What do you miss most about Windows 10 Mobile?

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
So, lots of folks are switching from Windows 10 Mobile to Android or iOS, for obvious reasons. Even the most diehard Windows phone fans have to at least be considering a switch. But this question is for people who have already made the jump to another mobile platform.

What specifically do you miss most about your Windows phone? And do you regret switching? I have a feeling that the Live tile interface is probably going to come up in the responses quite often ...

Charles Barnhart

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Lost my 950XL to a lake so I picked up a Galaxy S8+. My most immediate regret is the back button. Long press for task switching or closing app is way more elegant and useful than Android. also, I miss the camera button and I haven't figured out how to make the Bixby button a Cortana button.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Miss the stability, consistency, functionality and fluidity we experienced w/previous WM OS's - yes simpler.

Miss the time(s) when MSFT appeared committed to the platform.

Don't regret switching one bit (Android), and my move is reinforced every time we fire up one of our three Windows Phones. Using our 30 month old Droid rarely, if ever, leaves us feeling lacking or behind the times, sadly WM does.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Cortana bluetooth hands free messaging in the car.

Heck the entire bluetooth experience in the car tbh.

Music, messaging, navigation all worked flawless without any special configuration or apps.

Something my freaking Android phone is unable to do.
If I turn on bluetooth audio the navigation will stop coming through.
Messaging wont work period.

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

Music, messaging, navigation all worked flawless without any special configuration or apps.

That's why my Windows Phone is still my primary phone. I don't find the grass on the other side to be as much greener as everyone said it was. The one perk to Android is the wide variety of phones to choose from.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
That's why my Windows Phone is still my primary phone. I don't find the grass on the other side to be as much greener as everyone said it was. The one perk to Android is the wide variety of phones to choose from.

Not only do I find it greener, but also lusher with very few weeds. My Windows Mobile lawn began growing dandelions, had grubs and even a few gopher holes.

All kidding aside, there is nothing wrong with continuing to use Windows Mobile. It certainly was my favorite OS and I was excited thinking they were building something that would be around for a long time. I have often called the iPhone an app launcher but, unfortunately, it now provides me more than I got from Windows Mobile even though it’s aesthetically boring.

GhostITMG

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

This! More than anything else I miss this. I switched out my 950XL for a Galaxy S8+ and, other than the expanded app selection, I regret my choice most days. I spend a lot of time in my car and have a text happy girlfriend and my inability to respond using Cortana has really made my life more difficult. I get that it's a trade off, but this is the one thing I wish I still had.

WinOMG

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I miss the design of Windows Mobile. It's beautiful. Every aspect. Like the home screen or the action center. Even the design of apps in general. Back then before hamburger menus came along I loved how you could press the ... thing to see what the buttons do. On Android you don't have that. I miss how you could pull the button on the camera to access the pro options. And I miss Kids Corner from WP8. Windows Mobile was a beautiful OS that just needed more features and apps. I wish that MS could make a version of Android reminiscent of WM. I don't regret switching as I can do more now. I can customize everything to the max. I can change my home screen, lock screen, keyboard, action center, etc. to anything I want. I have all the apps. I have insane hardware features like a heartbeat detector, Iris scanner, fingerprint reader, and LED notification light on one device. And I still have my WM device alongside when I want it so I get the best of both worlds. Android offers more customization, apps, and hardware, but WM provides a more beautiful experience that is convenient and smooth.

Leo Ghekos

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I personally miss the UI/UX. You had a button for everything, not like Android and iOS that you have to guess gestures to get something work!

Jonathan Butt1

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I miss Cortana in my car. I Have an older car with bluetooth but no voice recognition. On my Windows phone (And i have everything from an early Samsung on WP7 to a Lumia 650 Running the Fall Creators Update) I could call Cortana though the phone and have her send a text message and she would read any text messages as they came in and give me the option to reply.

I think that is the option I miss the most.

adi_555

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
So, lots of folks are switching from Windows 10 Mobile to Android or iOS, for obvious reasons. Even the most diehard Windows phone fans have to at least be considering a switch. But this question is for people who have already made the jump to another mobile platform.

What specifically do you miss most about your Windows phone? And do you regret switching? I have a feeling that the Live tile interface is probably going to come up in the responses quite often ...

I started using android recently, what I hate the most is that we need to install app for literally everything to get something done. For eg. no built in video player app, we can't set notification sound per app basis, etc. are some. I wanted stock android and the stock android has lot of missing functionalities that we have in windows mobile.

ernonewman

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I miss the lock screen and the home screen, specifically the live tiles, they are just so much more useful than anything else on any other platform.

N8tiveT3ch

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
One thing I really miss about Windows Mobile is the lack of background video playback. This is extremely annoying; some times I like to leave a video for a brief while I look at something else. Maybe I am noob with Android but I can't find it. Also I notice some weird glitches when it comes to use in general but overall a decent but let to be desired experience.

Ssebu

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I miss 3rd party apps that are actually better than the first party one. I mean, Twitter sucks on Android!
In other news, did anybody else notice Client for Youtube disappeared from the store?

davidjisaacs

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
When I moved to Android I went for the pixel for the purest experience. No doubt a good phone but compared to my 930, it didn't feel like much progress had been made over 3 years and I felt somewhat disappointed and cheated at the price. While I like the phone and it has useful stuff WM doesn't have, in some ways it also felt like a step backwards. Android OS doesn't feel as user friendly and doesn't seem to be distinct enough from iOS to make it feel like a real choice. I know Satia said why is a 3rd echo system needed, and he's right to ask thay, but what he forgot is that while we don't need it, it was what we wanted, it was what we chose, because we preferred it to the other two. The windows team did a cracking job of WP7, and it laid the foundations all versions of W10 we have today. The latest W10M looks and works beautifully, and is such a shame they have up on the vision. My hope is that if Project Andromeda comes about, although it may not be focused at consumers, we are still able to get it from somewhere because I'm sure there will be plenty of windows/gadget fans who will want it and enjoy it even though there would still be an app gap.

David Zavah

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I have had the EXACT opposite experience. Ever since the WP8.1 beta, voice navigation and Cortana have not worked in my car. While audio was playing, navigation would silence the audio source but no voice would come on to deliver the directions. It was terrible! First try using my Nokia 6 and navigation works seamlessly. I am using an Alpine, after market BT stereo. That may have at lease 50% fault in the matter tho.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6