Can I use an old monitor with Continuum?

Nguyen1

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
I have an old monitor with a VGA plug. I was thinking about buying a USB adaptor so I could plug it into my Continuum dock. The question is, would this work? It should work between any desktop and the monitor, but I'm not sure about Win10Mobile and Continuum.

Nguyen1

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Really? Because I was checking on Amazon for adaptors I was interested in, and most of them mentioned a driver to be installed on the desktop/laptop. Obviously, I can't install a Win10 driver on a Win10Mobile phone, so I was reluctant to buy the adaptor. Any thoughts?

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Really? Because I was checking on Amazon for adaptors I was interested in, and most of them mentioned a driver to be installed on the desktop/laptop. Obviously, I can't install a Win10 driver on a Win10Mobile phone, so I was reluctant to buy the adaptor. Any thoughts?

WP does have some drivers already inside the system, that is how you can even get some printers working over type-C, but lets see if anyone tried this before and can confirm first hand.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
There are quite a few HDMI to VGA adapters on eBay and Amazon. I think Best Buy sells one too if you don't want to wait but they're a bit more expensive. The USB adapters @Nguyen1 mentions only work if you have a USB 3.0 port which is fine if you have a dock from an x3 or Acer Primo. Not all 3-in-1 HDMI adapters support USB 3.0 so be careful when buying.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Tinytech HDMI-VGA adapter at the local IT shop for (equivalent of) US$7.00... no complaints, works well. I have yet to test it on an old CRT monitor I have in the dusty storeroom though...

... !

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Works with my 10yr old Samsung 19in SynMaster and 6yr old LG TV.
One plus point about Continuum is it works with really old peripherals... I think those old Taiwanese-made USB mouse and keyboard in my office goes back to 2004... and it still works with the hub.

... !

Nguyen1

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, guys! I think I'll get an HDMI-VGA adapter (instead of USB-VGA) from Amazon. Sounds like it will work just fine with my Windows Continuum dock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs