Future of windows phone

WPuser2012

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Is there any future left for us who are using Windows phones ?,

Windows Phone internals gave some little hope but do you guys think can

we survive with this O.S ? I am still using 950XL. But the O.S future looks

questionable. what are your thoughts ? Is it worth to hang on with existing phones until Surface phone comes out ? do anyone think Microsoft is going to support mobile ?

dustkicka

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Is there any future left for us who are using Windows phones ?,

Windows Phone internals gave some little hope but do you guys think can

we survive with this O.S ? I am still using 950XL. But the O.S future looks

questionable. what are your thoughts ? Is it worth to hang on with existing phones until Surface phone comes out ? do anyone think Microsoft is going to support mobile ?
Their dev tools suggest wm10 has some future. Exactly what. Who knows

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I love the UI, best mobile platform in my opinion in terms of ecosystem, it's just the CEO's head is too much in the clouds to see it, there's no reason to stop development of W10M,let alone leave markets where there was good numbers of iPhone because you're not hitting home (USA) with those same numbers, put effort into your own OS and you'll come out great no doubt. There's talk of win 10 on ARM for smaller devices but it's no excuse to totally pull plug on w10m , mobile is crucial for development of your own ecosystem. Time will tell

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Personally, these kind of questions don't even cross my mind any more. You know the old adage "actions speak louder than words". Well due to MSFT's actions, or lack thereof, over the past few years I've lost all confidence in their abilities, Mobile AND PC. Even if they came out with something earth-shattering that looked to be the be-all and end-all on the mobility front it would take several years before they'd regain my trust/confidence again (if ever).

The thing is, there is a lot of talk and speculation on this subject floating around but it means absolutely nothing in the REAL sense if MSFT continues their wayward ways. I'm pretty confident in saying the only assured thing right now (today) is that it will only get worse. Another apps demise is all it takes for that to be true.

Worth hanging on? Only "YOU" as an individual can answer that question. Does it suffice for your needs at the present time, are you happy enough using it? If you are hanging on based on talk and speculation then IMHO you are cheating yourself because nobody actually knows, doubting MSFT does either. So do whatever feels right for YOU and not because of what others think.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I love the UI, best mobile platform in my opinion in terms of ecosystem, it's just the CEO's head is too much in the clouds to see it, there's no reason to stop development of W10M,let alone leave markets where there was good numbers of iPhone because you're not hitting home (USA) with those same numbers, put effort into your own OS and you'll come out great no doubt. There's talk of win 10 on ARM for smaller devices but it's no excuse to totally pull plug on w10m , mobile is crucial for development of your own ecosystem. Time will tell

Windows 10 mobile is closed source and has no api to create great themes and UI. Android on the other hand is open source and lets you do anything. So when you look at some of the android UI's out there, including windows themes that change everything even settings and add live tiles, you realize that windows 10 just can't win based on UI alone.

original.jpg

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using 950 XL, but as far as my future goes, I am researching iOS and Android options and trying to find a phone with a good camera. I don't need a "flagship," just a good camera. I also want something that will integrate with my PC as much as possible. I'm beginning to think Android with the Windows launcher is currently my best bet.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile is closed source and has no api to create great themes and UI. Android on the other hand is open source and lets you do anything. So when you look at some of the android UI's out there, including windows themes that change everything even settings and add live tiles, you realize that windows 10 just can't win based on UI alone.

View attachment 138616

What is interesting is that Windows 10 is not trying to compete. There is no need to win when the UI/UX is their creation. So much so that even it is popular in the Android store and devices...
If iOS had this theme availble to install, it too would get some love. So in my opinion Windows 10 Mobile won that aspect long ago. No need to re-compete in the UI department...
@WPuser2012, Windows phones have a future if you have a future with them, plain and simple. Still using one and will so until the OS is complete eradicated, which could be a while.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No, other than bug fixes and security patches for devices that are on the creators update, fall creators update or anniversay update there will be no more features.

Windows Phone code has been merged into the Windows Core, therefore Windows 10 on ARM is an extension of Windows on desktop and Phones - simplest way to look at it.

So if you want to keep using Windows Phone, you can do so.

Also HeathCliff74 from XDA has released the updated version of his "Windows Phone internals" tool so you could flash a rom from a supported device on a older phone that is compatible so the use of this tool is at your own risk.

If you flash an incompatabile rom then you will more than likely will end up with a useless paperweight.

www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-internals-23-released-unlocks-bootloader-any-lumia

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
What is interesting is that Windows 10 is not trying to compete. There is no need to win when the UI/UX is their creation. So much so that even it is popular in the Android store and devices...
If iOS had this theme availble to install, it too would get some love. So in my opinion Windows 10 Mobile won that aspect long ago. No need to re-compete in the UI department...
@WPuser2012, Windows phones have a future if you have a future with them, plain and simple. Still using one and will so until the OS is complete eradicated, which could be a while.

The whole point is that you are stuck with windows tiles for windows phone. In fact, many people I know think they are dull. Even people who use windows 10 desktop complain about them. They are outdated to a lot of people including me. So it's a niche audience. Android on the other hand is so customizable it can fill EVERY NICHE. There is nothing you can't do on android. So this allows for a broader audience vs. just the windows fans.

OEMs can't even distinguish themselves because MS doesn't have a good themeing implementation.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The whole point is that you are stuck with windows tiles for windows phone. In fact, many people I know think they are dull. Even people who use windows 10 desktop complain about them. They are outdated to a lot of people including me. So it's a niche audience. Android on the other hand is so customizable it can fill EVERY NICHE. There is nothing you can't do on android. So this allows for a broader audience vs. just the windows fans.

OEMs can't even distinguish themselves because MS doesn't have a good themeing implementation.

You're conflating two things, the start screen and interaction method

Live tiles are not dull, who ever thinks live tiles are dull either has not lived during the 90s or has a very short attention span.

People do not remember ios did not have copy and paste, did not have the webos card style multi tasking, it had a moronic task manager where double tapping the home button opened up a horizontal list of icons that wiggled.

As a 29 year old who has lived through the progression of 3210 and monophonic tones to colour screens and polyphonic tones, mp3 players, 64 megabyte usb sticks, floppy disks, 100 mhz pcs and pcs with 1.6 megabytes of ram, crt monitors, push button tvs, wind up radios, dial up and so on.

Icons are dull.

Icons have not progressed at all from the original xerox UX.

The customisations of Android you are refering is the interactions between the user and o/s however the primary base of ios and Android is still icons. That is not my opinion, it's just fact.

Live tiles are leaps and bounds better than Icons as there is no progression path beyond a snippet of notification and notification indicator + number of notifications.

Which is why Apple added widgets.

The only way Google and Apple will over come the limitation of Icons is by embracing a gesture based UX (case in point the gesture based iphone x) and for that to happen AR and VR will have to pick up in a big way.

What let Live tiles down is messaging towards developers, I recall seeing a developer from Microsoft show casing mix view and he said I quote "with mix view I don't have to bother opening up the app" which is the most idiotic thing to say.

Why would you want to develop an app if people aren't going to bother opening up the app?

Either way to assert Live tiles are dull as fact is simply does not take in to fact there has no shift or progression from icons from 1973 or so.

Let that sink in, 1973.

45 years and there has been no change.

So yes, Icons are outdated by almost 50 years.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The whole point is that you are stuck with windows tiles for windows phone. In fact, many people I know think they are dull. Even people who use windows 10 desktop complain about them. They are outdated to a lot of people including me. So it's a niche audience.

This was me. I had reasons for liking and using Windows Phone, but I used it in spite of the Live Tiles. I didn't really like them. I felt like they were an inefficient use of valuable limited real estate. However, had they worked better, and were interactive like Android widgets, that would have helped immensely.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I honestly think that the longer that Nadella controls the company the less usable Microsoft product you will see for business or consumers. He simply isn't interested in competing in the device or operating system space.

With every passing year, Windows is losing market share and it's naïve to believe that a generation raised on android/chrome/iOS will suddenly adopt the Windows platform when they are decision makers in the workforce.

But the stock options are doing well, who cares about the future... i

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Yet theming is only one aspect of what makes a device a smartphone

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This was me. I had reasons for liking and using Windows Phone, but I used it in spite of the Live Tiles. I didn't really like them. I felt like they were an inefficient use of valuable limited real estate. However, had they worked better, and were interactive like Android widgets, that would have helped immensely.

That is a good point. They almost had something going with the McLaren and chasing tiles. But of course like the path Windows 10 mobile is heading towards, there is not enough room to invest in those features. W10M has served most of its purpose I assume, now we just wait to see if Microsoft challenges themselves to go at it again...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
You're conflating two things, the start screen and interaction method

Live tiles are not dull, who ever thinks live tiles are dull either has not lived during the 90s or has a very short attention span.

People do not remember ios did not have copy and paste, did not have the webos card style multi tasking, it had a moronic task manager where double tapping the home button opened up a horizontal list of icons that wiggled.

As a 29 year old who has lived through the progression of 3210 and monophonic tones to colour screens and polyphonic tones, mp3 players, 64 megabyte usb sticks, floppy disks, 100 mhz pcs and pcs with 1.6 megabytes of ram, crt monitors, push button tvs, wind up radios, dial up and so on.

Icons are dull.

Icons have not progressed at all from the original xerox UX.

The customisations of Android you are refering is the interactions between the user and o/s however the primary base of ios and Android is still icons. That is not my opinion, it's just fact.

Live tiles are leaps and bounds better than Icons as there is no progression path beyond a snippet of notification and notification indicator + number of notifications.

Which is why Apple added widgets.

The only way Google and Apple will over come the limitation of Icons is by embracing a gesture based UX (case in point the gesture based iphone x) and for that to happen AR and VR will have to pick up in a big way.

What let Live tiles down is messaging towards developers, I recall seeing a developer from Microsoft show casing mix view and he said I quote "with mix view I don't have to bother opening up the app" which is the most idiotic thing to say.

Why would you want to develop an app if people aren't going to bother opening up the app?

Either way to assert Live tiles are dull as fact is simply does not take in to fact there has no shift or progression from icons from 1973 or so.

Let that sink in, 1973.

45 years and there has been no change.

So yes, Icons are outdated by almost 50 years.

I think that material design icons of newer Android versions look great. They add some depth to the icons and make them easy to find. Tiles are like looking at an advertisement page in a newspaper. I find it hard to find things sometimes and am forced to turn off live tiles and try to keep things monotone. And when you keep things monotone you are simply seeing white icons with white text. Why do you think people love the transparency feature on the windows phones? It adds a bit of depth to the flat design. Tiles could be made better and have a lot of room for customization from icon sets to even different shaped tiles. Ms could create something that allows real themes to be applied with one click from the store. And there could be paid licensed themes and user themes.

See the problem is that windows actually has an amazing notification center it makes live tiles completely useless. I pull down the action center and have all my information nicely categorized by app. Widgets aren't even that popular in android and my own anectodal experience is that people on ios that i know don't care for them. Again this is my own experience. Just like you have your own views on tiles.

I remember tiles very well from those days of free AOL discs.

untitled.png

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I think that material design icons of newer Android versions look great. They add some depth to the icons and make them easy to find. Tiles are like looking at an advertisement page in a newspaper. I find it hard to find things sometimes and am forced to turn off live tiles and try to keep things monotone. And when you keep things monotone you are simply seeing white icons with white text. Why do you think people love the transparency feature on the windows phones? It adds a bit of depth to the flat design. Tiles could be made better and have a lot of room for customization from icon sets to even different shaped tiles. Ms could create something that allows real themes to be applied with one click from the store. And there could be paid licensed themes and user themes.

See the problem is that windows actually has an amazing notification center it makes live tiles completely useless. I pull down the action center and have all my information nicely categorized by app. Widgets aren't even that popular in android and my own anectodal experience is that people on ios that i know don't care for them. Again this is my own experience. Just like you have your own views on tiles.

I remember tiles very well from those days of free AOL discs.

View attachment 138625

Strange, I look at my Windows 10 Mobile screens and they look nothing like that. Neither does any of my Windows 10 Pro computers. Guess you must be mistaken.

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
"it makes live tiles completely useless"??????????
Live tiles are unique, functional, beautiful and mesmerizing. My grandchildren love their iPhones but always ask to look my L830 screen to watch the tiles change. Especially the News, Photos and Weather tiles which give the most vivid examples of that uniqueness. And always say they wish their iPhones and iPads could do that. If a 4 year old Lumia phone can do that Live Tiles must surely be something very special.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Got tired of flipping and flopping tile's myself.

I had a bigger issue with them not being interactive. They are actually quite dumb. They don't show relevant data much. And when you tap a Live Tile to open the app, they do just that; open the app. They should open the app directly to what is showing on the tile.

I guess I was spoiled by Android widgets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism