Hi, my name is...and I'm a Windows 10 mobile addict

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Humm that's strange, don't seem to recall that ever being a problem for me in my 2+ years of use nor prior to 2012. Suppose I took the time to read the disclaimers "contains ads" and chose wisely by doing the "in-app purchase" thingy to alleviate such. Come to think of it, Windows 10 (PC) has been more problematic on that front lately, keeps nagging me every time I launch Firefox "Microsoft Edge is safer than Firefox"?

Nothing to me is that important and if it is, I simply pull over to respond. Where I live distracted driving laws are getting strict (fines & penalty points), even the slightest inkling you were interacting with your phone while driving will result in a ticket. So no thank you, whatever needs to be seen, said, typed, can wait.

There again, a little due diligence on the user's part goes a long way. And I definitely do not think it is as widespread as you make it out to be.

Simplicity does have its benefits so I'll agree with you there. :grin:

Personally, the opposite is true because in my case, Windows Phone has now become very limited. Can't venture to certain websites (unsupported OS/Browser), can't view my security cams, unable to link my point-n-shoot cameras, my wireless mediashare devices becomes redundant w/WP, can't stream TV shows through my cable provider, my smartwatch loses its smarts, no support for my work printers, work related diagnostic/monitoring apps for specific equipment don't exist, and so on.

On that front, Windows Phone definitely reins as the champion in the boring department for me and that's not all of. I suppose on the other hand, going by my experiences, all the inconsistencies, bugs and quirks that pop up during daily use can be construed as WP's way of keeping things interesting and far from boring. :winktongue:

oh please Android is riddled with adware and it is THE biggest complaint against it and you can read it all over the internet so it isn't JUST ME, I like how you try to insinuate that its just my device suffering from this and you get ZERO ADS, then I call BS! I have an android media player and I'm in mobdy or kodi and switching from channel to channel and I gotta sit through 30 second video ads or static ads popping up CONSTANTLY asking me to install this game or this app, tell me this isn't true cuzz I will post friggin screen shots if I have to, it amazes me that android users don't wanna admit this or can't be honest about it and sadly deny it! and another thing? you can be the safest person in the world (nobody is more paranoid about viruses than me) and screen everything that you install and when an app looks legitimate there is NO WAY of telling and you install it by accident, I bet YOU have one and don't even know it... there is no way of telling a virus app from a legitimate app from one another... I've had friends install messenger apps for facebook and then it took over their FB account and started inserting links to malicious phishing sites to everyone in their contact list and posting weird video links, I looked online and there is TONS of threads of people having this happen to them! so again, please don't try and make it seem like I'm the ONLY one this has happened too...

as for browsing, Edge has never given me any problems and there isn't a site that I CAN'T go on that gives me this trouble. it works just as good as the PC version.... maybe you have something set up incorrectly? have you set up Edge to desktop version?

the ONLY thing you can boast about is there isn't as much apps for WM10 as there is in Android! that's it.... Android wins this hands down and I'm not disputing that, but another thing I can point out is that there is 50,000 duplicate adds and it gets redundant very quickly and is a PITA to sort through all those redundant apps.... I mean how many fart apps or flashlight apps or face morphing apps do you need for god sakes?

of course safety is paramount when driving a car and we're not discussing that, what we're discussing is the fact that Android has ZERO safe way of interacting with TXT messages when driving and WM10 "DOES" through Cortana, which you try to just dismiss in my post and don't wanna admit it, which I find very typical of Android user... why can't you admit that?

Mod edit:
Inappropriate comments removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

postanote

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
When ever I try to respond here. It tells me my post has error and never completes.
Now, it's giving me a error (exceeded) threshold. Oh, well.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
oh please Android is riddled with adware and it is THE biggest complaint against it and you can read it all over the internet so it isn't JUST ME, I like how you try to insinuate that its just my device suffering from this and you get ZERO ADS, then I call BS! I have an android media player and I'm in mobdy or kodi and switching from channel to channel and I gotta sit through 30 second video ads or static ads popping up CONSTANTLY asking me to install this game or this app, tell me this isn't true cuzz I will post friggin screen shots if I have to, it amazes me that android users don't wanna admit this or can't be honest about it and sadly deny it! and another thing? you can be the safest person in the world (nobody is more paranoid about viruses than me) and screen everything that you install and when an app looks legitimate there is NO WAY of telling and you install it by accident, I bet YOU have one and don't even know it... there is no way of telling a virus app from a legitimate app from one another... I've had friends install messenger apps for facebook and then it took over their FB account and started inserting links to malicious phishing sites to everyone in their contact list and posting weird video links, I looked online and there is TONS of threads of people having this happen to them! so again, please don't try and make it seem like I'm the ONLY one this has happened too...

as for browsing, Edge has never given me any problems and there isn't a site that I CAN'T go on that gives me this trouble. it works just as good as the PC version.... maybe you have something set up incorrectly? have you set up Edge to desktop version?

the ONLY thing you can boast about is there isn't as much apps for WM10 as there is in Android! that's it.... Android wins this hands down and I'm not disputing that, but another thing I can point out is that there is 50,000 duplicate adds and it gets redundant very quickly and is a PITA to sort through all those redundant apps.... I mean how many fart apps or flashlight apps or face morphing apps do you need for god sakes?

of course safety is paramount when driving a car and we're not discussing that, what we're discussing is the fact that Android has ZERO safe way of interacting with TXT messages when driving and WM10 "DOES" through Cortana, which you try to just dismiss in my post and don't wanna admit it, which I find very typical of Android user... why can't you admit that?

Mod edit:
Inappropriate comments removed.

Oh the old too many fart, flash-light, Face Morphing apps rebuttal, cute. :smile:

But anyway...

I own/use all 3 platforms extensively, presently still own WP's (L830/L650/L950) - just updated 650/950 today as a matter of fact - so coming on here to spout MY opinion is not without substance (as you may so think) as I've been there done that with em all and still doing it.

I'm not saying Android is the most secure or without its problems. Yet when someone mention Droid others quickly make it out that, by using it, hundreds of people out there now have same identities, ones bank account is instantly drained, or you'll be riddle w/viruses. Sorry, pretty sure its no where near like that.

Edge - Tried everything including desktop, multiple browsers, etc. Just those facts alone lead me to believe the OS is to blame here. Also, strange as it may sound we have even got same message using Edge for PC with some sites... First and only encounters of such kind have only ever occurred w/W10 for PC/Phone, that I can recall.

Again, nothing is that important that I need to interact with my phone while driving, if a case arises our passenger can fulfil that role. Besides, been a while since we tried but Cortana has never worked like it should in my Country, could be different as a few months have passed but highly doubting it.

In the end and how I look at, no matter how one sugar coats it W10M falls way short for the majority of mobile users out there. Don't think I'm too far off on this assumption otherwise the music would still be blaring, sounds pretty muffled to me.

Best thing for us both - agree to disagree

Have yourself a good night :smile:

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
we'll see how that goes after awhile, when you get sick of the constant ads popping up when opening/using an app or when you have a txt message come in when your driving and have nothing to read it to you and you have to pull over to read it or dangerously read it while driving because there's no Cortana to read it to you, or you mistakenly install an app that you thought was legitimately real but turned out to be a virus... that's why my android phone stays in my drawer...

I'm not using a Windows phone because I have an addiction and others as well, it's because Windows is just more user friendly than the other phones. Addiction is not the correct word to use in this instance but because we see (dare I say) windows phones is just better than the boring counter parts. the ONLY way I see it is MS gave up on Windows phone and gave up on US... had they stuck it out and let everyone know that they plan on sticking it out would be the game changer today and WM10 wouldn't be where it is today.... ((SMH)) shame on you MSFT!

1. Ads. Not sure about you, but when I used my 950XL, many apps had ads. While apps with no ads were true with 8.1, it wasn't as true with W10M. More and more apps started to implement ads. True that Android has plenty of ads in many apps, but at least majority of official apps do not (at least not the ones I use).

2. SMS reading while driving, yes Cortana has that covered. But eventually Microsoft will do the same for Android because it's clear that MSFT is putting all their attention at Android. They will eventually make it their primary mobile OS.

3. Apps with viruses and malware. Again, true. However, a little attention will take you a long way. I don't just blindly install apps because I see a name and reviews. I check the developer and read few reviews or get direct links. I've been doing the same with W10M.

The fact that majority of MSFT services actually work better on Android says something. OneDrive uploads faster on auto-upload on Android. Outlook is just better. OfficeLens is better. Even the keyboard (Swift) is better. Cortana is weaker on Android, but I'm slowly switching over to Google Assistant due to several Home Minis in my house. Location based recommendations, etc on Google are miles ahead of anything Microsoft has. The fact that I can sync Android with my Win 10 laptop is another great option that I would've missed, but Android supports it. Even continue on PC is supported.

App choices on Android just destroy anything W10M can offer, except for Youtube Apps (ironic). Third party Youtube apps on W10M are the best in business. I loved my W10M devices, loved using it. If they hadn't given up on W10M and if W10M had primary apps, I would stay. But at this point Android is just more advanced on pretty much every level. It's unfair to compare hardware (note 8 vs 950XL) so I'm not gonna do it.

If MSFT does release Surface Phone, I would be all over it. But as of right now, Android is just 10 steps ahead.

Muhammad Arif8

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Windows Central is one my favorite news.. I keep my eyes to watch at least once daily... I am interested in all Microsoft products but the most interesting is a Phone. Till now i still hope that Microsoft release Surface phone. Of course with Windows 10 Mobile inside.

NokianWP

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I've loved it since WP8. Going to have to move to Android, but I'm waiting for Project Treble support, that should boost the longevity of android phones. That, and this year has been a pretty bad/mediocre year, with lots of phones having issues, or outdated CPUs. The 835 is approaching a year old soon, feels like the krait 400 all over again. Really had my sights on the v30, but it was announced in September, had quality control issues, doesn't have a good update timeframe, and is carrier locked until around yesterday, while also being $800 with the Qualcomm 845 just around the corner. I've found Launcher 10 to be a good windows-esque experience for android's rather bland design.

Coop909

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Let me just say i have been with Microsoft Mobile since Windows Phone 7 and my Samsung Focus. I currently use a 950XL which i love. But I'm getting ready to finally leave Microsoft becuz they have basically said the OS is dead and they aren't gonna do anything to change it. Sucks. I wish they would sell the OS to Samsung and let them run with it and have it go up against Google. I bet the OS would take off then and we'd get all the missing apps. But i highly doubt that will happen, too many trade secrets for "Windows" to give away. How awesome would that be tho, to see Samsung drop Android and own Windows Mobile? Anyways, prolly gonna get a Galaxy Note, wife and kids have already made the switch, I'm the last holdout. I kept hanging on hoping for the "Holy Grail" but Microsoft punked out like a *****. Hell, they should have kept developing Windows Mobile even if it was just for the few loyalists. That's loyalty. Now everyone's opinion of them has changed. And not for the good either. Itz sad. I'm honestly depressed over this, i loved my Windows Mobile and my 950XL. It was a great OS that was neutered after windows phone 7.5 i think, when they lost the complete integration with facebook and everything else. I feel bad for HP, they create a killer phone only to see MS pack up shop. That's some going postal type stuff there. As much money as they make, they couldn't even take care of their own. The writing was on the wall tho when we started seeing apps and stuff they created going out to Apple and Android before us the windows mobile consumers. I feel so stupid. Man, what's the saying, "fool me once, shame on u, fool me twice, shame on me" well "fool me 3 times and itz off to Android". I wish they would pull their heads out of their asses and focus on MS and the people that are/were loyal to MS. Anyways, just thought i would say something.

Skier7667

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I started with the Lumia 900, then the 635, then the 640. I wish I would have purchased the 640XL, because that 6 inch size screen for me is important. I don't know how Apple users thought their early iOS devices in approx. 4 inch size screen was adequate. I have an iPod Touch with that size and use it to listen to music and podcasts mainly and as a mobile device for Destiny, since I have no choice with a magnifying glass, ha! ha!

I just received an update to my 640 and it's so nice I am no longer tied to AT&T blocking these updates which they at this point in time certainly would. I love my phone, I use it for work and personal. It works perfectly, integrating with Exchange and Outlook, both calendars for my back to back appointments and emails, personal and business. I know it doesn't have all the apps that others have, but what it has is fine. After all 90% of apps users add they never use them much. I don't game on it, which is why I have my Xbox One-X and Xbox One.

I will continue to use it as long as it's supported. The live tile is simply gorgeous. Yes, the Android's - Pixel & Samsung are amazingly beautiful and so is the iPhone (sort of ). My 640 cost me $40 unlocked from AT&T. If the Elite was less expensive, I would purchase that due to screen size and power. With what I can purchase either the Apple or Android flagship, I can purchase more than one of these phones. All that Facebook integration/app is nice but more marketing I wish I had.

Pics I take for what they are intended for come out just fine. When I want quality pics I use my Nikon DSLR, because there is no match. But for those quick pics that are seen once and likely never again, the phone does a fine job, even in video. Does the Android or Apple take better pics, yes, but again the difference is not justified.

I look on my screen and in one glance, I see everything that's important, messages from Xbox, weather alerts, temperature, time, news headlines, you name it.

The phone itself works great, no dropped calls, voice quality perfect, flip phone for silence, etc. Texting is also fine, even using that drag finger on screen, although I prefer to talk to the phone and the text comes out 98% perfect, most times 100%. I respond back before the other person has had time to begin closing their device, ba! ha!

My co-workers ridicule me, especially now that Microsoft has made it clear about Windows Mobile. I just suck it up and smile and let them know that my little $40 phone does what I need, then ask them how much they paid for their. "Oh! I see, so you just pay and pay forever, like a car lease, thousands of dolla5rs per year, I see, I see! So what does your phone do, it does look beautiful"

They have no idea what it does or why they purchased it. Maybe for status or for aesthetics.

That's how I feel about my outdated 640, but I do have hope that a new much better re-birth of a mobile device will come out of Redmond and Panos Panay's Surface team.

Last edited:

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Wow very familiar sentiments here. Its funny, being in the MS Win platform since 3.1 and working on computers for myself at first then later for others, I have watched with anticipation the developing of software and hardware. Knowing the potential of both. But at every corner seeing tech advances that have been nerfed and metered into slow releases to maximize profits and ultimately opportunities being lost because by the time they were getting around to finally releasing the full potential, the platform or the industry standard had changed. So overall I kept waiting and buying and trying to anticipate those promised breakouts only to find out I was holding my breath for nothing. The ideas were good, but it seems like the accounting profiteers always trump the dreamers and engineers.
This has resulted in lost money, time, energy and confidence in MS. I now view MS as no different than all the other short sighted, domineering, and exploitative companies like ios and google. I never thought I would say this, but I am getting too old to hold my breath over stuff like this anymore. The world is getting worse we all got bigger problems that to debate over what OS is better... Lol

Martin Crosbie

May 27, 2017
Visit site
I've been with Windows In my pocket since CE 2.1 in the 90's. I don't really see the need to leave it now.

Why can't windows 10 mobile be shipped like every other version of windows - on a disc (download) to be installed on the hardware of our choice? This might have been difficult back in the varied chipsets of old, but doesn't everything run on some similar Qualcomm variant now? Why can't I buy a phone then add my OS onto it like I would with a laptop or desktop?

We are 1 or 2 generations from being able to skip the different platforms altogether, and have a mobile device powerful enough to run the full fat desktop version of windows, but we're not there yet, and if rumours are to be believed that's possibly what they intend for a surface phone - a surface pro with a cellular radio.

I keep asking app developers the same question -why no windows app. They offer IOS and Android, but no windows. They say that no one uses it, and I point out the billions of PCs out there but they still think they're seperate platforms, and they dont bother with the desktops/laptops/tablets either. I tell them it might be cool to control my heating from my phone, but surely I should be able to do that from the PC too - then they say I could just use the website.... Surely if the web is all you need then the web would be good enough on the android and iOS browsers too?

The app economy killed windows. Everyone wants to buy a 99p app that does one function instead of the £20 application we used to use for a dozen different functions, so developers stopped developing. I don't want a barely functional separate email, calendar, and contact app, when I can still use fully featured Outlook.

lbp775

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Somehow he’ll probably survive, just like the other hundreds of millions of people on Android do.
I can appreciate your feelings on Windows Mobile but they are extremely biased. I have no doubt it works for you and many others, but it doesn’t for the vast majority. There are reasons for that. For instance “user friendly” is based on an individuals needs, which can differ from person to person. They can also change over time.
MS surely did make some blundering mistakes and that, along with the vision of Apple and Google, doomed them. Perhaps the future will change. We will have to wait and see.

Yes, we will all survive. But he ain't lying. I switched over to android last week and while it's nice having all these apps available, I'm surprised that some of the functionalities that I've gotten so used to is not available. Many of which he mentioned.

lbp775

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Again, nothing is that important that I need to interact with my phone while driving, if a case arises our passenger can fulfil that role. Besides, been a while since we tried but Cortana has never worked like it should in my Country, could be different as a few months have passed but highly doubting it.

You keep repeating this. So you're saying i have to carry a passenger around with me on all of my daily commutes to read and respond to my text messages while I'm driving? Do you even hear yourself? Why not just admit that Microsoft got this part right and move on? Once I moved to Android, I now understand why my friends were asking me "what app read your texts in the car?"

Muskatnuss

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm not "addicted". I have 3 930 handsets, 2 work ones and one personal one. Their batteries are slowly giving way.

I'm sticking to Windows 10 because I simply do not like the alternatives. I've never been a fan of the iOS platform since the very beginning (and I've had an unwanted elongated stint with a 3GS which was nightmarish). Having tried during 6 again I hated it, same from the X that I was given for trial by my IT procurement department. The same goes for Android from various trial Galaxys to the Pixel XL and its 2nd iteration. I can't stand Google's services and its constant ads and intrusions into every goddamn thing.

I don't care for "apps". I know it's vital for a platform these days but I really don't give a damn for every fad thing out there. Most of the things I can do quicker on a desktop in the space of a few minutes. I'm hoping Andromeda will amount to something.

I really, really don't want to switch to Android.

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
[FONT=&quot]Lumia 1520 (one of my all-time favorites), Lumia 950-XL (a letdown after the long wait) and an HP Elite x3 (the still-reigning champ at handling email, documents, and OneDrive, calendar integration). But currently using a Samsung 8+ and now a Samsung Note 8 as my reluctant daily driver. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Look, I get the joke, but this thread's title also stands for the attitude that sank the platform. The idea that it was always somehow quixotic or wrong-headed to even consider anything other than an Apple or Android device. This sentiment permeated almost every review or trade article written about Windows 10 Mobile over the last few years. Every [/FONT]article[FONT=&quot] had to be bracketed by the disclaimer that the platform was failed and doomed and using it was necessarily a fool's errand. The truth is something other than disorder brought many of us to Windows Mobile in the first place[/FONT], it[FONT=&quot] was the ultimately unrealized promise of a [/FONT]truly[FONT=&quot] integrated phone and desktop operating system across devices. And it was the slow but significant progress in delivering on that promise, and the brilliance of Live Tiles, that kept us hopeful for so long. The thing was the Windows Mobile narrative was always framed in the media by negativity and resentment against Microsoft. Microsoft should [/FONT]be blamed[FONT=&quot] for making itself vulnerable to the anti-campaign and by being so clumsy and slow in marketing and communicating generally. But the under- and over-tones were supplied by Windows Mobiles' rivals and by those in their orbits. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The devices just plain worked. The apps failure to materialize was irritating and later fatal for its continuing viability. But the [/FONT]devices[FONT=&quot] themselves worked and delivered great productivity. I ignored all the naysayers for my years with Windows Mobile [/FONT]but[FONT=&quot] over time, the lack of a few critical apps made it a nonstarter at my work. So I got Androids I didn't love but believed and hoped that I would gain [/FONT]great[FONT=&quot] benefits [/FONT]of[FONT=&quot] abundant apps. Sure, it's nice not to have to question or worry whether I will be able to run some new app [/FONT]with[FONT=&quot] an Android, but the overall experience has disappointed, comparative to Windows Mobile. And even more surprising, my assessment has become more firm as the months have gone on [/FONT]and[FONT=&quot] I've [/FONT]travelled[FONT=&quot] the learning curve. Instead of becoming smoother and turnkey, the Androids are [/FONT]constantly[FONT=&quot] atrophying and becoming slower and more crashy. So yeah, I still miss Windows Mobile as a daily driver not out of habit but because the alternatives do not satisfy. [/FONT]

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Here's what my addiction got me.

Lumia 822 had it in 2013, was stolen
Lumia 822 bought it again after a few months and traded it with a
Samsung Ativ S sold it and bought another
Lumia 822
Lumia 1520 which I used primarily as a media device and camera
Lumia 735 (My current daily driver)
Lumia 950 XL (used between Sept-Nov this year until I dropped it and the screen broke)

For my family

My girlfriend went through
Lumia 730 and Lumia 640 (She retired it just a few days ago for a Samsung J7 Prime)

My brother had a Lumia 822 and a Lumia 640

My mom uses a Lumia 640

My Uncles uses a Lumia 640 XL

wow

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
You keep repeating this. So you're saying i have to carry a passenger around with me on all of my daily commutes to read and respond to my text messages while I'm driving? Do you even hear yourself? Why not just admit that Microsoft got this part right and move on? Once I moved to Android, I now understand why my friends were asking me "what app read your texts in the car?"

OK I'll admit it " Microsoft got that ONE part right". Are you happy now?

And nope, no passenger required if one uses a little self-control - unless of course it's an emergency, which isn't your typical form of communication when it is.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes, we will all survive. But he ain't lying. I switched over to android last week and while it's nice having all these apps available, I'm surprised that some of the functionalities that I've gotten so used to is not available. Many of which he mentioned.

Like I’ve said, all the OS’s have their attributes. You have to pick the one that works best for you.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I think what he’s saying is texting while driving in any form takes your attention and mind off the road which is dangerous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss