Is Wechat really gone?

kelifu

Nov 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I just registered so nice "meeting" you all. I've been using Windows phones since about 2012 and currently have a 950 XL and a 640 XL. Hidden away in a box somewhere is a Moly X1. They all run Windows 10 Mobile Version 1709 on the latest insiders fast builds.

So I'm visiting China in a couple weeks for vacation and everyone is telling me to get Wechat up and running before I go.

Well, it seems the newly revamped "Microsoft Store" only has Wechat for desktops/laptops but no longer for mobile. There is a web version, but that won't work since you need to create an account from an the actual mobile version first.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know if the XAP or APPX for wechat for windows 10 mobile exists anywhere and if so, would it even be possible to install?

Thanks so much.

--Cliff

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Many apps are no longer available on W10M, sadly. WeChat is one of them. I also learnt that The Guardian (UK newspaper) dropped their support for Windows entirely for their app as well as the popular (and very good) ebook reader, Freda, now moving to Android. These are the times we live in.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you had WeChat installed previously then you can download it from your download history. Otherwise... you'd be better off doing as others suggest.

kelifu

Nov 27, 2017
Visit site
If you had WeChat installed previously then you can download it from your download history. Otherwise... you'd be better off doing as others suggest.
At one point I did, but now doesn't even show as a possibility to download in "my apps" in the Microsoft Store. Even visiting their site directs me to a page that says "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.". Looks like it's a goner. With that said, I really do love my 950 and 640 XL so will try to make due on my trip to China without wechat....

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
At one point I did, but now doesn't even show as a possibility to download in "my apps" in the Microsoft Store. Even visiting their site directs me to a page that says "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.". Looks like it's a goner. With that said, I really do love my 950 and 640 XL so will try to make due on my trip to China without wechat....

In that case, I would say just pick up a cheap android phone to use as personally you don't want to compromise your hard earned holiday all for the sake of platform familiarity / loyalty.

I took my L920 and L930 with me on holiday and everything performed admirably except the moments when the camera on my L930 just randomly crashed when I was taking a panaroma photo.

Also the maps app was absolutely diabolical, I ended up walking for a few hours on a 30 minute route in a botanical garden, because it kept jumping (re-calculating) constantly and then the battery gave way. I had offline maps and still it wasn't able to give me a simple a to b route. So in the end, I used landmarks to navigate, use transport and see the sights.

I didn't mind the walk as I was able to see alot more places but for reliability I would not even give the maps app a 0, even a minus rating would be far too generous.

I also had notifications issues, I missed a few (at that time) important events. So if I were you I would take a cheap Android phone with a decent camera as a backup.

Last edited:

Greg Bruce2

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
So ...
Assuming I am unwilling to carry a second phone just for wechat, and cannot upgrade my 950XL yet, ... can we pop back to the OP original thought - does anyone have a working XAP for wechat (and an approach to use for installation) ?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't, but I would also be careful because while you may be able to find and install an XAP, it may be broken by backend changes WeChat has made and that probability only grows over time.

Greg Bruce2

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, I see your point - but it still works fine on my broken (Wifi Only, busted scren, unfocusable camera) 950XL - I just want the same on my newer 950xl

ghce

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
While rooting my Lumia to extract the install, I've noticed WeChat is now back on the Microsoft store. Has really made my day, and now don't need to risk bricking my Lumia.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...re%2Fp%2Fwechat%2F9wzdncrcwvlv&token=cZSg9nCB

Reviving an old thread here

Just purchased a second 950XL Dual Sim to act as a backup for my existing (and working well) 950XL dual sim.

Did a backup install of the current 950XL and all went very well BUT no WeChat :cry: just says there is an error and is greyed out on the tile for it, nowhere to be found and no longer in the store as indicated above.

WeChat still works fine on my old 950XL, use it every day and would be lost with out it.

Can any one suggest how to get it up and running on the new backup phone, is the download for it available any where? (obviously not the app store!).

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I just registered so nice "meeting" you all. I've been using Windows phones since about 2012 and currently have a 950 XL and a 640 XL. Hidden away in a box somewhere is a Moly X1. They all run Windows 10 Mobile Version 1709 on the latest insiders fast builds.

So I'm visiting China in a couple weeks for vacation and everyone is telling me to get Wechat up and running before I go.

Well, it seems the newly revamped "Microsoft Store" only has Wechat for desktops/laptops but no longer for mobile. There is a web version, but that won't work since you need to create an account from an the actual mobile version first.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know if the XAP or APPX for wechat for windows 10 mobile exists anywhere and if so, would it even be possible to install?

Thanks so much.

--Cliff

Try this and let me know if it works. It did for me a few months back when I had to reset my 950. The tile is in Chinese but other than that it works fine. Here is the link...
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ivetab%3Dpivot%253Aoverviewtab&token=kkzf0gTV

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes