Will Windows Mobile be sufficient for my needs?

vermilionnguyen

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
*First of all, sorry if this is not the right place to post this. I'm new to this forum.*

Hello!

My (really) old Xperia Z3 has just failed and now I'm looking to get a new phone on the cheap. After some research, I've found a really good deal on a Nokia Lumia 929. However, I'm wondering if Windows Mobile will be a good fit for my use case.

On my phone, I usually do a lot of:
- Sending/Receiving emails (just regular Gmail, no business mail or anything)
- Surfing the web with Chrome.
- Social networking (I mainly use Facebook, Twitter and Reddit)
- Streaming videos (I watch a lot of Youtube everyday, and occasionally Twitch)
- Streaming music (mostly on Spotify, and sometimes SoundCloud)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Gmail support is okay.
Chrome is not available, you need to switch to Edge
FB is so so
Twitter is okay app
Reddit has a few third party apps
YouTube support is non existent. You can use MetroTube
I am not sure about Twitch
Spotify app is so so
SoundCloud app is so so, I don't know if it is even supported

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
To add to what others have already said:
- Readit is a great Reddit app as well as Baconit (most users use one of those two)
- MyTube is not a free app but it's better than the one on Android from my experience - it doesn't have a ton of ads and it supports background playback
- There are several clients for Twitch, the ones I used worked fine

Also you don't have to use Edge if you don't want to - there are other browsers in the Store however I do prefer Edge over other browsers.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You have had great replies so far but I'll add a note about SoundCloud.

In regards to SoundCloud, you should be fine with AudioCloud, which is an awesome third party app for it. However, if you are listening to music that is official (I believe it would be DRM protected), it will not play with it at all. This is just a third party app limitation regardless of the platform, so it really depends what you are listening to. If you are someone that listens to mixes and maybe more independent artists, you should be fine.

Oh, as for the browser, I personally like Monument Browser a lot. Edge can be a battery drain if used for a long period of time.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Well, if it suits your needs, why not? W10M will get updates till 2020. After that it's dead, yes. But who nowadays owns a phone longer than 3 years? (except me)

I agree with what you say, "if it suits your needs." What I stated was that it would be irresponsible to recommend to others.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, if it suits your needs, why not? W10M will get updates till 2020. After that it's dead, yes. But who nowadays owns a phone longer than 3 years? (except me)

Except that while the core OS may be getting security updates, Edge isn't getting any better (its still inferior I believe) and app updates likely won't last that long. All I think OP will be happy with is email and Reddit.

fat8893

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
- Outlook Mail is more than enough to do the job. I even have my website domain email inside Outlook Mail, and it never miss a beat.

- I seems not to have any sort of problem with Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 Mobile. That said, there are a lot of browsers inside MS Store for you to try out.

- There is an official Facebook (alongside Facebook Beta) and Twitter app for Windows 10 Mobile. For Reddit, I'm using Readit.

- I use myTube. It may lack live streaming, but it was miles better than the official YouTube app. I did see Twitch in MS Store, but I'm not a Twitch user, so I cannot tell much about it.

- Spotify is now under maintenance mode. In other words, no more development for Windows 10 Mobile. It's still available to download in MS Store to this point, but if you're lucky, you won't be experiencing a 'keeps on loading' issue like what I experienced with my current Lumia 830. As for SoundCloud, try Audiocloud. It uses Groove Music UI, so that should be fine.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm... my younger brother's currently using Android, but he really wanted to use W10M.

And what is your point here? How is this related to my comment? I really want to use W10M too, but every time I pick up my 950 I am immediately reminded why I jumped ship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3