I would like to buy a smartphone with Windows 10 Mobile as the OS. What are my options?

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
My wife wants to replace her Lumia 830 since the speakers have died on it and the battery life has gotten bad. She has looked at androids and iPhones and just doesn't want to move away from her favorite OS. She knows that Windows 10 Mobile isn't being developed anymore but she still would rather have that than a droid/iPhone. So we are looking at what we can get today that works with our AT&T service. I see the Alcatel Idol and the HP Elite X3 as new phone options. But I've also hear complaints about them. Are there places selling new or refurbished Lumia 950/950xl phones? What would you buy if you had to replace your current phone today with a Windows 10 Mobile (PS: I am going to try to find her a demo of the Windows Launcher for Android to see if that would change her mind any but I doubt she will go for it). She LOVES her Live Tiles and the easy interface.

Help me find her a Win10 Mobile Phone please. Any resellers or deals you can think of? Best options? Best places to purchase? anything to be wary of?

PS: we are both longtime Win Mobile users (going back to Zune too)

Last edited:

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
I would try to find a lumia 650, 950 or 950 xl. These are all phones that can be updated to fall creators update and will get bugfixes and security updates for a long time (more then 2 years). They all work really well on wm10.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Find a gently used 950 if she values camera. 950 XL if the size doesn't bother her. While the 650 is a great phone and takes decent pics, it doesn't have the Zeiss, Pureview, OIS goodness that she has been accustomed to on 830.

Get a replacement battery and rock on.

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
so you'd prefer a used 950 (in good shape of course) or a 950XL over the Alcatel that you can get in the Microsoft Store for a great price? Or over the Elite?

omar al-tal

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
hey if you live in US and using T-mobile , you buy ALCATEL idol 4s windows type c with only 109$ on ebay, i did and it was just like new zero scratch , if not I recommend buying something with windows 10 out of the box .

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
So not the Alcatel or the HP Elite X3?
I would shy away from the Alcatel as it doesn't seem to have great information on this forum. As for the X3, it is a beautiful device with a decent screen and wonderful speakers but a camera stuck in 2010. My wife finally gave up on the 640 because it developed too many software related and camera issues.

My 950xl still works great and it's solid as can be. Still pissed at the early reviews saying it wasn't a "premium" phone because it has a carbonite back. I'd go with the 950xl if I were you.

Sent from mTalk on my 950xl

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Do. Not. But. A Lumia 650. They aren't durable. I went through 3 of them in no time. Headphone jacks wear out, screen bends, battery life is awful. Do not buy a Lumia 650. It was the worst phone I ever owned. The Lumia 950 was like night and day, it's so much better than the 650.

James Auman

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
My wife has a Lumia 830 and loves it, but speakers going bad. The 950 would be the closest to it, right? Anyone know a good reputable source for refurbished 950s?

ryhtsang

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
I'd still go with Blu WinHD LTE. Cheap and effective.
Alcatel 4S, Moly X1 - are a close second. Don't know how safe the updates are for these third party phones other than Blu.

fin11

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
If you find a lumia 950 or 950 xl I recommend you also get a new oem battery as RumoredNow suggested. My original lumia 950 xl battery lasted about 13 months (phone started to shut down or randomly reboot as many others reported here). Changed it for a new battery and I have another spare battery when this battery stops working.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
From the many threads on WC, seems finding a good replacement battery for 950/XL is as rare as rear end droppings from a rocking horse.

... !

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Go for a used 950XL. I will be switching from mine (which I think is a great phone) to an Elite X3 sometime soon. Sadly it costs me tons to ship phones from where I am to wherever someone lives who might want it. That's why I have a Lumia 620, 640XL and soon to be 950XL, all in great condition just in a cupboard.

Hopefully you can find the phone you want @James Auman. You can probably find a good deal in the marketplace on this site too.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I am rocking a Lumia 950 since December 2015 and it has been rock solid.

It has gotten faster and more stable as the OS has matured.

I am still using the same battery that came with the phone when new.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. May i ask why you are moving to the Elite X3 from your 950XL?

Mainly for the extra RAM. That, and new Windows phones are slim pickings too. My 950XL is two years old now, it's a good phone, no complaints, but after it was announced that HP would no longer support the X3 (which they then retracted) I decided I wanted to give it a try.

If you find a lumia 950 or 950 xl I recommend you also get a new oem battery as RumoredNow suggested. My original lumia 950 xl battery lasted about 13 months (phone started to shut down or randomly reboot as many others reported here). Changed it for a new battery and I have another spare battery when this battery stops working.

My 950XL randomly reboots. It's around two years old with an OEM battery. I always thought the restarting was due to being on the Fast ring. Are you saying it's the battery? If so then, @James Auman, that's another reason for me to go to the X3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb