Is W10M self destructing. Strange problems out of the blue.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone get the feeling that since the official announcement of w10m being killed off that things that worked perfectly seem to have problems now? Like a subtle nudge, wtf are you still doing on windows

Take messaging for example.

On a regular basis my message app looks like this

ss_01.jpg
ss_02.jpg

Each thread is actually a conversation with a different person but for some reason the contact portrait and message preview is duplicated over the top of other contacts/messages.

If I tap on a thread then it will load the proper contact/conversation but it makes it really hard to keep track of who I was talking to when this happens.

Rebooting does not fix the issue. I am on "1709"

Other frustrating things that happen would be sometimes simply trying to open the message app actually takes several seconds to load.

Most frustrating is trying to use Cortana and it taking several seconds before you hear the sound cue to let you know she's listening, or just not working in general so you cant even tap cancel to get back to a text box.

For all it's flaws, I've been content on w10m but now it's like stuff is breaking down.

Idol 4s.

Austin Andelin

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Haven't run into the Messaging bug, but I have noticed Cortana is slower than in previous updates. Frustrated with Microsoft's handling of W10M, but I think they're content to just let it slide into disrepair.
Lumia 950

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I noticed on the Alcatel Idol 4S that when I am scrolling through a comment section my screen will freeze up or when trying to close out my applications running in the background it will often times freeze . Very annoying .

I am also experiencing the Cortana delay also. If I press the icon she will take a few seconds to respond. Sometimes is frustrating.

I am running slow ring with the latest update and this has been going on for a little while now.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
That is very true. At least texting on windows is a far better experience than android....and that's not saying much.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Another good one is I can't edit my Outlook account's mail/calendar settings. Tapping it in Manage Accounts doesn't do anything. I just noticed it yesterday after updating to build 15254.12 but based on the feedback app, it looks like it started with the Fall Creators Update.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Before any of us can offer suggestions it is beneficial to know what type of phone it is, which version of W10 is currently in place and whether it's a production build or Insider. Please remember Insider builds are for testing and culling data regarding the builds and most importantly, non-supported phones have no business being on these newer builds in the first place. Just because you can spoof a phone to get the nice shiny new builds doesn't mean it's going to be a pleasurable experience.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Before any of us can offer suggestions it is beneficial to know what type of phone it is, which version of W10 is currently in place and whether it's a production build or Insider. Please remember Insider builds are for testing and culling data regarding the builds and most importantly, non-supported phones have no business being on these newer builds in the first place. Just because you can spoof a phone to get the nice shiny new builds doesn't mean it's going to be a pleasurable experience.

Agreed but that disclaimer doesn't help us. The OP is using an Idol 4S as is another person who posted. The OP is on the Fall Creators Update and I'm assuming production. Not sure if it's the most recent build. I'm using a 950XL on production, latest build. So the original point is a valid one, and not unexpected given MS's abandonment of W10M.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Agreed but that disclaimer doesn't help us. The OP is using an Idol 4S as is another person who posted. The OP is on the Fall Creators Update and I'm assuming production. Not sure if it's the most recent build. I'm using a 950XL on production, latest build. So the original point is a valid one, and not unexpected given MS's abandonment of W10M.
Abandonment, whether real or imagined, doesn't create problems retroactively. Bugs do not create themselves. Either a corrupted file or perhaps a conflicted app update was introduced into the system OR the user never noticed.

Not focusing on the future doesn't constitute abandonment either. Belfiore stated bug fixes and security updates was the path forward yet the FCU was released afterward.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Abandonment, whether real or imagined, doesn't create problems retroactively. Bugs do not create themselves. Either a corrupted file or perhaps a conflicted app update was introduced into the system OR the user never noticed.

Not focusing on the future doesn't constitute abandonment either. Belfiore stated bug fixes and security updates was the path forward yet the FCU was released afterward.

What big new feature did the Fall Creators Update introduce for mobile? New emojis? Focused inbox? It's the very definition of "bug fixes and security updates" so I'm not understanding your point. If you actually read the issues reported here and did a little research on the feedback app, at least for the one I'm talking about, you'll see it's a real issue that appears to have started with the FCU. Given MS's attitude towards W10M and focus elsewhere, it's easy to see how obvious bugs slip through their QA.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What big new feature did the Fall Creators Update introduce for mobile? New emojis? Focused inbox? It's the very definition of "bug fixes and security updates" so I'm not understanding your point. If you actually read the issues reported here and did a little research on the feedback app, at least for the one I'm talking about, you'll see it's a real issue that appears to have started with the FCU. Given MS's attitude towards W10M and focus elsewhere, it's easy to see how obvious bugs slip through their QA.
The point is we weren't supposed to get any new OS updates per Belfiore. The point is people like to read between the lines instead of black and white. The point is that people make assumptions not based on any facts. You assumed the OP is on a production build even though he/she hasn't stated anything. You assume I haven't read any posts here or on feedback site. I have an Idol 4S on the current FW and it exhibits none of the issues described here or any other site. It has typical device-specific issues that are not within the purview of the OS, but rather Alcatel's total disregard for issuing firmware updates. I trust you know the difference between the two. If not, do "a little research".

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The point is we weren't supposed to get any new OS updates per Belfiore. The point is people like to read between the lines instead of black and white. The point is that people make assumptions not based on any facts. You assumed the OP is on a production build even though he/she hasn't stated anything. You assume I haven't read any posts here or on feedback site. I have an Idol 4S on the current FW and it exhibits none of the issues described here or any other site. It has typical device-specific issues that are not within the purview of the OS, but rather Alcatel's total disregard for issuing firmware updates. I trust you know the difference between the two. If not, do "a little research".

Get over yourself. We all know you're the smartest guy on the boards but at least be consistent before getting your panties in a bunch. First you're assuming, (see, I can do it, too) the problem is b/c we're using unsupported phones on Insider builds when all the identified ones in the thread are formally supported. Then you're defending W10M as if you're the project lead and any criticism is unfounded b/c you don't have any of the problems reported here. Although it's widely reported and accepted W10M has been buggy/sluggish from the start but good for you, keep the blinders on and defend the situation until the bitter end. And while it's not 100% certain the OP is on production, he/she probably is based on how he/she referenced his/her version as 1709 and not as a specific build or as a phone on the Insider program. Which makes me think, is there even an Insider mobile build right now? Assuming, and I know you hate to do that, yes, I'm assuming (there I go again!) it's not a big jump vs. production given the confirmed product road map. Anyway, you're technically correct and I'm sure that's important to you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Get over yourself. We all know you're the smartest guy on the boards but at least be consistent before getting your panties in a bunch. First you're assuming, (see, I can do it, too) the problem is b/c we're using unsupported phones on Insider builds when all the identified ones in the thread are formally supported. Then you're defending W10M as if you're the project lead and any criticism is unfounded b/c you don't have any of the problems reported here. Although it's widely reported and accepted W10M has been buggy/sluggish from the start but good for you, keep the blinders on and defend the situation until the bitter end. And while it's not 100% certain the OP is on production, he/she probably is based on how he/she referenced his/her version as 1709 and not as a specific build or as a phone on the Insider program. Which makes me think, is there even an Insider mobile build right now? Assuming, and I know you hate to do that, yes, I'm assuming (there I go again!) it's not a big jump vs. production given the confirmed product road map. Anyway, you're technically correct and I'm sure that's important to you.
I'm far from being the smartest at anything, I'm a proud C student. What I do have are impeccable reading comprehension skills. My first post called for the most information possible to give the most helpful response possible. All we know about the OP is that it's an Idol 4S. For some reason, known only to you, my post came off as insulting. If asking for cold hard fact to assist someone is insulting or condescending, so be it.

I don't give a fat baby's a$$ if you, the OP or anyone else fixes their problems. But if someone comes asking for help, I'm going to there to lend a hand because it feels good to help. For some, ditching their current phone isn't an option. Over and out.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I've noticed some issues with Pandora, Maps and Edge browser with my Idol 4S 1709 recently. I just use it as a media player and gps in my car and when I travel, so not the end of the world. But, it's getting annoying.

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Another good one is I can't edit my Outlook account's mail/calendar settings. Tapping it in Manage Accounts doesn't do anything. I just noticed it yesterday after updating to build 15254.12 but based on the feedback app, it looks like it started with the Fall Creators Update.

I'm having the same problem on my Idol 4S since the 1709 update (then a factory reset). Has anyone found a resolution for this?

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
We don't use Pandora, maps infrequently but edge everyday I will check wife's phone and report back here. T-mobile Idol 4S here. no problems yet that I know of.

RPG951S

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Problem is the ridiculous flame-bating title of this thread.

Man has problem with his phone, ergo W10M must be self-destructing.
Narcissism at it's best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros