So I have wondered about this for a while and have heard different people say different things. I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to make a difference, lol.

So far we have had phone whose hardware I was told was not capable of running full Windows without severe issues.

So I guess my question is this:

If a hardware oriented company wanted to, could they produce a device running a full version of windows, or is there some restriction legally or otherwise that prevents them from giving us what we want? I understand that screen size and scaling would be difficult, but is it possible to get the Telephone and SMS in the full version of windows to work if there was a sim card on the system?
    01-23-2018 08:45 PM
    It’s possible with enough work and I’m pretty sure it’s been done before but it’s ultimately not the most practical for a phone.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    01-23-2018 09:12 PM
    But the negative results are just the way it presents on a screen that size? I mean that's what I am taking away from everything I am reading. So people say full windows on a phone is impractical, are they just really saying that because Microsoft hasn't provided the proper layout for a small screen option?

Sorry, I am just trying to understand what we are waiting for in a new device. I hope Microsoft actually knows many people are hoping for something that can actually simplify our lives like a mobile device that can do everything our laptop can do. I am just tired of lugging around multiple things.
    01-24-2018 03:09 PM
    Historically companies had to do some work to make cellular telephony and whatnot work properly. I know the Messaging app, at least at one point, was receiving only so LTE-enabled devices could receive carrier texts but that was it.

Desktop Windows has a massive footprint (minimum requirements + breathing space can add up to over 30 GB) and so much more moving “parts” than a traditional smartphone.

People typically want their phones to have as little downtime as possible and getting updated, when updates are available, is fairly simple on iOS and Android. Windows takes a lot longer for feature updates, etc. and might not be tolerable for some.

There will be much more overhead as well - an antivirus, search indexer, etc depending on what you use.

The apps aren’t there anyway. Having Visio or Steam on a phone would be pretty nifty but you won’t get countless mobile apps that I do use when out and about. Not many would be willing to kneecap their phone that much and you’ll still need multiple things like a lapdock to truly make use of your phone’s strengths while without such support hardware, it could very well be less suited for daily phone tasks than a Windows Phone as we know it.
    01-24-2018 08:30 PM
    Historically companies had to do some work to make cellular telephony and whatnot work properly. I know the Messaging app, at least at one point, was receiving only so LTE-enabled devices could receive carrier texts but that was it.

Desktop Windows has a massive footprint (minimum requirements + breathing space can add up to over 30 GB) and so much more moving “parts” than a traditional smartphone.

People typically want their phones to have as little downtime as possible and getting updated, when updates are available, is fairly simple on iOS and Android. Windows takes a lot longer for feature updates, etc. and might not be tolerable for some.

There will be much more overhead as well - an antivirus, search indexer, etc depending on what you use.

The apps aren’t there anyway. Having Visio or Steam on a phone would be pretty nifty but you won’t get countless mobile apps that I do use when out and about. Not many would be willing to kneecap their phone that much and you’ll still need multiple things like a lapdock to truly make use of your phone’s strengths while without such support hardware, it could very well be less suited for daily phone tasks than a Windows Phone as we know it.
    I get what your saying with more overhead, but with apps, weren't they developed for phones to be less resource consuming and not dependent on a web browser because phones couldn't run a full web browser?

I have tended to use my browser a lot, I use very few "apps" as it is and would prefer a device with full windows running on it. I like the idea that I could access my Samba shares on my server and copy a file or folder to my phone without the hassles I have now... and burn cd's etc., etc.
    01-25-2018 06:08 AM
    Not only is it possible, it's easy. With T-Mobile Digits and an LTE-equipped tablet or laptop you can have a ginormous phone to put up to your head for phone calls and subject yourself to the sincerest form of ridicule.

All bulls**t aside, there is a Digits app for PC that you download and your x86 device becomes voice/SMS capable. I did it with a Surface 3 LTE and it works just fine as long as you hide in a closet away from public view.
    digitaldd likes this.
    01-25-2018 01:22 PM