Is Windows Phone still usable?

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been on an iPhone for a few months, but it really is a woeful piece of trash. Other than lots of apps it doesn't have much going for it. iOS is quite poor in many ways compared to WP, and it's sad to see a superior product lose to a weaker one.

So is WP still functional? I miss it, but shifting ecosystems is a pain.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've been on an iPhone for a few months, but it really is a woeful piece of trash. Other than lots of apps it doesn't have much going for it. iOS is quite poor in many ways compared to WP, and it's sad to see a superior product lose to a weaker one.

So is WP still functional? I miss it, but shifting ecosystems is a pain.

It's functional, it just depends what you want to do on your phone.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Yah, my Idol 4S is now serving as a GPS and music player in my car. It's still receiving updates. If the battery wasn't toast, I'd still be using it as my daily driver.

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 640 as my daily driver and a 735 as a backup and in my experience WP is still quite functional, however some apps and services have closed down. I can still mostly do now what I have been doing on WP8.1 a couple years ago, but certain bank apps, PayPal and most notably Skype have either been shut down or removed from the app store. The story isn't much better on W10M except that Skype works.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So is WP still functional?

I'll say yes.

I like to fire up the 'ole Lumia 925 every few weeks or so.
Great phone and I really wish it had a match (which it never will now)

I do get tired of the UI with tiles however due to too much onscreen flipping and flopping.
Great package with the 925 at WP 8.2 which is lightweight and smart.
For me WM10 ruined everything especially with Microsoft knowing there was absolutely no intention of continuing.

Most certainly a very frustrating situation.
I still don't understand why some here stand firm with Microsoft after being gut punched with the dumping of WM.
Ah well...people do what they do :)

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Definitely Yes WP is usable. It's the ending of support from Microsoft plus the lack of hardware to use it on that's killing it.

jimmy zamalot

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
I just got the leather flip case for my Elite X3, made me put my s8 away in the box...
Told all the girls on my snap,,, hit me up on my messenger,sorry.
Casting is probably my favorite feature,,, buttt, with Continuum, I'm able to watch tv at nite with Bluetooth headphones...

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: jsooney,
Yes, it functions. It does everything I need it to do. I bought a spare one too.

The live tiles are great. They keep me informed at a glance. I don't know why anyone would prefer the Windows XP style icons that google and apple phones use.

Best Wishes

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: jsooney,
Yes, it functions. It does everything I need it to do. I bought a spare one too.

The live tiles are great. They keep me informed at a glance. I don't know why anyone would prefer the Windows XP style icons that google and apple phones use.

Best Wishes

Well, there's something on Android called launchers, icon packs, and depending on the phone - themes.

GLWeeks

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Yep, my 950XL is my only phone and is currently handling all I need it to. I was having issues before the last update, but in my current state I don't have a reason to look for anything else. I really am just waiting for the next big thing from anyone. Wasn't impressed with Apple's latest round of offerings. Android is just Android. Not sure what the future will be, but content to wait.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone asking me about getting a WP device, i make a strong warning against buying any WP/W10m. Sadly, the OS is not functional for modern practical use like banking apps, streaming and popular games. For me, loosing Amazon and eBay apps was the last straw and i was force to leave W10m... so think two, three times before even contemplating getting any WP device.

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile works really well for me now. I have all the apps I need and my 950 XL runs really smoothly on fall creators update. Even windows central app is fixed. Always used Spotify for streaming music and Groove for playing content stored on my SD card, so the change in groove service doesnt bother me. Cant think of any problems with the os after latest update. Fantastic camera still, my friends with new Iphones are still amazed when they see how the pictures turn out. Had this phone 1,5 years now and will be using this phone at least 2 more years. Updated my old lumia 925 to anniversary update, so I have it as a spare phone. if I would loose my 950 xl I would try to get a new one

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I still have my 950XL so I don't need to buy a phone, and I still have my 640 in a drawer somewhere. I'm not worried about apps, I don't need much other than Asphalt8 and MS Authenticator. I don't do any banking on my phone.

I have the iPhone 7 Plus which I was told had a great camera, but it is not as good as the 950XL. For one thing, there's something wrong with their image processing and many pictures look hokie. I guess the camera guy Apple stole from MS/Nokia hasn't been able to recreate his magic over there in Cupertino.

But the main thing is the UI is really bad, and usability is poor in comparison. As an example, the quick settings menu for turning stuff on and off is a bit of a joke. Want to turn off WiFi or BT? Forget it, you have to go into the main settings app to do it. All the quick settings thing does is disconnect you, and then reconnects you when it feels like it. You can turn them on though. Turning GPS on and off is a real farce, sometimes you have to change two or three things just to do it.

I signed up for the iOS Edge beta and installed it last night, and it's not bad, so that's at least something. I just have to decide if I want to go through switching ecosystems all over again.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I have been super critical of Microsoft recently, and although I will not be spending much money with them in the future, I am also not going to cut my nose off to spite my face, so my 950XL will run till it drops.

I do have a work supplied Samsung, I have put one of these launchers on it, yes it looks like a WP but it's still Android underneath so not a great experience compared to W10M.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As an example, the quick settings menu for turning stuff on and off is a bit of a joke. Want to turn off WiFi or BT? Forget it, you have to go into the main settings app to do it. All the quick settings thing does is disconnect you, and then reconnects you when it feels like it.

It does seem dumb at first glance but I thought about it and I like it actually.

It doesn't really apply to me as I don't really have any other Apple accessories, but with those toggles changed to function the way they do, you can disconnect from devices while still allowing AirDrop and other small functions to work so we don't have to ask "why did my Watch disconnect?" or "why did AirDrop turn off?" etc. It's not too great for us, but for the average user, I imagine it'll help.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
If you can use and use it well, then it is functonal. Some cannot use it anymore, they see Apps are leaving, or they want greener pastures. So for certain users they cannot use it anymore. I personally am fine with it thus far, but who knows if I will find myself wanting just a hint more with a Windows 10 Mobile device then I already do. So I would say if you want to test the waters again, get a cheap one and sim swap for a while. I do that a lot myself. Own iOS and Android just the same as my many Windows 10 Mobile phones. Or if you need to check out the app list first, just put it on wifi...

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Is Windows Phone still usable? If you are willing to accept its limitations/shortcomings then I'd say "yes". If not, then... well you know.

When comparing WP/W10M to Android and IOS, I personally see little that could even begin to give it superiority. Because at the end of the day, its about the whole package - consistency, reliability, function - can't say I've experienced such on a Windows Phone yet to the degree it should be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss