Android = Mobile. Microsoft = ?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I visited a city division to discuss some new IT systems during a conference.

To my surprise, all their productivity software - Google. Google docs, emails, drive, calendar, etc.

They also use Google maps on - much of it on their reporting systems. Integrated right in there.

They totally dropped MS

Even work laptops - Chrome Books and Macs

For their city inspectors - they are giving out Android tablets. Their city apps - Android. They totally equate mobile and cutting edge with Google. Not even Apple

While I am sure they run MS Windows on more specific systems (along with Linux) the majority don't.

The only time MS was mentioned was Azure - but only to contrast services on Amazon - which they usually use.

This was a stodgy old government, that is changing quickly.

I don't think MS abandoned the consumer market, I think the consumer is abandoning MS.

Yes, this is only one anecdote....

Think there is a come back? Think MS will come back to consumers?

Mr. V

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Think there is a come back? Think MS will come back to consumers?

In the past 3-years or so I've personally found the "other" platforms have provided ME with more stability and consistency whilst "anything" MSFT either, worsens or it is the same old. Will venture to guess I am not alone here.

So to answer your questions, kinda... Being that their antics, in my opinion, seem to be never ending, I for one could care less whether they make a come back, or return to the consumer level as we knew it a few years back.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't misunderstand me, I use Android phones and Chromebooks. But this reeks of cost-cutting in a major fashion by a cash-strapped municipality. Chromebooks are cheaper than all but a few disposable laptops. Google Docs is free and Office365 is not. Individually it may be peanuts but when you factor in the number of users, it adds up.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
MS lost consumer confidence and it is showing. Their offerings are half baked. Great, but half baked.

Other companies offer more affordable (free or near free)and compelling products that work and integrates with.

simple features such as syncing just doesn't work well on Windows products like Windows 10 bookmark syncing. chrome does it in seconds. Edge can take days or weeks. It still does years later.

The recent addition of an equalizer to Groove that is considered a basic option that's been requested since day one several years ago was JUST added. Many basic feature for many apps have been suggested in heir Feedback Hub and nothing's really been done to address major concerns.

Maybe they will be implemented 20 years later like that recent really old Office bug recently patched.

So yeah, I've really lost a lot of confidence in MS.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
It is Microsoft's fault they failed to counter Google services.They failed to bring alternative to chrome books.and the biggest defeat is their failure to produce successful mobile os.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I think everyone makes good points but we have to remember that all are businesses and are in competition with one another. It's nice to romanticize Google and how it appears to be a friend to mankind, but they are a business and like all businesses they are out to maximize profits. If these companies didn't have competitors they would not be worried about looking like your friend and would jack their prices up as high as they could. It's actually good for even the haters of other platforms that these competitions exist. So whether your favorite is MS or something else remember if the competition goes out of business it may not necessarily be a good thing for YOU. lol

I have been watching the war being fought for the hearts and minds of consumers in public forums, for anyone paying attention this seems to be where a huge part of the battle for modern technology popularity is fought. When I was a kid in the 70's and 80's things that were popular consumer products were shifting from "Word of Mouth" to "TV Commercials" and by the time the 90's hit TV commercials seemed to trump word of mouth in many instances. But with the advancement of the internet and people not watching commercials anymore these days the shift has gone back to word of mouth, but now it is supercharged with social media and forums like this one.

It seems that some companies caught on to this trend sooner and have been solidifying their places in the market, but other companies who were very well off and did not feel threatened did not feel the sense of urgency they should have and have fallen behind, not that these companies don't make good products, but their skills in fighting this kind of battle will have to sharpen as they make the shift.

So I think it's entirely possible for MS to reclaim their position, but they are going to have to play smart. Which I think they probably are. Right now as a company they are vulnerable in the public opinion area, so it would seem that they need to make every move count from here forward. However looks can be deceiving, they have been doing a lot of jockeying lately allowing Android stuff in their stores, its almost like they are forging an alliance with Google and may have more plans than we know of in this area. So if MS is agreeing to carry and produce for android, what is the other company agreeing to as an exchange? What is their strategy?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Don't misunderstand me, I use Android phones and Chromebooks. But this reeks of cost-cutting in a major fashion by a cash-strapped municipality. Chromebooks are cheaper than all but a few disposable laptops. Google Docs is free and Office365 is not. Individually it may be peanuts but when you factor in the number of users, it adds up.

Exactly their game plan I believe.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It is Microsoft's fault they failed to counter Google services.They failed to bring alternative to chrome books.and the biggest defeat is their failure to produce successful mobile os.
Apple has zero services and they've done quite alright for themselves. By using Google instead of their own in-house products you could argue they were complicit. Microsoft didn't have to counter Google services, Google countered Microsoft. The Office suite was around a lot longer before Google Docs, Slides or Sheets.

As for Chromebooks, the idea behind RT was the same. The problem was consumers being too lazy or too stupid to educate themselves and know the difference between RT and PCs.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I do think the danger of users growing up with an Android device is that people will use the built-in Google services and therefore over time Microsoft will become less used and less relevant. It will be interesting to look back in 20 years and see how things unfolded and whether their business focus today is the right one.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it is going to take anywhere near ten years. I would imagine that within five Microsoft will be talked about in the same terms as Blackberry don't forget that much of the footprint they have is because of legacy products already in the marketplace.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
Apple has zero services and they've done quite alright for themselves. By using Google instead of their own in-house products you could argue they were complicit. Microsoft didn't have to counter Google services, Google countered Microsoft. The Office suite was around a lot longer before Google Docs, Slides or Sheets.

As for Chromebooks, the idea behind RT was the same. The problem was consumers being too lazy or too stupid to educate themselves and know the difference between RT and PCs.
Agree but apple sells their software through their own hardware.they already have loyal userbase which are already invested deeply in their ecosystem.
today what I see daily lots of new users for whom web=google.which is not a good news for Microsoft.
Windows rt became victim of negative perception by media and Microsoft's lack of planning. There were no affordable small tablets or affordable laptops running Windows rt at that time.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
With the "consumerization" of IT and increasingly prevalent BYOB I expect MS to be put on the back foot ever so gradually as the wind and water of competing experiences attempt to wear away the mountain that is desktop Windows. Except they're working hard to make their services accessible, so that could be a saving grace depending.

3165dwayne

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, it is smart and effective. Google is no slouch when it comes to software and those Chromebooks are quick on cheap hardware and do what they are meant to. Microsoft is in deep dodo if they aren't more wary.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for chiming in!

Show me any cash rich municipality ....

They are paying Google - it is branded.

I am SURE it is cheaper than MS, but does that make a difference?

Are Google services superior, inferior or the same as MS?

What do you think?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

I don't think you can blame the consumer - they went for what they understood. The understood Chrome. If MS did a better marketing job - maybe RT would be there.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you can blame the consumer - they went for what they understood. The understood Chrome. If MS did a better marketing job - maybe RT would be there.
Yes you can. The landscape was littered in the 80s with people who bought Hyundais thinking they were Hondas.

Canjok

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Windows isn't really an operating system of choice for the majority. It just has the same bugs as ever. They have to change the system completely e.g. no .exe, new file explorer etc. But without the .exe there isn't any reason to use Windows as there is again the App problem known of Windows Mobile or Windows RT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3