Is Waze truly dead?

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
At the risk of speaking too soon, Waze seems to be back working for me today. I haven't driven anywhere with it but it opens without crashing and connects to the network (neither of which it was doing recently).

arie12345

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
To all Participants in this discussion.
Before addressing Google, I think we should try to contact the mother who is responsible for creating Windows 10 Mobile.
Just the same mother who manufactured and made sure to provide us with mobile phones that work on the wonderful system (without cynicism) Windows 10 Mobile and sell them to us as the glory of creation that will conquer the world.
Even if that did not happen, Microsoft still has a responsibility for us and it has the power to take care and to operate the levers that it has on Google.
I decided to write to Microsoft's management and I also urge you to do so.
Microsoft's management does not have an e-mail through which it can be contacted.
You can contact them through regular post mail. If you do not want to deal with regular post mail you can of course send such a word document letter (PDF) through an Internet company that will put your letter in the envelope, stamp it and send it for you for a reasonable fee.
I hereby present the letter I sent to Microsoft management so that you will be inspired by in your wording. I do not mind if you copying it if you do not have the patience to formulate your own.

To Microsoft Company Management 18 Dec 2018
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052-6399
Good day,

Re: Google caused the Waze app to stop working for Windows 10 Mobile users.

I have a Microsoft Lumia 950 xl phone purchased directly from you.
Until a week ago the Waze application was working in an out-of-date version, but it enabled updated navigation according to the data on the roads.
A few days ago I noticed that the app opens and closes immediately and cannot actually be used.
Even removing and re-installing it did not solve the problem.
I researched the Internet and it turns out that Google actually killed it for Windows 10 Mobile users.
See what your users are writing on the Windows-Central site under the heading "Is Waze truly dead?"
https://forums.windowscentral.com/w...2.1244795310.1544932271-1020362548.1544932271

You can learn that W10M users turned to Waze and received the following answer:
"Thank you for contacting Waze Support.
New versions of the Waze app are not currently optimized for the Windows Phone platform, since the vast majority of Waze users are on iOS or Android devices. We are monitoring the Windows Phone install rate and will certainly reconsider if there is significant uptake.
Thanks,
The Waze Support Team"

From this answer it's clear that if the number of W10M users does not increase significantly they will not bring Waze back to life for your users.
A smartphone without Waze is almost useless product and there is no doubt that Google has taken this step to make us switch to non-Microsoft phones.
Microsoft smartphone users expect you to operate the levers, that you undoubtedly have, on Google to give at least the minimum service they have given to the application to date without eliminating its use for us.

Trust you to know how to do it,

Best Regards,

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Same for me. Waze worked fine for 5 years since the last update, but now it's dead. It's the only app in my country with traffic updates, so now I'll have to move to Android.

come on over, the waters fine. Waze runs like a champ on Android and I'm using an GS7. You'll wish you'd made the move earlier...I did. You'll truly appreciate all the apps available on Android.

smartblu

Oct 9, 2018
Visit site
Hi,
I solve this by creating a true account :
- create your own account (from a PC)
- uninstall waze
- reinstall waze
- enter your (new) id
Hope this help.

fat8893

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
As for me, the Waze app from my Microsoft Lumia 950 XL keeps crashing. Whenever I tried to open it, it will swiftly go back to Start screen. I even tried to uninstall and reinstall it back, but that same problem happened.

Luckily, I found this app from Microsoft Store. So far, it haven't let me down.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same issues as others reported here with Waze on my 950 since early December. For me, the initial issue seemed to coincide with that month's patch updates but could just be coincidence since had to restart the phone for the update. Initial issue was the same as everyone else that it would open and then close within a few seconds unless you did not have a network connection and I tried again today and am getting the same "Uh oh! There's no network connection" message.

This is pretty much it for me (and the fact that Microsoft is discontinuing support for Skype for Business on Windows Phone this year). I'll be moving to Android as soon as I can (my wife and son moved last December). It was nice while it lasted and I still love the UI but not much you can do without apps.

Scott

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I moved over 2yrs ago. And while I loved what WP could do, especially with Cortana's text-to-speech in the vehicle and live tiles, I have enjoyed Android. There is so much more available. Had MS and the manufacturers continued to support WP, I'd still be here. I was ok with being the third platform, but no platform is for the birds.

smartblu

Oct 9, 2018
Visit site
I red elsewhere this trick : first unactivate positioning, second run waze, third activate positioning.
Hope this one will (reall)help...

arie12345

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
It does not meter if you first in-activate positioning or activate it in both modes you get "network connection" error when you open Waze.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
So not sure how to get to my Windows Phone account on Android. I thought I would have used my email address but when I logged into that I didn't see my nickname or any of my stats.

karlo88

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Waze continues to work on my Windows 8.1 Lumia. I just moved to a Windows 10 Lumia 950, and it does not work. Going back to the Store and looking at System Requirements, the recommended OS is Windows 8.

I was hoping to use this 950, for its bigger screen, quicker camera, and longer battery life. However, what has me really bummed is that Photos' LiveTile doesn't work well. Only a few of my Favorites scroll. And, if I set it in widescreen mode, it's dumb and doesn't pan to the right part of the photo.

I guess I'll go back to my 1020. As for Waze, I've been using a little iPhone 5s that I carry around, connected to the hot spot my Lumia generates. In fact, writing this, I don't even have to carry it around. I can just leave it in the car and use it for Waze and iTunes.

I love the Photos LiveTile as implemented in Windows 8.1

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
I moved over 2yrs ago. And while I loved what WP could do, especially with Cortana's text-to-speech in the vehicle and live tiles, I have enjoyed Android. There is so much more available. Had MS and the manufacturers continued to support WP, I'd still be here. I was ok with being the third platform, but no platform is for the birds.

I agree, how long can you hang on to a rotting corpse...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers