Is Windows Phone still usable?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Tried my 925 on WP 8.1 a few days ago.
I must say I'm just not into it anymore in any way.
The UI just looks so dated and sad.
To me the tiles have no appeal anymore.
I know WM10 does have a bit more energy yet it also fails for this user.

Wish things were different, but they aren't.
The flame has finally flickered out :(

And that there says it all - DATED. Personally, using it feels so "yesterday" when it limits what we can achieve with it.

Will admit the tiles still appeal to me a wee bit but mostly because everything is just a swipe away (up/down), the live tiles were never a big thing for me though.

If 10 wasn't so inconsistent and buggy I'd probably still be using my 950, 650, or 830. They are not a complete disaster but when one is constantly inundated with little quirks on a daily basis it plays on ones patience... Having experienced "the good life" (other platforms) it becomes pretty apparent WP is NEVER going to be there in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Jeep1962

May 28, 2017
Visit site
And that there says it all - DATED. Personally, using it feels so "yesterday" when it limits what we can achieve with it.

Will admit the tiles still appeal to me a wee bit but mostly because everything is just a swipe away (up/down), the live tiles were never a big thing for me though.

If 10 wasn't so inconsistent and buggy I'd probably still be using my 950, 650, or 830. They are not a complete disaster but when one is constantly inundated with little quirks on a daily basis it plays on ones patience... Having experienced "the good life" (other platforms) it becomes pretty apparent WP is NEVER going to be there in the foreseeable future.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Mine (950) works still great, inconsistent/buggy ???

Yup that's what I said.

As a very small sampling...

Dictating email/text – nothing but gobbledygook appears
Dictating email/text (while phone is listening) - no response
Dictating email/text – text lags behind
Predictive text hit-n-miss
Outlook force closes
Photo(s) in gallery – some thumbnails don’t render properly
W/phone locked or showing lock screen, camera rarely launches
“Double tap to wake” hit-n-miss
Sometimes during a phone call screen will not turn back on after call has ended or takes its time doing so
App D/L errors in store
Store slow or fast to D/L with no rhyme or reason
Charging sometimes normal and at other times, slow

The above don't happen every time or all that often with some, they just come and go at will hence, "inconsistent or buggy".

Just comparing my 7 month "older" LG G4 against the 950 (same CPU, GPU, Ram) the difference is almost night and day with the overall experience on the G4 being far superior.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The LG G4 was almost the best phone I've experienced so far.
Tremendous photo quality from that one in my opinion.
Wish LG would revisit the extremely slim design of the G4.

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
Went android about three months ago bit got irritated and now back on my 950 which is running great with a reset. People talk about apps but some aren't even useful. Like PayPal. Why do I even need it on my phone? I used it on android once and it asked me if I wanted to pay with the app, so I click on proceed and logon to the app and then it takes me back to the store to login to PayPal again. So basically logging into the app just added another step and more button pushing. Apps are completely useless if they don't even help you do what you want to do.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I moved away from my Lumia 950 as it started to have hardware issues and it was out of warrantee. I ended up moving to a HMD Nokia 6 - not quite as good camera but not a bad phone.

My wife still has her Lumia 950 and is running under the latest version of Windows 10 Mobile. As she only does certain functions on her phone - web browsing, email, WhatsApp, Facebook and the messenger that goes with it, and banking it works well for her. As she has had it now for quite a while the battery is starting to run out more quickly.

I think that in the next 3 / 6 months my wife will also move to another platform as every month we tend to have issues with doing the updates that Microsoft sends out.

I would still say that a Windows 10 Mobile phone is still "usage" but the withdrawal of many apps is starting to cause some people to make the move to another platform. With Microsoft also developing many of their apps for other platforms it has become a lot easier to interwork between Android / IOS and Windows 10 on the desktop. In some cases the apps actually work better on the Android / IOS platforms than Windows 10 Mobile.

Hope this helps

Infinidim :cool:

fat8893

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Well that depends on what sort of apps you want to use.

I have all the essential social, news and entertainment apps that I'm solely relying on installed in my current Lumia 830, so that's not a problem for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99