Since it's pretty much confirmed that Microsoft is giving up on W10M, I'm wondering now what phone to switch to. Currently I have a 1yo Lumia 650, works ok (not as well in terms of speed and non-crashing of apps as my old Lumia 925 which isn't on W10M) but it's quite slow and recently as of last month the Telegram app doesn't function on the 650 anymore (and Telegram is so important to me!). I caved and bought an iPad for school last year, but I will still need a smartphone to switch to by 2018. What phones are you guys looking at, if you do plan to switch soon and why?

Also it pains me to have to ask this question ): have been with Nokia since my first phone and Windows 7 since it first appeared!!!
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-10-2017 08:48 AM
    The answers are as varied as the people here. There's really no clearcut answer here. Both iPhone and Android have their advantages and disadvantages. Since you already have an iPad, you might benefit by using an iPhone.

Do you like to customize? Do you want to make it resemble a Windows phone as closely as possible? Get an Android.
    10-10-2017 09:25 AM
    Well Windows 10 has always been my 3rd phone, and will remain so. I have a Lumia 950 connected to a Continuum dock, that I use for testing and for reference. (I run a team of folks that help to answer questions around these parts) My main phones are usually the latest Android and iOS phones, although I hang on to the iOS models a bit longer. Have an iPhone 7 Plus right now, and a Samsung S8, BUT the S8 will soon be replaced by a Pixel 2 XL. I will probably hang on to the S8 JUST in case I don't like the new Pixel. :)
    10-10-2017 09:35 AM
    Hardware junkie here which means I've switched out phones quite often.

I was using 2 phones at the same time for a while around 2014 or so being the Lumia 925/Sony Xperia Z1s (T-Mobile branding)
    Automation apps on Android drew me over while my WP's were in the pocket because apps on the go weren't important.

As Android started growing on me the more I learned how to use it I started spending more money on better phones.
    So I eventually ended up with the Huawei Mate 9 and still have it.
    Previously had great Android devices from Sony, LG, Honor and ZTE which all had different approaches to the OS and features.

The original question here will go in all directions because the choices with Android driven hardware are galactic as of today.
    Be prepared to spend anywhere from almost nothing to making payments on Android powered phones.

It may take a few tries to find a phone you like.
    Personally I have spent hundreds to find out what I like :(
    10-10-2017 12:28 PM
    I made the switch to Android back in March 2015. I shared my comments back then on our sister site Android Central. https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...=1#post4315025

I'm still using my 2013 Nexus 7 tablet. My current phone is the LG V20 which I purchased 2 months ago.
    10-10-2017 04:01 PM
    I have a pixel 2 xl coming at the end of the month can't wait.
    10-10-2017 04:53 PM
    When I'm forced onto Android again, I'll probably go with an LG V30 once price drops. I used Samsungs for years prior to W10M, S3, S4 and Note 4. All were loaded with bloat and had many issues. I rooted the S4 and Note 4, which helped. I even went as far as running a custom rom from cyanogen which was great on my S4. I've been really happy with W10M, but the time is near.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    10-10-2017 05:06 PM
    I already have the Priv for the last 2 months. It will be stuck on Nougat Marshmellow forever. For the last true BB made device, the build quality is cheap. The camera is usable, but the front facing is 2 mp so not much there. The physical keyboard is ok, but a bit cramped and I usually use the virtual one. I like the swipe ups. 3 gb ram and the Snapdragon 808 makes the phone lag and heat up under heavy use. Besides the shear variety of apps, not very impressed with it overall.

I'll be waiting for the Keyone to come down in price and then I'll hop on that.
    10-10-2017 05:07 PM
    What colour are you getting?
    10-10-2017 05:13 PM
    I'm jealous! I hope you enjoy that phone. Let us know what you think.
    10-10-2017 07:16 PM
    I’ve used many android and windows devices. I switched to iPhone and really like it. It’s my main daily driver
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    10-11-2017 10:59 AM
    I’ve used many android and windows devices. I switched to iPhone and really like it. It’s my main daily driver
    Which iPhone did you get, and what colour is it?
    Guytronic likes this.
    10-11-2017 12:09 PM
    Iphone se 64GB last one cricket had too. They don’t sell them anymore :-(
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-11-2017 01:08 PM
    Funny thing... I had decided to switch a week ago, before the WM death tweet hit this last weekend.

I've decided on iPhone. Mostly because Apple is closest to offering the same experience across the ecosystem I always wanted from Windows.
    10-11-2017 02:14 PM
    I gave up my beautiful Lumia 950 at the end of January this year.
    I am currently using a Google Pixel as my main phone.
    I am test driving a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on my spare line.
    10-11-2017 06:08 PM
    I gave up my beautiful Lumia 950 at the end of January this year.
    I am currently using a Google Pixel as my main phone.
    I am test driving a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on my spare line.
    And when you tire of the Mix, please let me know. 😁
    Guytronic and aximtreo like this.
    10-11-2017 06:34 PM
    And when you tire of the Mix, please let me know.
    That should be pretty soon! I need to figure out if I want the V30 or the Pixel 2.
    Guytronic and aximtreo like this.
    10-11-2017 06:41 PM
    That should be pretty soon! I need to figure out if I want the V30 or the Pixel 2.
    I hear ya. The Pixel 2 XL is mighty tempting, but so is the Mate 10. Let me know what you decide to do, if you don't mind.
    Guytronic likes this.
    10-11-2017 06:45 PM
    Not yet. Think my Elite x3 is good for another year. The software is buggy, the hardware is not too bad. Just yesterday a store clerk asked what phone I had, and was wowed when I showed him the live tiles. That is not the first time that has happened. Not many people know about WM. I will wait to see what Andromeda ends up. Even if they make an enterprise mobile device, kinda like what Elite x3 was, I will get it. For my use, I don't need most of the apps on other platform. I learned to do without it for years, and some are just useless for me like Snapchat and Pokeman Go.
    10-11-2017 06:56 PM
    I'll stay with my 640 for now, but may get a used BLU to test voice recognition apps. In the end, I may go back to my old Rugby 2 or 4 that are still in the drawer. Maybe even the Razr.
    10-11-2017 10:44 PM
    Sold my 3 1520's and my 1320. Sold my single sim 950 XL and have the dual sim one still, that one is next. Sold my 1320. Have a 640 XL I still need to sell. All this since moving back to Verizon. As much as I like some of the liberal ways of other GSM carriers, you can't beat VZ's service and coverage. Currently using a Lumia Icon and ordered the Elite X3 for VZ which I hope arrives in the coming weeks :). Won't migrate off Windows 10 Mobile anytime soon. If I had to though I would just buy the headphone jack packing iPhone 6s Plus.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-11-2017 11:19 PM
    I do have to express extraordinary discontent with how Microsoft is treating us. It's becoming increasingly harder to ignore the people saying things to the effect of: "If you love Microsoft in the mobile world, the only way to get their support is leaving Windows Phone." So I'm testing the waters with a Galaxy Note 3, then maybe moving up to a Note 8 if Android doesn't **** me off (as it usually does).

I'll also be buying an iPhone X... mostly because I'm happy to see Apple FINALLY stop playing it safe and take a damn risk. I don't expect that this will become my daily driver though. I get bored with iPhones very quickly.

...being that a Galaxy S8, iPhone 7 Plus (and Google Pixel, LG V10, Xiaomi Mi Mix, and many more) have failed to take me away from my Lumia 950, there's a good chance I may end up right where the guy is who's sticking with Windows Phone.
    aximtreo and anon(8930091) like this.
    10-12-2017 05:11 AM
    A Nokia 8 or a high end sony xperia.
    10-12-2017 06:53 AM
    I switched to Sony Xperia XZ. I just switched 2 days ago after the Groove debacle, which totally pissed me off. So bought the XZ and then heard the news from Belfiore and was glad that I moved when I did.
    10-12-2017 01:11 PM
    I switched to low-cost android phone one year ago. It has finger print sensor but no NFC nor gyro. Native camera app supports light paintings and up to 8 second shutter time in manual mode. Not bad for less than 200€ - back then

iPhone is not my cup of tea.

I'd like to remind that there is no reason to get a phone that has less than 32GB storage (64GB if it has no card slot).
    10-12-2017 02:49 PM
45 12