and how to make it profitable! I'm so mad at MS for their lack of vision and stupidity of how they handle the WM division! I luv my HP X3 and WM and will never go to IOS or android for as long as I'm able to do so!! LONG LIVE WINDOWS MOBILE!!! lol

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
I think that Nadella is right to stop focusing on Windows Phone and focus on winning the next thing. There was a time when MS controlled the PC to the point where there was a discussion about breaking it up. Bill Gates made the statement at the time that Microsoft was "three years away from becoming irrelevant" the same applies now to Apple and Android.

Nadella is trying to catch the next curve because this race has already been run, and MS isn't on the winners podium.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
I think that Nadella is right to stop focusing on Windows Phone and focus on winning the next thing. There was a time when MS controlled the PC to the point where there was a discussion about breaking it up. Bill Gates made the statement at the time that Microsoft was "three years away from becoming irrelevant" the same applies now to Apple and Android.

Nadella is trying to catch the next curve because this race has already been run, and MS isn't on the winners podium.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb