Lets talk time, in like "How long?"

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I think most haven't questioned the rumors about Windows Core coming in the near future. Microsoft's dream about having one OS running all hardware. Is HP going to continue to offer mobile devices to business with Windows Core (One Core)? Are other OEMs getting ready with something? Is Microsoft going to release new hardware (Surface Phone)? If this is true, I could see Microsoft having a special event to announce this exciting new direction and OS. So far, all I've heard are rumors from Microsoft insiders that are based on leaks from their sources. I believe the rumors in that some type of mobile device is coming. Something. The question for me (and probably others) is when? When will this new OS being released and once its released, how long before we see new hardware? Personally, once I leave for another OS I'm the type to not return. I hate change, I want to stay with Windows (even though I get the impression MS don't want me). However, once I'm forced out, I'm staying gone. Therefore, I need to make an educated guess on when all this is coming.

I've heard 2018 or maybe 2019. But when in 2018? Hell, that's a whole year. Anyone having any good guesses?

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
re: Lets talk time, in like "How long?"

Doesn't seem like it'll be a big drop. It'll most likely be in small (tiny) pieces at a time.

Windows Update changes (remember how they made a big deal of being able to update files without restart, and faster downloads/installation?) are one part of moving away from a static desktop OS. Mobile devices need to run small lightweight software, no downtime. If the rumours about WCOS are true, entire OS components would be downloaded like this, only as needed.

There's also the phone keyboard - useless on desktop, and a little awkward on tablets (they could have added swipe to the existing touch keyboard, but didn't). The only reason they'd keep it is for phones.

The desktop app bridge is another, making it easy to package apps for quick install/update/uninstall. That's important for a mobile OS.

And then there's Windows 10 S, a lightweight version of Windows 10. A future mobile device would also run a lightweight version of Windows 10. I see S as a proof-of-concept, and WCOS being the refined version of it.

Overall, it seems that MS's goal is to slim down Windows 10 into a super lightweight, fast, zero-maintenance OS, and then it'd be able to run on phones, just as well as it runs on desktops right now.

Given that there is stuff in Windows 10 that dates back to Windows XP (and older), they've still got a lot of stuff to modernize. I imagine that this idea as a whole will take many years to complete.
Windows 10 S, which could be considered a precursor to WCOS, is already out. I don't think there are any other systems except the Surface Laptop, but they said they're coming soon. I imagine WCOS will follow suit.

My guess is that the componentized OS concept (as mentioned in the article on WCOS) will come after Redstone (RS3 is probably going to be next Spring), so I'd guess Fall 2018 is when it will start to show up.
Also fitting that major Windows versions have been every three years, and sometime around the fall (either before back-to-school or before holidays). Windows 8 was October 2012, Windows 10 was July 2015, so the next major update (even though they'll still call it Windows 10, or maybe drop it to just Windows) would be Fall 2018, if they follow trends.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

The next question, is whether MS will get it together to have hardware ready to make use of this stuff. I'll say it, us WM10 users are all thinking the same thing. When One Core comes out, will a replacement for our devices join the fanfare? And if so, will we have enough information early enough to assess whether MS is likely to put some effort in and make a go of it this time? I know, foolish talk, but you know what us WM users are like. We love getting a good beating from MS.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

The next question, is whether MS will get it together to have hardware ready to make use of this stuff. I'll say it, us WM10 users are all thinking the same thing. When One Core comes out, will a replacement for our devices join the fanfare? And if so, will we have enough information early enough to assess whether MS is likely to put some effort in and make a go of it this time? I know, foolish talk, but you know what us WM users are like. We love getting a good beating from MS.

I don't see MS releasing the OS without it being on something. I say the announcement comes with some type of small, maybe foldable, tablet. Idk. The question is when? If i was to guess I'd say fall of 2018 as well. Grrrr. That's a year away

Twitter: @PhotographyET

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't see MS releasing the OS without it being on something. I say the announcement comes with some type of small, maybe foldable, tablet. Idk. The question is when? If i was to guess I'd say fall of 2018 as well. Grrrr. That's a year away

Twitter: @PhotographyET

I would say 2019.

Saeglopur89

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
OK but they would show device with holograms and lasers and what then? Belfiore statement was not about shutting down W10 Mobile because it was already a thing when they announced "One Windows" etc. They admitted that they can't provide Store with basic big brand apps and it's over.

TBH now I'm even worried about Windows as a whole. I really hoped for one platform for all devices., that we can relay on current strategy but we were tricked so many times :/

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Windows Mixed Reality (then called Windows Holographic) was unveiled January 2015.
It is now October 2017, and the headsets and software are officially launching now.
So a little over two years from announcement to release. Although, this technology is far more unique, complicated, and experimental than PCs/phones/tablets, so that probably contributes to the long wait as well.

It is extremely likely that they realized their previous strategy with mobile (keep it around for fans and enterprise) didn't make sense when they could just fully merge it into main Windows development, and start with a stronger, more flexible base OS for future development.

assuming this is actually the exact way they do it, it would fix pretty much every problem with W10M. You have the stable OS that is Windows 10, you know it has to be good enough because it'll be running on every consumer PC. It'll have to be fast and reliable. Apps might be an issue, but you could potentially sideload any app from DOS or Linux or any version of Windows. Depending on how good the performance is, possibly Android apps. That's a big deal and puts this potential OS way, way ahead of any mobile OS in terms of apps. All the mobile apps AND all the desktop apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro