What phones are you thinking of switching to?

anon(8930091)

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Since it's pretty much confirmed that Microsoft is giving up on W10M, I'm wondering now what phone to switch to. Currently I have a 1yo Lumia 650, works ok (not as well in terms of speed and non-crashing of apps as my old Lumia 925 which isn't on W10M) but it's quite slow and recently as of last month the Telegram app doesn't function on the 650 anymore (and Telegram is so important to me!). I caved and bought an iPad for school last year, but I will still need a smartphone to switch to by 2018. What phones are you guys looking at, if you do plan to switch soon and why?

Also it pains me to have to ask this question ): have been with Nokia since my first phone and Windows 7 since it first appeared!!!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The answers are as varied as the people here. There's really no clearcut answer here. Both iPhone and Android have their advantages and disadvantages. Since you already have an iPad, you might benefit by using an iPhone.

Do you like to customize? Do you want to make it resemble a Windows phone as closely as possible? Get an Android.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Well Windows 10 has always been my 3rd phone, and will remain so. I have a Lumia 950 connected to a Continuum dock, that I use for testing and for reference. (I run a team of folks that help to answer questions around these parts) My main phones are usually the latest Android and iOS phones, although I hang on to the iOS models a bit longer. Have an iPhone 7 Plus right now, and a Samsung S8, BUT the S8 will soon be replaced by a Pixel 2 XL. I will probably hang on to the S8 JUST in case I don't like the new Pixel. :)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hardware junkie here which means I've switched out phones quite often.

I was using 2 phones at the same time for a while around 2014 or so being the Lumia 925/Sony Xperia Z1s (T-Mobile branding)
Automation apps on Android drew me over while my WP's were in the pocket because apps on the go weren't important.

As Android started growing on me the more I learned how to use it I started spending more money on better phones.
So I eventually ended up with the Huawei Mate 9 and still have it.
Previously had great Android devices from Sony, LG, Honor and ZTE which all had different approaches to the OS and features.

The original question here will go in all directions because the choices with Android driven hardware are galactic as of today.
Be prepared to spend anywhere from almost nothing to making payments on Android powered phones.

It may take a few tries to find a phone you like.
Personally I have spent hundreds to find out what I like :(

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
When I'm forced onto Android again, I'll probably go with an LG V30 once price drops. I used Samsungs for years prior to W10M, S3, S4 and Note 4. All were loaded with bloat and had many issues. I rooted the S4 and Note 4, which helped. I even went as far as running a custom rom from cyanogen which was great on my S4. I've been really happy with W10M, but the time is near.

mrdeeds_72

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I already have the Priv for the last 2 months. It will be stuck on Nougat Marshmellow forever. For the last true BB made device, the build quality is cheap. The camera is usable, but the front facing is 2 mp so not much there. The physical keyboard is ok, but a bit cramped and I usually use the virtual one. I like the swipe ups. 3 gb ram and the Snapdragon 808 makes the phone lag and heat up under heavy use. Besides the shear variety of apps, not very impressed with it overall.

I'll be waiting for the Keyone to come down in price and then I'll hop on that.

JDHamilton6

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Funny thing... I had decided to switch a week ago, before the WM death tweet hit this last weekend.

I've decided on iPhone. Mostly because Apple is closest to offering the same experience across the ecosystem I always wanted from Windows.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I gave up my beautiful Lumia 950 at the end of January this year.
I am currently using a Google Pixel as my main phone.
I am test driving a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on my spare line.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Not yet. Think my Elite x3 is good for another year. The software is buggy, the hardware is not too bad. Just yesterday a store clerk asked what phone I had, and was wowed when I showed him the live tiles. That is not the first time that has happened. Not many people know about WM. I will wait to see what Andromeda ends up. Even if they make an enterprise mobile device, kinda like what Elite x3 was, I will get it. For my use, I don't need most of the apps on other platform. I learned to do without it for years, and some are just useless for me like Snapchat and Pokeman Go.

pidjones

Feb 24, 2017
Visit site
I'll stay with my 640 for now, but may get a used BLU to test voice recognition apps. In the end, I may go back to my old Rugby 2 or 4 that are still in the drawer. Maybe even the Razr.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss