What we already knew is now official

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Hmmmm... "The company did originally state that more Mobile builds would be coming, but when asked if this was still happening, Jason Howard, senior program manager on the Windows Insider Team, said "Plans change. Such is the nature of things."... Now that's a real surprise coming from MSFT :winktongue:

"Microsoft will continue to service Windows 10 Mobile with monthly security updates"... Yeah OK.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
It's a dead end. Why should you invest resources in something that's irrelevant? I tend to view this more as a sign that they are almost ready with Andromeda.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I tend to view this more as a sign that they are almost ready with Andromeda.

If Microsoft actually delivers that would be great but if their past history is telling it'll be the same old. Personally feel this is going to fade into the distance like all their other GREAT ideas due to lack of substance.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Why can't MS officially announce this - why a tweet from non MS account?
Yes, we sort all knew...but through the grapevine.
Why can't MS make the official statement?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

I gave up trying to figure out Microsoft and their ways. Just what happened (or DID NOT happen) w/Windows Phone over the past 3-years was enough for me to start looking the other way.

And as for Brandon's tweet "You won't see us talk about product strategy or comment on those things". Makes one wonder if they even have a strategy, other than the norm of pulling out the guillotine that is LOL.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame. What a lovely OS, what great hardware. If the very first round of people buying Windows Phones would have had their apps, the number would have grown exponentially by now. In the very first year itself, if we had apps like Insta, Snapchat and Flipboard to say the least, we would be in a very good (at least a decent) position right now.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I think we can look at this from a different angle. Prior to Windows 10, beta values were only released till the RTM was rolled out. After that, only security updates were rolled out every Tuesday. This happened with every version of Windows like W7, W8 & WVista. We can consider W10M to be in that stage.

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
They did the same thing for Windows RT, some PM at MS made a statement on a forum that RT would not go forward.

Microsoft almost never announces a product is dead until long after it's death. They let bad news leak and if the MS PR team does not counter the news you know it is an official leak. Articles like ones about Gates and Nadella no longer using Windows phones, and their major reference customer moving to a new platform. Then the seemingly random negative posts by a VP from the major OEM and head of the MS Mobile unit. If any of these were wrong the MS PR machine would have been in high gear countering the messages. Instead MS was very silent.

DjeTe

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Went out of the insider program last summer so when everything already was dead. Still using the L950 so it's still working for me. Shame for such a good OS (and of course could have been better) And as Zac said yesterday, maybe I can hold on and wait for the Andromeda thing.

michael rau

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Sad that they didn't just announce to everyone that this program is sunset and the new os insider program will start when the reference devices launch. But leaving everyone in the dark is microsofts way even when it destroys consumer and developer confidence

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Wow, beating a dead horse much? Still asking us? Want to provoke WM fans and then when we answer with emotion and the truth we are told how crazy we are? Somewhat ridiculous no?

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been on Android as a daily driver for almost two years now. I saw the writing on the wall a long time ago, but I kept a Windows Phone/Mobile device around because I could - first a Lumia 640 that was upgraded to Win10M, then later an Alcatel Idol 4s that I picked up for a steal.

What amazes me about Microsoft is just what a horrible job they've done with transitioning their users to new mobile centric platforms. Especially since in the 1990's/very early 2000's Microsoft was able to manage a high level of app compatibility and ultimately a transition and unification between DOS/DOS extender + Win 16 (Win 3.x)/DOS Extender + Win32 (Win 9x) and WinNT systems. These two paths were based on completely different underlying kernels but a mostly common higher level API. Yes it was messy and more complicated than ideal, but in the end it worked and got everyone on board together with Windows XP. Now Microsoft is unable to manage a transition between Win10M and whatever their "mobile focused" Win10 OS will be despite being based on essentially the same kernel and nearly identical APIs.

Lordtree

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Naturally I will still use my Windows Phone device as well as all my family. It is this over reacting of Zac and co. That has damaged even further on the damage to Windows Mobile. With their speculations on various times just to up their readership they also contributed to the demise.
Windows Phone has been killed several times. 8.1 for denim and then w10m all left behind broken promises of continued support.
On my part looking at Microsoft lack of care for their supporters won't buy any Microsoft product in the future. The band, Lumia, and all they touched was eventually killed on arrival. I will use my phone until something comparable in camera comes my way certainly not a Microsoft out Windows device

Rudd van Deventer1

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
moved to Android about a year ago when my 930 battery got wasted. I have never understood why MS have not made agreements with other manufacturers to provide root kits for selected devices.
This would have kept 10 mobile in the game and be very close to their PC strategy.
Now Mobile is just a dead end. Makes one wonder if you can buy any hardware from MS that lasts more than two years?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss