Is Windows Phone still usable?

flohdaniel

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I sold my Lumia 950 and switched to an Galaxy S6 due to the supposed "app gap". I was happy to find a new Lumia 950 for a good price on eBay, just a few weeks later. Android is a mess.
Lumia 950 now again daily driver, still one of the best cameras, whatsapp, telegram, outlook, onedrive, remote control for my nas and kodi. Amazon, Paypal, Ebay and my credit institute have good optimized mobile websites, No need for more.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
My 950 works better now than it did when I got it 22 months ago.

There has been apps disappearing from the store but the ones I use on a daily basis are there and get regular updates.

I will keep using my 950 until it gives up the ghost or the apps I use stop working.

I will pickup an Samsung Galaxy S8 as an upgrade in December and leave it boxed until I have to replace the 950.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
My 950xl continues to run.... I'm not a big app user so the App Gap is not a concern for me.

I started with Windows phone for the camera (I'm a professional photographer) my first Windows phone was the Lumia 1020 and then when that died, after taking a long look around I bought a 950xl after concluding that it was the best camera out there for people who didn't want to just press a button.

I've been looking around since the announcement and I'm having a hard time thinking what a replacement might be. I may end up with an IPhone but that will be for me a compromise and a step down. I don't like the interface as much as I like my live tiles and the camera is okay if you want to accept whatever the phone gives you.

I'm beginning to think I may try to pick up another 950xl and stash it.....

Ira Horowitz

May 14, 2014
Visit site
My wife and I are still using our 950's and are quite happy with them. The one thing that brought us to the phone is the ability to have 2 sims and a micro sd card. We travel between the states and Mexico and being able to just turn on or off a sim is a big plus. We often have to keep both active. So we will using them until something better comes along.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I use my Lumia 650 for odds and ends things. The iPhone has really captured my daily driver potential. No waiting for apps to load. No waiting for updates to attempt to download. No issues with music and Bluetooth. It’s been great being on an iPhone. I do miss the live tiles but when you get down to it the iPhone really is intuitive to use. Swipe what you need not hunt for a back button.

thanoik

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I still use my Nokia 920 latest build windows 10
99d2839bb863095907a0537a8837a59a.jpg
36160f832140512c22ed41687ed3b019.jpg

jmreuter

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
It is still very usable. I've got a 640XL, which replaced a 1520 which developed the dreaded flakey microphone problem (an internal cable connector problem). I'd love to get my 1520 working again, it is my all time favorite phone.

That said, the app situation is getting more dire. I did a USB reinstall on my 640 to clear up fast ring beta dumpster fires, and started clean instead of restoring from backup. Some apps that were still installed and working prior to the reset (and still on my 1520) are no longer available for a clean install after a reset or device replacement. Two I noticed right away were LinkedIn and FlightAware.

ski200345

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
I actually still use my nokia 900 cyan with wifi still to open attachements from emails and stuff like that because it is still better than my note8 samsung phone for that type of stuff . I might upgrade to a new windows phone soon if the come out with a huge screen

MsWinafan

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
By now I'll keep using my Lumia 650 till the end of its lifespan. Maybe at the end of this period I can continue my experience in another new Windows powered mobile device.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Tried my 925 on WP 8.1 a few days ago.
I must say I'm just not into it anymore in any way.
The UI just looks so dated and sad.
To me the tiles have no appeal anymore.
I know WM10 does have a bit more energy yet it also fails for this user.

Wish things were different, but they aren't.
The flame has finally flickered out :(

scadaman29325b

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, very frustrating. Maybe going a little overboard I've likened it to being abandoned by a parent. (Don't mean to be insensitive) I'm still on my 950xl and am pretty annoyed with some of its behavior, but I do like the format mostly. Heck, I'm still a BB fan! I REALLY liked the BB Hub I think it was called, puts every communication in one place, email, text, calls, twitter... You could basically go to one spot and develope a daily report of activities. And as for WP8 on the Nokia 920(?), I absolutely loved the City View app, an amazing creation.

Pablo0208

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
WP had so much going for it, now developers are abandoning it in droves & many of the apps I used daily no longer have updates....live tiles was so good on a phone , auto call blocking was ace too, iOS & android use convoluted methods ... I miss my windows phone but use android as iOS is just a bloaty expensive bauble

Jeep1962

May 28, 2017
Visit site
Still use my 950 as a daily phone, everything works great exept my two banks which have stopped updating their apps. Camera works great, edge works like always, so no complaints equally, happy with my W10M.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre