Confused - Mix feelings.

CarolinaChief

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Everyone seems to want to make the jump from Windows Phone because of the lack of apps... This is precisely the reason i KEEP using WP! My wife uses android and there are beyond infinite amounts of the most annoying apps ever on there, namely Snapchat, and she's always wanting me to get something else so i can download it, too. The last thing i want is another reason to keep pulling my phone out, especially for that garbage, haha. I've been using the Lumia 735 now for a couple of years and i think it's still a great phone. I don't DESIRE anything else, because it does everything i want it to. In the long-term (and worse case scenario) where most everything just stops working, then it's just a f***ing phone and that's good enough for me!

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why the rush to abandon this great product. My 950 works great, and I need it for nothing more than I did the day I bought it year and a half ago. Does everything I need.

And there's no way I'm giving my personal and business data to Google, and iPhones are just stupid. Got my original 950 and two backups just in case.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I got a brand new galaxy, used it for a month and I'm back on my 950xl. Android is a mess, Imo, and i couldn't stand it. The ui is frigging terrible. It's an OS designed without any style or love. I'll stick with my wp until the next windows phone line launches.

That being said, i wouldn't buy a new WP today. Idk what i would buy, but it's a tough situation right now.

instantk

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
i never used android or ios before.. windows was my first smartphone os..i started using it in 2013.. bought my first android device (oneplus 5T) last month and still have my lumia 640 active. i feel it was a good decision. moving on from live tiles was not that difficult.

sameersaab

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
my only fear is if major apps like Whatsapp, Telegram, Twitter stop supporting WP.
I have the EliteX3, but I miss the Lumia 1520. sometimes consider getting a new one. the 1520 works beautifully because it didnt get the creators update - which destroyed my favorite feature: people hub integration. When I roll back my HP to before creator's update, I can install MSFT version of facebook and I have people hub working.

Also creators update took away App Corner. Which I thought was an awesome feature, especially when i hand my phone over to kids.

if I could really have it my way, I'd use WP 8.1 instead, but I'm dead sure that apps will stop working there soon enough.

extrikate

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Leaving Windows Phone was a tough choice and I hope there is a future. Unfortunately, there had to come a time for me to stop making excuses for why I use it. As someone who used Windows Mobile/Phone exclusively since it appeared in 2003, my admiration of the platform couldn't out weigh the compromises.

I hope to return one day, but I am actually having a pretty good experience with Android. I am running Launcher 10 though, so I am getting the closest thing to Windows 10M while also having the apps I need for work 😁

Hazuos

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
The UI is too hard to live without. This is the first reason why I decided to buy a new battery for my 950 hoping it will solve some issues I have with the phone now. The second aspect is that I really don't need more than 6 apps (mostly social). Why willing a new, fast, sexy phone if it's just to use it for time consuming useless apps.

I think the idea of a surface mobile device is an interesting thing to have hope for but if nothing comes true or before my phone dies, I will probably get back to a more standard phone. Then maybe switch from laptop to surface Lte which should solve the problem of being always connected while be able to work.

By the way if Lte becomes more standard in the tablet/pc market, why would a pocket size surface device make sense? Too small to actually work with and too big or expensive to replace a phone?

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
It hasn’t been wise to buy a Windows phone for at least a year. Probably longer. No way should anyone be buying one now. It’s dead, Jim. Move on.

Unless, of course, you are “standing your ground”.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
For one ninety nine (funny won't let me post currency amounts to post) you can get an Alcatel Idol4s with pretty good specs. That's one fifty nine American.

The OS is still just lovely - live tiles, very smooth functioning and pretty robust. I have very few crashes.
My Nokia 930 could kill a rhino if I had to hurl it, and worked really well.

Everyone who had seen the OS that it was fantastic.

Apps - the major ones are supported - we even got Uber....

Probably good for a 2nd phone. I am hoping MS will rally and do a Lazarus with it...Or hopefully let someone else play with it.....
Or maybe some crazed developers will make more apps...

Fitbit still supports it....

Yeah, when Instagram, Twitter, FB, Uber stop being supported...I will have to change...and dump MS (including Office 365 personal....I just need the space and Amazon is cheaper)

markeboyle

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
while wp10 was clean and was well done, without Google supporting it with their apps no one else followed. the platform died along with the apps both in quality and in number until there was nothing left

markeboyle

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
It's a matter of time before those apps disappear. Starbucks just left and they are Microsoft's good friend. Quality and features already dying off slowly

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Made the move to Android a few months ago, but reading your comments is making me want to stick my sim back in my trusty old 930! Must resist the temptation...

930 - the pinnacle of Nokia...Man I hope they attempt a W10 version of a phone....even for chuckles..

If MS did not destroy Nokia, I would have stay on what ever iteration they went to.

Symbian was great! Maemo...could have been.... Ah dreams....(nightmares)

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Buy a good Android phone running a Snapdragon 835. Install Square Home 2 to give yourself a tile interface.

I don't think you'll regret it.

I am using a Sony Xperia XZ Premium after being a WP user for years (900/1020/950). I honestly don't miss it, and I thought I would.

levy shikukui

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
You have lost treasure bro,first this phones have the best mobile camera to date according to AAWP,second this the only phone which supports continuum meaning even with dead screen you get job done plus entertainment,I cant sell mine.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If you don't need much as far as apps, then Windows Mobile is still good. I couldn't deal with the app situation and just want Android. Don't feel great about it, but now I can finally get me work email on my phone. Crazy that couldn't on my Windows Mobile device being that we use Exchange for our mail here are work. Other apps like Fios, Amazon Video, Banking, and Sports apps that are lacking on Windows Mobile. It was a sad day for me to move on, but I am over it now.

Why couldn't you get Exchange email on your Windows Phone, if I may ask? It works fine for me. I am just curious.

Umbra Emsisoft

Sep 5, 2017
Visit site
Windows Mobile are perfect work phones, i use it to make calls and transfer files to and from my laptops, and it has the few apps required for my job (basically MS Office and Slack), i don't use it for selfie-ing, gaming or watching movies... i have an android for that.

evillama

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Wife and I cut bait and got S8s on Black Friday. Loaded it up with Microsoft apps. It does the trick, and does it fast, and oooh the apps. Unless MS gets their sh*t together with a "category defining device" blah blah blah, doubt we'd go back. Got burned on the Band 2 - felt like a guinea pig replacing it over and over again, now very happy with an Ionic that just WORKS with Android. Again - MS - get your sh*t together.

DSR11

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
So I've sold my (perfectly working) Lumia 950XL after what Belfiore said about the future of Windows Phones.
Do i regret it? May be.
But I'm a little lost, i believe like most of you here, about the future of our beloved software.

I am having thoughts of buying one again, this time (hopefully) for a little longer.

But my biggest fear in (re-)investing in this platform is plagued by scary thoughts like what if all the apps suddenly stop supporting the OS. Like WhatsApp is one of the most crucial app today.

What happens if in an extreme case scenario where literally all the mobile (not UWP) apps abandon this ship together or one by one.

Will this happen? Should i buy one at a full price, only to learn a few months down the line that I've made a HUGE mistake? Get a second-hand one for the time being to let it all cool down?

Any help?

Honestly I would strongly caution against buying any Windows phone, especially a new one. I am only holding onto my Lumia 640 until it breaks, becomes un-manageable or, more of the eco-system erodes enough for me to migrate to another platform.

The loss of support on apps and by microosft is most troubling to say the least, and it weighs heavily on my conscience as I do love my phone and the Windows mobile platform.

I have lightly toyed with the idea of 'for the holidays' buying a lightly used Lumia 650 or 950 if I can find one for around $50-100 on ebay....but I have paused that decision to see what 2018 brings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa