Just when I thought the app situation couldn't get worse.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Okay. There never was a Windows version of some apps. Okay some windows apps go away.

I am shopping for a smart sprinkler timer and thought Orbit's B-Hyve was a good choice. Says can be controlled from an Android phone, and iPhone or a web interface. Great!

But the web interface tells you you must first create an account. You may have guessed.... You can only create the account with an Android or iPhone app. SMH.

Also, you can apparently do everything in the web interface except set up the wifi credentials or change them.

Their help desk actually can't believe anyone would find a problem with their solution of buying or borrowing an Android phone just to set up the web portal account and wifi and any time the wifi changed.

Deborah_Sawyer

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Those two devices dominate the cell phone market. You should not have a hard time finding a device to borrow. Just use a guest account in an Android device, and you're all set. Have you tried using a Chromebook?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Deborah,

That is very kind of you to offer. I hope you are close enough that you don't need to ship your phone to me for that purpose. But even if you do I promise to get it back to you as soon as possible! ;)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
While researching cheap Android tablets, I came across BlueStacks 3 which is an Android emulator for Windows PCs. I'll see if that can run the Orbit Android app. BS3 says it can run almost all apps so I have high hopes.

I have no need to program the Orbit timer remotely, so this will be the perfect solution (if it works). I just want this timer for the smart features that adjusts water times and amounts based on weather info it gets from the internet. Once I set it up and connect it to my WiFi, I may never use the app/web portal ever again.

And even if I decide I want to program the controller while I'm away, hopefully BS3 will run on my Windows 2in1 I take on trips.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like this device is only one step above an Apple Watch which works only with, and requires, an iPhone.

Idiots, if they bothered building it with a web interface they should have put all the functionality there.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like this device is only one step above an Apple Watch which works only with, and requires, an iPhone.

Idiots, if they bothered building it with a web interface they should have put all the functionality there.

That was my thought. I mean the number of their customers who use an iPhone or Android that would choose to use a web interface instead has to be lower than the number of their customers who use Windows phones. I'm making sure none of my mutual funds include their stock. LoL

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Okay. There never was a Windows version of some apps. Okay some windows apps go away.

I am shopping for a smart sprinkler timer and thought Orbit's B-Hyve was a good choice. Says can be controlled from an Android phone, and iPhone or a web interface. Great!

But the web interface tells you you must first create an account. You may have guessed.... You can only create the account with an Android or iPhone app. SMH.

Also, you can apparently do everything in the web interface except set up the wifi credentials or change them.

Their help desk actually can't believe anyone would find a problem with their solution of buying or borrowing an Android phone just to set up the web portal account and wifi and any time the wifi changed.

Looks like the only viable work around is to use android emulator suchas Bluestacks or Nox.

Edit: I see you've already found a solution that works for you :).

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Bought the Linksys Velop WiFi Network Extender system for home and experienced the same exact deal...you can configure their device with a BETA web app...but the device first needed a firmware update. How to configure it to connect to your current network and get that update? Android or iOS app, of course. We have ZERO devices in the house that are non-MS so were totally stuck...until we realized that the mother-in-law had an iPad...totally flabbergasted we'd find ourselves at a DEAD END sticking only with the MS ecosystem. SMH. WTH.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The "final straw" for me happened some months ago, when I was taking an important client to a MLB game. I needed to send him the tickets, which is easily and conveniently accomplished through the MLB app. App is also needed to display the tickets so we could check in. And there is no web solution. I borrowed my wife's iphone and took it, along with my 950XL to the game. Was a total pain, and wife was without her phone for the night. After MS dropped Groove and Disney support, I feel like our app solutions are terrible. And Spotify on WM is hot garbage.

I finally switched over to an LGV V20, and couldn't be happier. No longer have any app issues. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

Geez63

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Still use TubeCast, CamScanner CycleTracksGPS, Facebook Netflix, Spotify gMaps Pro, Goal Centre, Kindle, TuneIn, WhatsApp, Twitter, Money Tracker, All the Microsoft apps. Just loaded Instagram. I don't think I'm missing anything.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the OP, you could always run the app in an emulator on your PC to sign up, but this weird requirement is a sign they are not a very clear thinking company so I advise taking the hint and looking elsewhere.

Regarding the 'app gap' it depends on perspective. From the perspective of phones, which have been discontinued, there is an app gap against MS (though it doesn't bother my usage significantly). From a desktop/laptop perspective, Windows as many more apps than the competition in their store. Adding traditional non-store apps makes the gap even more huge. Then going to the VR level, there are WAY more apps in the store than available on other platforms. Except for games, but since Steam was added that issue has reversed. Now the WinMR OS has more apps AND games access than any other headset I suspect. Even if Google Cardboard does edge it on the numbers, the apps and games available there are just laughable quality compared to WinMR.

Next year, when we're all using Surface not-Phones with access to the full library of PC software, even the pocket form factor will be covered.

It all looks great going forward. The only fly in the ointment is of course Nadella. He could easily make free with the ban-hammer if he starts to think consumers are showing an interest. So, if you want to see this all come together finally, outside of these forums when asked keep saying 'Microsoft? Who're they? I like Android!' and hopefully he'll think only us 5 remaining fans are interested so he'll not come out swinging. Fingers crossed...

prahalad kachhela

Nov 21, 2017
Visit site

MachooPeechoo

Nov 21, 2017
Visit site
Why are we still talking about an app gap on Windows? "Apps" on Windows are dead. There is absolutely no incentive whatsoever to develop an app for Windows. I'm a Microsoft ******, by the way, but the vision that Microsoft had a few years back that would have warranted developers paying attention just isn't there anymore. Microsoft is enterprise focused now and there is no need for consumer apps in the enterprise. Everything else can be handled via the web or a desktop app. Apps are dead on Windows. No one cares anymore.

Sick Freak

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Yep, now that Microsoft has officially flushed Windows 10 Mobile down the proverbial toilet, some apps are disappearing and no longer being supported. I recently had one of my banks do this - they turned off the ability to do any mobile banking via their Windows mobile app. removed it from the Windows Store and didn't even warn their customers. I then checked one of my other financial services companies and they've severely crippled their app. They continue to support Android & Apple.

With Microsoft hitting "ALT+F4" on their Windows 10 Mobile instead of "Refresh," I'm starting to research how to replace all mobile Windows devices with non-Microsoft. Right now, I need to get my wife a tablet or 2-in-1 and am seriously thinking of a Chromebook or a Android tablet instead of a Windows device.

Nayden

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft even cancelled the support of its own Linkedin app, so what to expect more. Personally, as far as I am concerned, there is no equivalent of android connected regarding the high-end smartwatches as well as the lack of mobile banking apps.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The day when Microsoft killed Skype on WP8.1 while knowing that 80% of Windows phone users use WP8.1, that day I understood that this company does not care about people.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923