The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-28-2017 02:04 AM
66 123
tools
    I fondly remember the house and car I bought from money made from my WP apps while my Android and iOS ones barely made any. I fondly remember the thousands of emails from engaged users asking for features and telling me what I got wrong.

Now, don't get me wrong, my WP apps are still paying my bills and keeping me very well fed...
    fin11 and greedo_greedy like this.
    10-18-2017 01:55 PM
    Still making memories so I can't answer that.
    10-18-2017 02:02 PM
    The day that I got home from the Microsoft store with my 950xl and fired up continuum for the first time. I had been waiting for 12 years (at the time) for this moment when my pocket pc could become my PC.
    squeezy999 and dpz like this.
    10-18-2017 03:24 PM
    I remember watching the review of the HP Elite X3 by Daniel Rubino & then going out right after and buying the phone. I still remember coming home and saying what should I do with this HUGE BOX LMFAO!!! Then I proceeded to open the box & there was one of the nicest looking phones I had ever seen. HP got pretty much everything right on this phone except the camera. They also did a great job supporting the phone with firmware updates after the phone came out. Hopefully there will be some more firmware updates for the phone. They are currently doing ENTERPRISE features with Microsoft so I don't see why not. Furthermore, I spent a lot of time organizing my tiles & making sure the layout was the way I wanted. GOOD TIMES INDEED RIP WINDOWS PHONE
    Last edited by SilverFoxxx1; 10-18-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    fatclue_98 and squeezy999 like this.
    10-18-2017 03:46 PM
    I fondly remember the house and car I bought from money made from my WP apps while my Android and iOS ones barely made any. I fondly remember the thousands of emails from engaged users asking for features and telling me what I got wrong.

Now, don't get me wrong, my WP apps are still paying my bills and keeping me very well fed...
    Is app development that profitable! Very happy for you, investing in the WP as well.
    10-18-2017 03:52 PM
    I always had fun with the WP8.1 with the speech recognition and Here services. I remember one time at a friends party, everyone wanted to go to a movie instead of hanging around. Someone suggested a certain movie and everyone dug out their iPhone's or Android trying desperately to find the closest theater and what times it was showing. I just spoke into my phone "where is the nearest showing of movie "name of movie"". Cortana just spoke out the movie is showing at nearest theater at such and such times.

Everyone in the room just stopped, looked up from their phones at me with their jaws dropped. Since I was last person to start looking for the movie but I was the first person to have the answer, and it was my phone doing the talking. They all asked me "What app was that!?!?!? That's too cool!!!" I had to let them know that is just my WINDOWS phone with the built in assistant, Cortana.

Sadly when they heard "Windows Phone" they just rolled their eyes and started joking about does it blue screen very much?

Another thing I miss was again Here Maps, with the augmented reality of being able to switch to the camera and pan around for finding locations. Especially restaurants when I was out of town. Again had many people stop and ask me what I was doing and then showing off.

But the main thing I miss is the that my WP's were the best at reading, and replying verbally text messages via Bluetooth or wired headphones. I loved connecting to my car stereo and doing long text conversations while driving or riding my motorcycle and never having to look at my phone. I still can't a decent app that duplicates the same ease of use and features for my Moto G4+
    mattmossmusic, dpz and NXTwoThou like this.
    10-18-2017 04:55 PM
    My best Windows 10 memory was when I did a meeting in front of 20 people using continuum from my phone. Every single person was amazed and had never heard of such a thing. They also loved Live Tiles. We were all convinced MS would market the hell out of it and a few people at my office even bought a 950. We were so silly back then...
    squeezy999 and dpz like this.
    10-18-2017 06:02 PM
    Selling my Windows phones (Icon, 1520.3 and 950XL dual sim) and Android tablets on eBay and buying an iPhone 6s Plus and iPads. I wanted to sell my Windows tablets too (dell venue 11 pro and Lenovo 8") but they are not worth anything these days.
    10-18-2017 07:24 PM
    "Is app development that profitable! Very happy for you, investing in the WP as well."

Lol pretty sure that was sarcasm. No one was buying houses and cars writing apps for Windows phones.
    10-18-2017 07:27 PM
    "Is app development that profitable! Very happy for you, investing in the WP as well."

Lol pretty sure that was sarcasm. No one was buying houses and cars writing apps for Windows phones.
    Barbie's townhouse and that pink 'Vette should be possible.
    editguy likes this.
    10-18-2017 07:42 PM
    I remember getting the Lumia 928 with it's great low light pics. I was at a night time ball game and everyone was taking pictures. No one was getting a good shot...my girlfriend fired up her Lumia and schooled everyone with a great pic. All the iphones and Android folks were pissed off! We just set there laughing. City Lens was another great app we used often. Good times!
    10-18-2017 07:47 PM
    I love my 950XL, the camera is wonderful. I do not use my Nikon much now as raw results are great when used with Lightroom. My wife has a 650 which she likes but is not a geek like me. Windows phones are ideal as they are easy to use and are the obvious choice if you use a Windows 10 PC. Microsoft keep on top of the security issues which makes them safer to use than Apple or Android.
    I just wish MS had pushed them harder.
    10-18-2017 08:25 PM
    Agree with an earlier poster..
    City Lens!! It was cool. We had so many great lens... ReFocus, Photosynth etc

How about Here had full off line maps of any country .. available all devices.. had Apple & android users in envy

... !
    10-18-2017 08:56 PM
    Like, W10M is great, but my best memories are with WP8 and my 1020. For one thing, it is a great attention grapper (yes, I'm a but egoistic)... I cannot count how many time people stopped me to ask about "the phone with the crazy camera." It was also the time when Windows Phone worked well with virtually any hardware. Even when it came out, the 1020's silicone is about a year old, yet it still worked well. The camera's viewfinder with all the manual control is the first of its kind. Having that camera made I feel like I want to be a better photographer. For Windows itself, I have always thought that the mobile OS has some of the best ideas. LIve Tiles is still the best way of receiving quick information at a glance. The people-oriented direction with Me Tiles and People Hub should be the way we interact with social media. Continuum is the future of personal computing (look at Samsung and Huawei). Last but not least, Metro UI and its focus on interacting with left and right swipes instead of the STUPID BURGER MENU is just the right way of using your phone. The simplicity of it was just mind-blowing. One more thing, and this is the weirdest one, but the wood-clocking sound of the keyboard just makes typing a lot more satisfying.
    10-18-2017 10:29 PM
    I'm not sure if this post is in the correct thread; my best windows phone memory was when I moved from my iPhone 4 to the then new Samsung ATIV S. Moving from iOS to Windows Phone was amazing. I remember thinking about how large the ATIV S screen was, compared to my old iPhone. It was awesome!! I was able to customize my new phone in so many ways that I couldn't with my old iPhone. I just loved it, and then when I moved up to the more powerful ATIV SE, it was even better.
    Then things started going downhill, when the apps started to 'disappear'...
    10-18-2017 11:25 PM
    My first Lumia was a 610. Nokia made a smart decision, i was thinking then.
    In my country, exchanging wedding gifts between husband and wife is a tradition. My wife presented me a red color Lumia 920 in 2013. The choice of app was not so bad, we got Airasia app, banking app, taxi app etc. from the windows store. Offline Here maps guided us around during our oversea honeymoon trip. It was promising.
    I wonder how downward the progress has become since then.
    10-19-2017 02:14 AM
    I remember when Microsoft gave a damn. Long time ago, I must admit.
    Brady Nielsen likes this.
    10-19-2017 03:28 AM
    I remember when you could walk into a store and see Windows phones available to buy. Also remember staff in those stores trying everything to talk me out of buying one. I'm so glad I didn't listen to them but all of their warnings about Microsoft's attitude to mobile have come true.
    10-19-2017 03:39 AM
    The best memory is on my trip to Ireland in 2014.
    Three of us went there for work. We decided to go see some sights around Kilkenny and in County Waterford. I had a Lumia 810 on TMO which I had downloaded the map of Ireland. My two coworkers were on Sprint and had iPhone 5 devices. We used my phone as a GPS tooling around using signal but no actual data and my colleagues were wondering why they couldn't do it with their iPhones.

Fun times, indeed.
    In general, I haven't had good times with Windows 10 Mobile. As a former fanboy of Windows Phone, and having the ownership of a Lumia 1020, I was excited to test the promised new release of Windows on phones, Windows 10 Mobile, so I waited some builds (in order to have a build with some bugs squashed) and then I decided to get into the Insider program to download one build and I did it. My first impressions of this new version were:
    - Bugginess
    - Horrendous implementations of android hamburger menus
    - Where are pivots?
    - Battery drainage
    - Native apps crashing like never before (C'mon Microsoft, seriously?, native apps?)
    - Edge continuously refreshing with "the most simplest" web pages and then crashing
    - The worst: Windows Store erratic while trying to download apps
    I understood, OK, it is an insider build, the RTM release will be all better. You all know what happened next:
    - Lumia 1020 got unsupported
    - The very same bugs/problems/inconsistencies remained the same
    - Microsoft's broken promises
    - Unfinished OS feelings
    By the end of 2015 after the first OS delay, I got my iPhone 6s, the best decision I made, hands down. Today on October 2017, still supported and still the most consistent app ecosystem.

The best memories are from Windows Phone 8.1 and my Lumia 1020, what a monster of phone!
    10-19-2017 11:41 AM
    I remember when you could walk into a store and see Windows phones available to buy. Also remember staff in those stores trying everything to talk me out of buying one. I'm so glad I didn't listen to them but all of their warnings about Microsoft's attitude to mobile have come true.
    Yeah, but then the sales people spent thirty minutes trying to convince you that you should be buying an iPhone or Android.
    Timbre70 likes this.
    10-19-2017 01:08 PM
    not so much a w10m memory but a windows phone memory. i have been using windows on mobile devices since 2005. a few O2 xdas, the asus mars II aka xda zinc, the orbit, dopods, qteks, an acer neotouch, a toshiba, htc hd2, then microsoft killed off wm6.5 development. things was quiet for almost a year and a half. i stopped visiting xda-developers and i stopped cooking custom roms for pocket pc. then a big news came. microsoft came up with the WP7S, the windows phone 7 series. then the release. malaysia was not a part of the list of the countries these phone were available in. i remembered taking the day off, took a 4 hour bus ride to a state neighboring singapore, just to get my hands on the first commercially available windows phone 7 in the region, through a black market dealer that buys these phones on contract from StarHub and scalps them. i paid almost a thousand USD for the complete unsealed box of the LG Optimus 7 in early 2011. good times. hubs, me tile, live tiles with app integrations. bought almost every new flagship after that, the hd7, 8x, 1020, icon, 930, and finally i landed on a 950. still using it today, missed loads of features that has been stripped off since WP7S. but nonetheless, no android phone nor iphone can give me the usability of the live tiles. i have 6 emails and 4 of them are actively used for work, only a live tile folder with all these inboxes pinned can give me the control over my mails without having me going through all my inboxes one by one, although i know inboxes can be merged but i dont want important mails to be drowned under ****loads of secondary stuff. through out the years of using windows phones, i do own a few android flagships and iphones used as backups. i noticed that the other os makes you go into apps more often. on windows phone, i am good just by glancing at the start screen with all my live tiles. in the world of millions of apps and the advent of social media dominance, my windows phone kept me human. my windows phone kept me human.
    fatclue_98 and Timbre70 like this.
    10-19-2017 02:41 PM
    Phones are just tools we use in our daily lives. I’m not connected to it emotionally. It’s like asking “Reminisce of a good time you had with your hammer”.
    Guytronic and fatclue_98 like this.
    10-19-2017 04:23 PM
    Phones are just tools we use in our daily lives. I’m not connected to it emotionally. It’s like asking “Reminisce of a good time you had with your hammer”.
    You've never owned a British car with Lucas electricals have you? Hammers are therapeutic.
    10-19-2017 09:20 PM
    Probably all the moments of people discovering just how good the platform was. Every time I showed someone my Icon or One M8 they were very impressed.

Of course switching to Win 10 Mobile was a revelation. For years I was the only one that had the same apps on desktop and mobile. Cortana was very well developed indeed. OneDrive integration seamless. Thank goodness Microsoft is working on it with Android and iPhone.
    dpz likes this.
    10-19-2017 10:11 PM
    I loved all my Windowsphones. I started with a Lumia 800. Once I knew Nokia were onboard the Microsoft option made sense to me. The unique features of "hubs", live tiles and the performance sold me. Having all the Microsoft products on a device was just great.

I dropped the 800 so I temporarily picked up a 610. For a while I had a HTC 8X but also owned a Lumia 1020, 930 and 950.

All of them demonstrated that I no longer needed to carry a separate camera. For me the Lumia was the revolution in smartphone imaging and even today the 950 produces better pictures than my Android daily phone.

I feel very sad that the multiple errors and reboots by Microsoft has condemned great hardware and ideas to the category of "fail".

Microsoft managed to miss every mobile trend and concentrate on Continuum, a non-issue for most consumers.
    dpz likes this.
    10-20-2017 06:17 AM
66 123