Are you still buying W10M apps?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Until one day them apps (if not UWP) just goes poof! So then "making use" becomes "less useful". It's not a matter of "if" but "when" and just another pitfall of the platforms decline.
There's one thing that I haven't read anywhere that concerns me. Are present UWP apps going to be backward compatible with whatever Andromeda brings? This goes for PWAs too. Will Edge Mobile have the capability to run them? I've read that most of the upcoming apps and features will be for Redstone 4 & 5 which is why the Photos app went sideways and subsequently reverted to the previous version of Mobile.

If this is the case then landfills across the world will be overrun.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
There's one thing that I haven't read anywhere that concerns me. Are present UWP apps going to be backward compatible with whatever Andromeda brings? This goes for PWAs too. Will Edge Mobile have the capability to run them? I've read that most of the upcoming apps and features will be for Redstone 4 & 5 which is why the Photos app went sideways and subsequently reverted to the previous version of Mobile.

If this is the case then landfills across the world will be overrun.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

Good question(s). Never thought of it myself but just about at the end of my rope with "anything" Windows so that's probably why :winktongue:

Doug_M

May 27, 2017
Visit site
Absolutely! People have become so cheap in the modern era of smart phones. If an app has the functionality I want I buy it. Don't care if it is 1 dollar or 10. As a failed mobile app developer, lol, I can attest to the fact that ad revenue for most apps is almost nothing. If you want apps on your platform buy them. And yes I'm aware W10M is fading away. So what. Just bought Tweet It! because I recently came back to W10M (with a new 930) and needed a Twitter client with Tweet Marker built-in. Cost me $8CDN and I didn't hesitate.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Absolutely! People have become so cheap in the modern era of smart phones. If an app has the functionality I want I buy it. Don't care if it is 1 dollar or 10. As a failed mobile app developer, lol, I can attest to the fact that ad revenue for most apps is almost nothing. If you want apps on your platform buy them. And yes I'm aware W10M is fading away. So what. Just bought Tweet It! because I recently came back to W10M (with a new 930) and needed a Twitter client with Tweet Marker built-in. Cost me $8CDN and I didn't hesitate.

Not quite sure what the intent of inputting your comment in this thread was as I'm sure many are aware of those who chose not to purchase apps on platforms in general. There's an obvious difference though when speaking Windows Phone TODAY. How many times have we heard about or personally experienced "here today gone tomorrow" in regards app? I'd say it's been far too many and will only get worse so see nothing wrong with those not willing to dole out for an app that may or may not be there for them tomorrow.

I've purchased many apps ($ CND) over the past few years myself (other platforms), enough so I could probably buy a lightly used flagship of today's standards, and they are still in use today. Purchased apps on Windows Phone too but think I have approx three that are left still functioning out of the many that I had bought. Some install but are crippled with most not installing at all. So if I don't purchase another app on the Windows Phone platform am I being cheap or proactive?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Not quite sure what the intent of inputting your comment in this thread was as I'm sure many are aware of those who chose not to purchase apps on platforms in general. There's an obvious difference though when speaking Windows Phone TODAY. How many times have we heard about or personally experienced "here today gone tomorrow" in regards app? I'd say it's been far too many and will only get worse so see nothing wrong with those not willing to dole out for an app that may or may not be there for them tomorrow.

I've purchased many apps ($ CND) over the past few years myself (other platforms), enough so I could probably buy a lightly used flagship of today's standards, and they are still in use today. Purchased apps on Windows Phone too but think I have approx three that are left still functioning out of the many that I had bought. Some install but are crippled with most not installing at all. So if I don't purchase another app on the Windows Phone platform am I being cheap or proactive?

Well said.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Well said.

I think you can be both - cheap and proactive.

If an app is $0.99 and it is gone tomorrow - you have lost $0.99.
And you can check ratings of apps.

If I bought a $1000 phone before MS announced they were killing W10m, I would be a little more pissed off...

Questions: If W10m had a robust marketplace with developer making reliable and quality apps - think W10m would still be around?

Thanks for your comments!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon