What phones are you thinking of switching to?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Sold my 3 1520's and my 1320. Sold my single sim 950 XL and have the dual sim one still, that one is next. Sold my 1320. Have a 640 XL I still need to sell. All this since moving back to Verizon. As much as I like some of the liberal ways of other GSM carriers, you can't beat VZ's service and coverage. Currently using a Lumia Icon and ordered the Elite X3 for VZ which I hope arrives in the coming weeks :). Won't migrate off Windows 10 Mobile anytime soon. If I had to though I would just buy the headphone jack packing iPhone 6s Plus.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I do have to express extraordinary discontent with how Microsoft is treating us. It's becoming increasingly harder to ignore the people saying things to the effect of: "If you love Microsoft in the mobile world, the only way to get their support is leaving Windows Phone." So I'm testing the waters with a Galaxy Note 3, then maybe moving up to a Note 8 if Android doesn't **** me off (as it usually does).

I'll also be buying an iPhone X... mostly because I'm happy to see Apple FINALLY stop playing it safe and take a damn risk. I don't expect that this will become my daily driver though. I get bored with iPhones very quickly.

...being that a Galaxy S8, iPhone 7 Plus (and Google Pixel, LG V10, Xiaomi Mi Mix, and many more) have failed to take me away from my Lumia 950, there's a good chance I may end up right where the guy is who's sticking with Windows Phone.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I switched to Sony Xperia XZ. I just switched 2 days ago after the Groove debacle, which totally pissed me off. So bought the XZ and then heard the news from Belfiore and was glad that I moved when I did.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I switched to low-cost android phone one year ago. It has finger print sensor but no NFC nor gyro. Native camera app supports light paintings and up to 8 second shutter time in manual mode. Not bad for less than 200€ - back then :cool:

iPhone is not my cup of tea.

I'd like to remind that there is no reason to get a phone that has less than 32GB storage (64GB if it has no card slot).

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Well, it was a great 8 months on W10M. My Idol 4S battery is toast and I can't find a decent used Idol, so I picked up a heavily discounted LG V20 at TMo and now working on making Android just right again. What a mess. I have all the MS apps up and running and my W10M life was sucked into the new Android quit easily. I'm on the fence with Microsoft launcher cuz it doesn't play well with some of the V20 features, especially the various swipe functions. The secondary screen on the V20 seemed gimmicky at first, but I'm now using it to switch between apps frequently. I Passed on the V30 cuz of cost and aspect ratio. Bummer all around.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, it was a great 8 months on W10M. My Idol 4S battery is toast and I can't find a decent used Idol, so I picked up a heavily discounted LG V20 at TMo and now working on making Android just right again. What a mess. I have all the MS apps up and running and my W10M life was sucked into the new Android quit easily. I'm on the fence with Microsoft launcher cuz it doesn't play well with some of the V20 features, especially the various swipe functions. The secondary screen on the V20 seemed gimmicky at first, but I'm now using it to switch between apps frequently. I Passed on the V30 cuz of cost and aspect ratio. Bummer all around.
I'm also using an LG V20. I use Nova Launcher Prime on mine. The second screen works with Nova.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm also using an LG V20. I use Nova Launcher Prime on mine. The second screen works with Nova.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a try. I like the vertical home screens on MS launcher, but it's problematic. I like to hide the bottom navigation buttons / home touch button like I did on W10M to max. screen size, but the swipe up seems to overlap with other swipe functions. Very annoying. The swipe up icon tray is also annoying. I prefer a tray that can swipe left or right.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I moved from the HP X3 to the Pixel XL. It's a nice phone. Getting use to Android isn't so bad since I've had one over the years for the fun of it.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Wanted to pull the trigger on the Xiaomi Mi A1 AndroidOne, but was taken aback that it only support one of the three lte bands for my carrier. My lowly 650 supports all three bands and could easily roam globally without issues.😒

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what I want to do. The iPhone 7 has terrible battery life (about 2000) compared to my Lumia950 which stores 3000. Apple is putting form over function with their short battery life here. I'd have to step up to the iPhone 7 plus to get one that had about 2700 in battery power. Or I could just get the google pixel 2. Their so ugly though. I don't know what I want to do... I'd like to keep my Lumia 950 but music is a core function and Microsoft killed it. The Spotify app on windows 10 mobile is complete garbage. I will never buy another Microsoft product ever again.

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm a total newb at anything other than Windows-based phones, but I'm probably going to make the switch to Android soon.

I tried iPhone, that lasted < 1 week. I will continue to live in the Windows ecosystem to the max extent I can, and iPhone doesn't seem to want to help me there. I'm also not a fan of the direction they're headed-no option to keep a headphone jack, making my Bose headphones worthless; getting rid of the fingerprint reader, etc.

I've been exploring all my Android options, and am leaning strongly toward the LG V30. Second choice would be the S8+. My priorities are minimum Google/Android intrusion into my life, max Windows functionality/integration, equal or better device than my 950, wireless charging, headphone jack, expandable memory. From the reviews I've read, the V30 hits these the closest, but I'm always open to suggestions because I'm truly learning from zero on Android.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I was set on the V30 but switched to V20 because it's now just under $400 at T-Mobile. I also prefer the aspect ratio on the V20 which gives a slightly wider keyboard. The secondary screen on top is actually useful.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I was set on the V30 but switched to V20 because it's now just under $400 at T-Mobile. I also prefer the aspect ratio on the V20 which gives a slightly wider keyboard. The secondary screen on top is actually useful.
I hope you like your new V20. I've had one for two months now and love it, especially for the quad DAC and the camera.

What colour did you get? Mine's silver.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I hope you like your new V20. I've had one for two months now and love it, especially for the quad DAC and the camera.

What colour did you get? Mine's silver.

It's definitely not silver and not black. Not sure what the color is called, maybe charcoal. It looks pretty cool. I'm not an android fan despite having used it for years prior to W10M, but I do like the V20 and it takes awesome pics. Like the wide angle rear camera. The secondary screen is actually useful since I'm using extensively to toggle between open apps. Didn't have to root since I was able to uninstall or disable most of the bloat I didn't need. Less bloat than the Samsungs I've owned in the past. Battery is getting me through most of the day. For $400, it's a smoking deal on TMo.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely not silver and not black. Not sure what the color is called, maybe charcoal. It looks pretty cool. I'm not an android fan despite having used it for years prior to W10M, but I do like the V20 and it takes awesome pics. Like the wide angle rear camera. The secondary screen is actually useful since I'm using extensively to toggle between open apps. Didn't have to root since I was able to uninstall or disable most of the bloat I didn't need. Less bloat than the Samsungs I've owned in the past. Battery is getting me through most of the day. For $400, it's a smoking deal on TMo.
Cool! It's called "titan" in the grey colour, which looks really nice. I love the second screen too. I didn't think I'd use it, but it's something I find very useful.

iainjo

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I made the switch yesterday to a Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. lots to like; very responsive, stunning screen and apps :smile:
I'm still using my 950 XL as a secondary phone now, I already miss the interface but quickly getting to grips with Android. I've come though WM 5/6.5 and then to a couple of iPhones before moving on to a Lumia 650 then 950 XL (Win Phone 8 & 10). I work as a consultant on primarily Microsoft technologies and their Android app support appears better.
I will see how the next few weeks develop...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett