ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The OP does have a point though. If you aren't a heavy app user, the app gap isn't as big a factor as it is made out to be. I noted this when I originally went for Windows Phone with my Lumia 1020. I would be interested to see how many apps the average IPhone/Android user actually uses. I suspect most people don't use many outside of the basic set. Banking Apps are more problematic as most have pulled their windows apps.

Sure, but this is for individual users. As long as we're shunned by mainstream developers windows mobile won't gain any traction. Then again it's already too late.

The thing is, average consumers will follow the masses and if the masses aren't picking up a device running WM10, why should they? Couple that with missing apps/apps that aren't updated frequently/apps that are available but aren't optimized or lack basic/major features... what's the point?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, average consumers will follow the masses and if the masses aren't picking up a device running WM10, why should they?

The reasons the "masses" are going where they are are the same reasons why I do it. It's the path of least resistance. It's like accusing someone who drives on the highway (instead of striking out cross country) of "following the masses", because that's where everyone else drives. In both cases, it's the best option.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
So... where is my app gap?

First, every app you mention in your list sucks compared to the Android or iOS version. Especially Microsofts own first party apps. And when I say they sucks I don't just mean they are missing a lot of features, most apps are awfully slow to load and to use, badly designed and never updated compared to Android/iOS versions.

Second, WM10 is missing a lot of first party apps which many people relies on, like banking apps, online/mobile identification apps, mobile payment apps and so on...

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
First, every app you mention in your list sucks compared to the Android or iOS version. Especially Microsofts own first party apps. And when I say they sucks I don't just mean they are missing a lot of features, most apps are awfully slow to load and to use, badly designed and never updated compared to Android/iOS versions.

Second, WM10 is missing a lot of first party apps which many people relies on, like banking apps, online/mobile identification apps, mobile payment apps and so on...

Why are you here? I'm just curious.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The reasons the "masses" are going where they are are the same reasons why I do it. It's the path of least resistance. It's like accusing someone who drives on the highway (instead of striking out cross country) of "following the masses", because that's where everyone else drives. In both cases, it's the best option.

Lol my comment was not meant to bash or drive anyone away. If it sounded like that, I apologize. I'm fully for people using whatever makes their lives easier. However I do find it funny, that most people aren't able to make up their own minds and will simply listen to others. I understand that's how the world might work, but I don't have to agree with it

ktcomputing

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I could not take it anymore and switched back to my 950. I have been using an android S7 since early October and still cannot find any of these awesome apps a previous poster mentioned. I admit that I am simple person and have no desire to post images of my food and would rather play Xbox than a mobile game – so many ‘cool’ apps do not apply to me.

This has been my experience with android apps:

• All of camera apps are to slow to launch and the image quality does not come near the 950. By the time the android camera starts and is ready the picture moment is gone. Miss having a dedicated camera button.

• Swipe keyboards are terrible. Microsoft SwiftKey has tons of nice options and skins, but I just want a keyboard that works. SwiftKey was slow and predictive text was awful and would change previous words without visual markers. Ended up using the Samsung keyboard in pecking mode which was faster than having to fix all the errors from swipe.

• Hate the old Win 3.1/progman UI on android (and IOS). Yes, I have tried Microsoft’s Launcher (buggy and still progman) and Launcher 10 (must be restored once a week and requires yearly subscription for it to be useful). Lived through Win 3.1 UI once and that was enough.

• Weather (and many other) apps are just a shell to a web site. MSN’s Weather app UI is much cleaner on W10M. AccuWeather looks okay but is just a shell app. Most of the time I just linked to the web site.

• No built-in call blocking. No big deal you say, just download an app. Okay, tried many of the top-rated apps and most of them would randomly take over the phone and display a full screen ad!

• Audible is much better on W10M. On android I must write down my book location because the app will lose current location if you do not use the app for a couple of days.

• You also get the joy of running a security app with android. I use ESET Mobile Security which is another $2/month or you can run a lite version in manual mode.

• There are many more issues – writing code for android is a pain, no way of completely getting rid of google spying, no good UI standards and every app works differently, every app installs with notifications on, many apps run a background thread, most apps require full access to the phone, video commercials, no global ‘use Edge for all internet’, syncing contacts, syncing calendars, …
Here are the apps I am missing on W10 and my work arounds:
  • TP-Link Kasa – custom app
  • INSTEON App – custom app
  • Schwab (banking) – using a development android phone for deposits.
Really wish Microsoft would open source W10M.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Why are you here? I'm just curious.

The same reason you are here, because they are a smartphone enthusiast that either used Windows Mobile in the past or still does.

People do use more than one platform or, like myself, have used them all. We like certain things about each one and enjoy talking about the good and the bad. That should be allowed as long as the forum rules are followed.

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I worry at the rate of developers pulling there app or not being updated that we will soon see Microsoft store no longer functional anymore as they done before on older platforms.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I worry at the rate of developers pulling there app or not being updated that we will soon see Microsoft store no longer functional anymore as they done before on older platforms.

Devs are mostly pulling out on the mobile front. UWP is the way to go anyways. Targeting laptops and consoles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos