Good alternative to Lumia 950? I /need/ to switch platforms asap!

SolitarySnail

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
Back in 2015, I invested in a lumia 950. The specs were amazing, especially for the time- liquid cooling, 20mp camera, retina scanner, etc. Once I started using it, however, the mirage of perfection quickly faded. The (huge) battery drained quickly, I frequently found the phone heating up after light use, the random crashing/ software bugs that became prevalent, dropped calls, and the app gap were especially problematic. Regardless, I endured, as any loyal MS fan would. My false hope and misguided notions of splendid things to come prolonged my suffering under the W10 mobile platform. I had also dropped nearly $300 on the phone and at least $60 on accessories, which was not smart and encouraged me to stay with the forsaken thing. Needless to say, I was quite invested. Then, after a series of metaphorical slaps to the face, MS decides to kill the phone. They even have the audacity to shut down current MS programs with paid subscriptions (Groove music, anyone?) and list the Razor phone, an Android-based phone, on their official website. I was devastated. After my years of loyalty to this company, holding out for MS phones to finally reach their full potential as I knew they would, they turned around and exclaimed "Oh hey! All of you who have stuck with us since W7 mobile, go f*** yourselves. We got a new line of ANDROID based hardware! Have fun with your garbage hardware that wont be receiving any more necessary updates to fix the bugs that are wreaking havoc with your devices! Oh, and buy more stuff!" Ugh. Just ugh. Seriously considering LEAVING this platform. I despise Android (READ: security nightmare) and don't want to buy into the Apple mindset. I'm looking for suggestions on a good phone to replace my current 950 ( N O more MS phones for me). Any help is greatly appreciated.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Ok.... Well if you don't want android or a apple phone get a flip phone there reasonable priced. If you want a good camera look for a stand alone camera they run for 400 and up. Good luck.

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Android, Apple, a flip phone or nothing at all if you can live without a phone. That's all your choices, pick one and go for it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As others have said, you'll have to choose between iPhone, Android, feature phone, or no phone. I'm not sure why people here seem to equate the seriousness of choosing a new phone with getting married or changing careers or moving to a different country. Simply buy a new phone and use it. Pretty simple really! :smile:

Kizzy Catwoman

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Pixel 2 or 2xl. The negative press around the 2xl is over hyped and the phone really is one of the best around. Plus you get all security patches and OS upgrades for at least 3 years. You get no bloatware and it is fast and easy to use. The best smartphone camera currently available. Fast fingerprint scanner and is truly wonderful to use.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I moved a while back from my Lumia 950 when it started to have issues and was out of warrantee. I ended up moving to a Nokia 6 (in the UK). HMD Nokia seem to send out security updates regularly and also are sending out Android versions when they are stable and work well.

I tend to use most of the Microsoft apps that I used on the Lumia 950 under Android - they work well, sometimes even better than on my Lumia 950.

The camera on the Nokia 6 is not as good as the Lumia 950 camera but it does what I need of it - small issues under low light but with software updates this has got better.

Build quality of the Nokia 6 is excellent - I also got the genuine Nokia case for it.

Price of the Nokia 6 is very reasonable as well in the UK.

If you want a better camera then the Nokia 8 (Nokia 9 in the future) but you will end up paying for it.

Hope this helps

Infinidim :cool:

eric Romerstein

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
After decades as a Microsoft advocate and Windows Phone evangelist, they have lost me. I plan to replace my phone shortly and will likely go the iPhone route. The app gap is the primary factor, but the lack of anything exciting for such an extended period was the final nail. I am also going to reevaluate my use of other ms products and services over all. As an early adopter of all things Microsoft up till now, I had become accustomed to bring on the cutting edge of technology. This, however no longer send to be the case. While this MAY simply be a case of the grass bring greener on the OTHER side, i do not expect to return.
Thanks Microsoft.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Right now I'm staying with my 950xl until it dies, haven't fully decided what I'm doing next. Looking for a camera that meets my current phone. Not terribly excited about either Android or IOS to be honest.

SolitarySnail

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
Right now I'm staying with my 950xl until it dies, haven't fully decided what I'm doing next. Looking for a camera that meets my current phone. Not terribly excited about either Android or IOS to be honest.

Same. I'd honestly love to stay with WP if it was functional/ stable. My 950 seems to be at the end of its life. Its starting to randomly restart and the screen likes to glitch. All of the other "up-and-coming" flagship phones I have encountered can't even hold a candle to the 950's specs. I'm not too fond of android or ios, either. Oh well...

After decades as a Microsoft advocate and Windows Phone evangelist, they have lost me. I plan to replace my phone shortly and will likely go the iPhone route. The app gap is the primary factor, but the lack of anything exciting for such an extended period was the final nail. I am also going to reevaluate my use of other ms products and services over all. As an early adopter of all things Microsoft up till now, I had become accustomed to bring on the cutting edge of technology. This, however no longer send to be the case. While this MAY simply be a case of the grass bring greener on the OTHER side, i do not expect to return.
Thanks Microsoft.

Good for you, Miss Movin' On! My experience with MS has been near-identical to yours. I guess I'm not invested enough in switching platforms yet, though. I haven't found a suitable replacement.
Which iPhone do you think you'll get? They're pretty great phones

I moved a while back from my Lumia 950 when it started to have issues and was out of warrantee. I ended up moving to a Nokia 6 (in the UK). HMD Nokia seem to send out security updates regularly and also are sending out Android versions when they are stable and work well.

I tend to use most of the Microsoft apps that I used on the Lumia 950 under Android - they work well, sometimes even better than on my Lumia 950.

The camera on the Nokia 6 is not as good as the Lumia 950 camera but it does what I need of it - small issues under low light but with software updates this has got better.

Build quality of the Nokia 6 is excellent - I also got the genuine Nokia case for it.

Price of the Nokia 6 is very reasonable as well in the UK.

If you want a better camera then the Nokia 8 (Nokia 9 in the future) but you will end up paying for it.

Hope this helps

Infinidim :cool:

I had been checking out the Nokia 6 before I even decided to switch... needless to say, I was impressed. I haven't found any good retailers that sell the phone (I'm in the US) other than Amazon, but I don't want to deal with the "lockscreen ads" that rumors claim. Where did you get yours?

Pixel 2 or 2xl. The negative press around the 2xl is over hyped and the phone really is one of the best around. Plus you get all security patches and OS upgrades for at least 3 years. You get no bloatware and it is fast and easy to use. The best smartphone camera currently available. Fast fingerprint scanner and is truly wonderful to use.

My cousin got one recently. It seems like a pretty neat little device! I was really impressed with the vivid pictures it took.

Last edited by a moderator:

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Wife had 950 and i had 950XL. Got her Iphone 8+ and Samsung 8+ for myself. I had been into smartphones since 2002. I also am a Tech person by trade and enthusiast of Mobil tech. My wife is just practical and not crazy like me. We both are having a good experience. There will be some bumps leaving the MS echo system but there is a whole new world of enjoyment waiting for you. If you like messing with stuff the Samsung can be fun and challenging if you want a stable mature environment the iphone could be the way to go. I am sure you will enjoy. Best of luck.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Wife had 950 and i had 950XL. Got her Iphone 8+ and Samsung 8+ for myself. I had been into smartphones since 2002. I also am a Tech person by trade and enthusiast of Mobil tech. My wife is just practical and not crazy like me. We both are having a good experience. There will be some bumps leaving the MS echo system but there is a whole new world of enjoyment waiting for you. If you like messing with stuff the Samsung can be fun and challenging if you want a stable mature environment the iphone could be the way to go. I am sure you will enjoy. Best of luck.

Well said.

KVD71

Dec 2, 2017
Visit site
Last week I transferred my wife from Microsoft Lumia 650 towards Huawei P10 Lite. She is still happy about it.
Yesterday I transferred my father in-law from Nokia Lumia 635 towards Huawei P10 Lite. He has still have a lot to learn in the Android world, but no complaints so far.

For myself, I'm still on Nokia Lumia 930. But I'm considering to move to Nokia 8 seen. Certainly since my last 'encounter' with Microsoft support.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I would so jump on a Nokia 8, but what's holding me back is there's no wireless charging. That feature was so cool back when i was dailying my L920. I have a whole bunch of qi chargers that i want to carry over to my next phone. I hope the next high-end Nokia brings that feature back.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would so jump on a Nokia 8, but what's holding me back is there's no wireless charging. That feature was so cool back when i was dailying my L920. I have a whole bunch of qi chargers that i want to carry over to my next phone. I hope the next high-end Nokia brings that feature back.

I think part of the reason wireless charging is such an important feature on Lumias is that battery life isn't good, for the most part. Get a phone with great battery life, and wireless charging becomes much less important.

That said, I love wireless charging, regardless of battery life. It's one of the reasons I use Samsung Galaxy devices.

Embi_Eu

Jan 8, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Microsoft.

Same here! It's like I was writing this post. :)
I'm in transition of moving away from MS products altogether, both in my personal and professional area. Some of my laptops are already running Linux, I'm exploring open source development platforms and finding new opportunities. Really, thank you Microsoft. After 20 years of believing i finally opened my eyes. And yes, Lumia 950 - it was unstable crap from day one. And each of yours idiotic update just made my phone even worse. Im switching to Google, Android... Will not continue to use even Hotmail and Onedrive. Goodbye

Embi_Eu

Jan 8, 2018
Visit site
Back in 2015, I invested in a lumia 950. The specs were amazing, especially for the time- liquid cooling, 20mp camera, retina scanner, etc. Once I started using it, however, the mirage of perfection quickly faded.
I endured, as any loyal MS fan would. My false hope and misguided notions of splendid things to come prolonged my suffering under the W10 mobile platform.
I'm looking for suggestions on a good phone to replace my current 950 ( N O more MS phones for me). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Same here, bro Don't be alone. Just, make the right decision and choose not to use not only MS phones but not to use MS products at all. It's hard from the beginning bit then... You'll be excited about some other, new world. ;)

I choose Huawei Android phone. It will come in few days. As of security issues... Just don't worry. It's no worse than Windows on your PC. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss