Too little phone memory

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I know Windows Phone is dying but still...
I have a Lumia 640 running Windows 10 (i.e. with 8GB internal memory)
Today my phone started to tell me that its own memory is getting full and that I should move some applications to the SD Card.
I checked out the applications residing on the phone memory and there is nothing big that can be moved except for Messenger - which cannot be moved to the SD Card, LoL.
My question, however, relates to the OneDrive app (which - of course - cannot be moved to the SD Card)
It shows the following details:
App 27.0 MB
Data 285 MB (!)
Now, I checked the app and I have zero off-line files for OneDrive.
What is this 285MB data then?
Also, in the "Advanced Options" - ROTFL - it says that I could reset the program to delete its data but of course it does not work either.
This whole system is so pathetic now.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
The 285MB may be resources used by the app such as images, databases, installers/updates etc. I would move apps to the ax card. Same with music and photos. I had an 8GB SD and kept my internal clean with that :) even stock apps can usually be moved to the SD

Aravind Belagaje

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Reset your phone once. It might be because of update getting crashed it happens me often. It will show consumed memory in system block and reset is only option to fix.

Moskigirl

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread, I was just about to ask the same question.
I have a LUMIA 735 (8GB memory) and it keeps prompting to free up some space but all my apps are moved to the SD card except the ones that can't be moved and I don't even have that many apps (for the detail I don't even have Messenger...).

I hope we'll find a solution because my phone is working fine too.

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
What shows as using the most space on the phone? The only other thing I can think of is the cache in edge. Oh and deleting old text messages. If you don’t use the maps delete the maps app.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
I hope we'll find a solution because my phone is working fine too.
My 640 has become a night clock. I would get a regular message when trying to take a picture that the camera was full. My beautiful young bride was using it but i gave her my son's S7 and she's been happy.

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Odd I wasn’t sure my reply posted. I tried feom MTalk on my X3 and got the below message.

Grr...

374ba3d2c3ebcff23204d1bb387b9247.jpg

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
System & Reserved 3,60 GB
Apps&Games 2,15 but everything is mandatory and non-movable except for Messenger which can be uninstalled (but not moved to the SD Card)
Strangely, Skype can also be uninstalled.
As I mentioned OneDrive occupies the biggest space with 316MB, of which 27MB is the app and 288MB is some kind of 'data' which prompted me to post this.
As for Maps it is fully on SD card, both the app and the maps.

jmreuter

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Make sure backups are on and the phone is backed up. Then do a hard reset. You might lose some game progress that does not get backed up, but otherwise everything should come back. But catch it early on during the reload to switch app storage to the SD card so things get installed there the first time, then you don't have to fit the app move game.

jmreuter

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Oh, yeah, after the hard reset log back into your account and choose to restore the saved backup. Otherwise you will not restore all your previous apps and settings.

The usage of the 8GB internal on my 640 went down by a several GB after doing this, after a couple of years of previous use.

Moskigirl

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Make sure backups are on and the phone is backed up. Then do a hard reset. You might lose some game progress that does not get backed up, but otherwise everything should come back. But catch it early on during the reload to switch app storage to the SD card so things get installed there the first time, then you don't have to fit the app move game.

How do you backup?
As for the hard reset, would it remove W10 and go back to W8?

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I had same issue, I have been using my 640 LTE (gogofone) :) and I had just joined Insider to get the latest build and I got that message that my system memory was nearly full, I thought it was going to abort so I moved a couple apps and it continued and finished.

I had not moved OneDrive but upon reading this I looked and was able to move it, mine was only at 94mb though...I added 2GB of internal space! I now am at 5.3GB,

I see a lot of apps remaining that can be moved, but if the sd is ever moved it will create a problem, I'll have to do a hard reset at that time...or just move them back seeing as it'll never get a new build......

I wonder why your OneDrive won't move? I'm on 15254.158

Horvath Gyorgy1

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
That's strange, I am on 15063.850 and my phone says it is up to date. OneDrive moving is greyed out and even Reset app is greyed out.
Maybe, it has not been released by my telecom provider yet, I wonder...
But it is only for the meltdown vulnerability, nothing to do with OneDrive or any other app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs