Returning Windows Phone Fan

Jonny Kowalczyk

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I've been into Windows phones since they where released and have been in and out of them on and off since that time. Always returning and hoping for the best, I have beta tested every new iteration of the phone software - I was even sent a Lumia 950 and display dock FOR FREE by Microsoft for doing so but have long since got rid of it.

Anyway I know they have killed of support for the old stuff and all that is dead, but my phone recently broke (android) and I thought hell ill buy a cheapish windows phone that's upgradable to 10 as a temporary measure and stick with that until I know for sure what Microsoft has planned for the future, whether its a new line of mobile surface devices with phone capabilities or something else - to be honest I missed the tiles, the UI - you guys know what I'm talking about, I missed my windows phone. I tried 2 different iPhones and hated them, I had a few androids but they kept crashing and the temptation to root them and do strange things to them meant I kept breaking them anyway haha - I cant wait to have a Lumia in my hands again for better or for worse!

So what do you folks think is on the horizon for phone? will it be killed off completely, will we be getting some weird folding augmented reality device?

cheers. jonny.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think what Microsoft wants to do "something new". At least for now, Microsoft has promised support for newer phones until 2020.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Simply put "KAPUT". And I see nothing that hints that there will be anything in regards to Windows Phone in the foreseeable future, looks like MS is switching to Android any way LOL.

The HP Elite X3 Bundle that's nearly 2-years old still retains its $1000 price tag here in Canada which, in my opinion, is utterly ridiculous.

They may be offering support until 2020 but think many apps (that work now) will fade before that date. Essentially the phones usefulness will lessen no matter what MSFT themselves throw at it.

msft_store.jpg

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Simply put "KAPUT". And I see nothing that hints that there will be anything in regards to Windows Phone in the foreseeable future, looks like MS is switching to Android any way LOL.

The HP Elite X3 Bundle that's nearly 2-years old still retains its $1000 price tag here in Canada which, in my opinion, is utterly ridiculous.

They may be offering support until 2020 but think many apps (that work now) will fade before that date. Essentially the phones usefulness will lessen no matter what MSFT themselves throw at it.

I agree.
Dead apps, declining support for ancient hardware is the future laid out for the Windows Mobile user.
Microsoft is still trying to let the hardcore fan down easy. I don't see the sense in coddling.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@Jonny Kowalczyk
Hi. Nice to meet you. My answer is I have no clue. I wish I knew. It'd be nice if Microsoft had a plan for mobile but at the moment they are content supporing the last OEMs and their final fleet of Microsoft Lumias. But who knows really. They have the power to change course whenever they want. They have already decided abruptyly W10M is on life support. So they could easily decide that XXXX_XX is our new mobile platform going forward...

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
This was posted on MSN today:

Average selling prices for smartphones are expected to rise to $317 by 2021, up from $282 in 2016.

IDC estimated the market share for Android-powered devices to be 85.1 percent this year, and mirror the overall market over the next few years to hit 85.3 percent by 2021.

The market share for Apple is estimated at 14.8 percent in 2017, and seen slipping to 14.6 percent by 2021, IDC said.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
@Jonny Kowalczyk
Hi. Nice to meet you. My answer is I have no clue. I wish I knew. It'd be nice if Microsoft had a plan for mobile but at the moment they are content supporing the last OEMs and their final fleet of Microsoft Lumias. But who knows really. They have the power to change course whenever they want. They have already decided abruptyly W10M is on life support. So they could easily decide that XXXX_XX is our new mobile platform going forward...

Yes MSFT could do anything but in my opinion, they burnt too many bridges w/mobile, any attempt at a comeback is going to be painfully slow if at all.

And as I stated before, they (MS) may continue support for a while yet but apps going to the wayside are going to cripple it way before then.

And yes it would be nice if we the consumer knew what MSFT's PLANS were for mobile (if any) but they've always kept the waters somewhat murky. As it stands now I do not think they have any intentions of developing mobile further as we knew it. Seeing Windows Store is now selling "an" Android I'm guessing they are going to concentrate on their suite of apps for the other platforms instead.

Jonny Kowalczyk

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, i'm definitely going to keep a windows phone and have a foot in the water waiting to see what happens but i'll also have a second android device because why the hell not i love phones. I'm just bored of android and I hate ios - its such a shame to let that ui and those tiles die - im thinking of getting a windows 10 tablet that allows mobile communication through a 4g sim card as I'm usually sat on a similar device anyways.

Ferkner

May 17, 2017
Visit site
Time to move on. All the new features and apps that come to phones are things Windows Phone users can't enjoy. I've gotten to the point where I will be buying a Zenfone in the new year and laving Windows 10 Mobile behind. I see no point in sticking with it anymore.

fat8893

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
I dunno. I'm in the same boat as you - I had left Android and joined in Windows Phone. Never regretting it a bit.

But hey, time will tell if MS have an ace up on their sleeve with that still-unknown-status Surface Phone.

Kurt Kristoffersen

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I love my surface book and pro 3 and my Lumia 950XL, I absolutely hate IPhone and Android user interface, i just hoped that MS would had made an Surface in phone size with T-Mobile LTE WiFi call enabled and simple web browser favorite “icon” shortcut type for fast access, expectations for that to happen with Satya Nadella with the mobile steering wheel is zero.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99