Continuum was a marketing disaster

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Bought a boxing day Idol4s specifically to be a continuum device. Teamviewer or RDP to all the machines I need, going on vacation right after a work trip and didn't want to lug my main computer around with me on vacation.

Has worked great and blowing people's minds away at work. They be like, I see a mouse and keyboard, a big display but what's going on here with your phone. Where's your laptop lol.

Still getting my skype, twitter, instagram, reminders notifications in the action center,.... it's great.

Still could be a bit less laggy, but I'm still productive.

Would like work to just give us VMs and we use little continuum devices

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You can pick up a factory refurb Acer Primo for $129 with the dock, keyboard and mouse. The Idol is $169 if you want brand new. Throw in a sub $100 display and you're done.

Sent from my Idol 4S on mTalk

And u can build a reasonable desktop for the same price in India, around 200$ :)
Acer primo is at throwaway prices due WPs demise.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
And u can build a reasonable desktop for the same price in India, around 200$ :)
Acer primo is at throwaway prices due WPs demise.
(A) Desktops don't make phone calls.
(B) The Primo is at throwaway prices because it isn't a Lumia so it has to be a piece of s**t. Much better than the Idol for sure and best non-Lumia camera.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
(A) Desktops don't make phone calls.
(B) The Primo is at throwaway prices because it isn't a Lumia so it has to be a piece of s**t. Much better than the Idol for sure and best non-Lumia camera.

Well we can keep arguing this but fact is the so called developing economies are not excited abt continuum. it has proved to be niche and probably thats y MS already as silently axed it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well we can keep arguing this but fact is the so called developing economies are not excited abt continuum. it has proved to be niche and probably thats y MS already as silently axed it.
What Continuum is and what the thread is about are totally different. It's about Microsoft's marketing prowess and not a referendum on the capabilities of the feature. Focus.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
What Continuum is and what the thread is about are totally different. It's about Microsoft's marketing prowess and not a referendum on the capabilities of the feature. Focus.

Good point, but we live in a global society and are all connected. I’m not saying marketing isn’t important, it is, but if continuum was the bees knees wouldn’t everyone know about it and be clamoring for it? I don’t know that much about it to judge, it could be the next big thing. If it truly could help those in less developed countries the word should get out so people can take advantage of it if they choose.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Good point, but we live in a global society and are all connected. I’m not saying marketing isn’t important, it is, but if continuum was the bees knees wouldn’t everyone know about it and be clamoring for it? I don’t know that much about it to judge, it could be the next big thing. If it truly could help those in less developed countries the word should get out so people can take advantage of it if they choose.
True enough, but remember that anything Windows does, no matter how good, is never enough for the tech writers. People believe what they read more than what they see or read in ad copy. Riddle me this, if you weren't a regular here would you have ever heard of a PC stick? I know I wouldn't. Zero advertising even from the places that sold them like Best Buy. Granted, Samsung hasn't lifted a finger to push DeX either so it may be the public is not ready for Continuum or any other desktop wannabe. At least that's my experience in the US. I can't speak intelligently on what's being bandied about in places like India or Indonesia.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
True enough, but remember that anything Windows does, no matter how good, is never enough for the tech writers. People believe what they read more than what they see or read in ad copy. Riddle me this, if you weren't a regular here would you have ever heard of a PC stick? I know I wouldn't. Zero advertising even from the places that sold them like Best Buy. Granted, Samsung hasn't lifted a finger to push DeX either so it may be the public is not ready for Continuum or any other desktop wannabe. At least that's my experience in the US. I can't speak intelligently on what's being bandied about in places like India or Indonesia.

I know what you mean. It’s hard for us, as tech enthusiasts, to have a true consumer perspective. We are more in the loop. But MS is a huge company and gets lots of press whether intentional or not.
I don’t know. I see the modern world as so connected and the younger generation so up on these things but, as you said, that’s my perspective from the U.S. and I don’t know what it’s like in other countries. Perhaps someone else can enlighten us who lives in a place where continuum could be as you say.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Well thread is about marketing of 'continuum' but it couldn't be marketed because of what it was.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well thread is about marketing of 'continuum' but it couldn't be marketed because of what it was.
How do you figure? All phones market features unique to them. I've yet to see an ad harping on app stores or even what OS they run. Samsung's new ads are mostly about the Note 8 and its S-Pen and what it can do. With very few exceptions, iPhone ads are always about their cameras and imaging. Yeah, it's boring as all hell but Continuum is a unique feature and should've been marketed. The 950s had stellar cameras that are worthy to this day and could've been worth the price of admission on that basis alone. I don't know jack about marketing, but I do know what I see. If Samsung and Apple can push features, so could Microsoft.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
How do you figure? All phones market features unique to them. I've yet to see an ad harping on app stores or even what OS they run. Samsung's new ads are mostly about the Note 8 and its S-Pen and what it can do. With very few exceptions, iPhone ads are always about their cameras and imaging. Yeah, it's boring as all hell but Continuum is a unique feature and should've been marketed. The 950s had stellar cameras that are worthy to this day and could've been worth the price of admission on that basis alone. I don't know jack about marketing, but I do know what I see. If Samsung and Apple can push features, so could Microsoft.

Well MS doesnt know marketing, we all know that, But Samsung knows marketing yet Dex doesnt make it to the ads, the feature may be unique but has limited use cases and will not appeal to the mass.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well MS doesnt know marketing, we all know that, But Samsung knows marketing yet Dex doesnt make it to the ads, the feature may be unique but has limited use cases and will not appeal to the mass.
They really don't need to push DeX. Between bashing Apple and showing off the S-Pen, they're covered. Microsoft on the other hand needs a gimmick, for lack of a better word. The last ad I remember was for the 1020 and it was all about the camera. Frankly, they don't have much else to offer the average consumer right now.

Sent from my Lumia 950XL on mTalk

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
They really don't need to push DeX. Between bashing Apple and showing off the S-Pen, they're covered. Microsoft on the other hand needs a gimmick, for lack of a better word. The last ad I remember was for the 1020 and it was all about the camera. Frankly, they don't have much else to offer the average consumer right now.

Sent from my Lumia 950XL on mTalk

I guess MS realizes this n not even trying it anymore, their focus will be enterprise, I would say that consumers should'nt even pin their hopes on the foldable device.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Im back home, visit the big shopping mall in the state. All the big IT brands are present. Briefly observed in my walk around...

Samsung have DeX. But the shops I been to, the staff don't even know it exist. None even bother to demonstrate what it is. Samsung doesn't bother, they dont need it.
I was at the Huawei shops, most have a monitor connected to a Mate10/pro... At least they try harder than Samsung
Microsoft?? I cant find a single W10 phone on sale. Lots of laptops & Surface. The old MSFT licensed shop now revert back to Nokia, which of course only sells Android. Even the HP shop has zero brochures on the X3.
Disaster? That's a understatement!!

... !

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft?? I cant find a single W10 phone on sale. Lots of laptops & Surface. The old MSFT licensed shop now revert back to Nokia, which of course only sells Android. Even the HP shop has zero brochures on the X3.
Disaster? That's a understatement!!

... !

And It's a good thing! :wink::wink:

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
True.
Hope I don't switch to Android anytime soon. Half the time, I leave my laptop at home, and I'm already so used to doing work with Excel on my 950XL in continuum.

... !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb