What we already knew is now official

hamphlet

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
It's a dead end. Why should you invest resources in something that's irrelevant? I tend to view this more as a sign that they are almost ready with Andromeda.

I view it as a sign that a mobile platform, that most of us recognized as being dead at least two years ago, has now finally croaked.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
It's a shame. What a lovely OS, what great hardware. If the very first round of people buying Windows Phones would have had their apps, the number would have grown exponentially by now. In the very first year itself, if we had apps like Insta, Snapchat and Flipboard to say the least, we would be in a very good (at least a decent) position right now.

I'm not actually that bitter about it, yes I still have my Lumia 950XL and I do use it to sync my Fitbit Blaze among other things and I'll keep using it until it's no longer usable and falling apart but I have moved on and use a Nexus 5x as my main device now connect to my Surface Pro 4. I do miss the close integration that Windows 10 Mobile had though although some of that is in Cortana for Android :cry::straight::smile:

Riopato

May 11, 2013
Visit site
If MS is ending the insider build for mobile, why not release the final build for all mobile devices? Does this mean users that's still using their Windows 10 mobile phone need to stay on the insider preview? Does this mean we are all stuck in beta limbo? A little finality would show some respect to those who stayed Microsoft.

Ameet Narayan

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
It died the day it was moved to feature 2 branch, the tech world called it dead, Brandon Le Blanc came out in defence and called it false rumours. Well not so false after all.
I am disappointed to say the least but FFS I would have been happier if they had at least finished the development for Mobile and then shifted to maintenance mode. Mobile is just an incomplete mess that got abandoned. App developers are just not interested.
Hopefully the new device category is better in relation to Mobile. Hardware and software wise.

MrCode2k

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
After careful consideration, this weekend I purchased an iPhone. After being given a full credit for my 950 by Microsoft. I loved the Windows Mobile OS and even consider waiting for the Galaxy 9, so I could use the launcher but realized that I was just fooling myself because Microsoft is not committed to the consumer and they will probably drop the launcher or totally bastardize the app the same way they did with Skype. So, I'm done going from disappointment to more disappointments. The band, lumia, skype, outlook.com, universal apps and Cortana they all had or have great potential but it seems Microsoft always shifts focus and abandons their products. Therefore becoming second or third class citizens products or service, compare to their competitors. Going forward, I will not be looking to use Microsoft products or services. Until, I'm convince they are committed to it and it's actually a first class citizen product or service.

Dave Sloan

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Just disappointed. We have 3 consoles, Switch, PS4 and Xbox. Why can't we have 3 phone OS's. I would have happily updated my 950, now I will have to settled for a MS launcher

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I feel like a fool, at work....i was the only one using a Windows phone, and kept telling everyone that it wasn't dead. I kept hoping and hoping; i proudly displayed my ATIV SE, and my 830, then my 950 XL...everyone was actually impressed with the pictures these phone took. But the continuous stream (torrent!) of bad news...i told them not to believe it; that 'we' would survive...boy was i wrong....

toshdellapenna

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Having used every variation of Windows on mobile since 2003, the sheer pace at which they're washing their hands of mobile is rather peculiar. I'm certainly glad that Windows is finally on track to becoming one OS across all device types as I prefer a pocket pc with the ability to make calls when needed. What's strange to me is that in the past they always had the successor to the platform they were retiring ready, announced and on hardware for sale before sunsetting the old platform.

The way they are going about things now is nowhere near the way it was in the past and just seems awfully strange. They could have at the very least been more transparent with Insiders and actually kept us somewhat on the "inside" with regards to the roadmap, rather than being cagey and outright lying to us just to lead us along. I know for me that I'm not going anywhere and will never use a non Microsoft OS on any of my devices, but that doesn't mean that they aren't hurting less loyal customers through their actions.

nazim elverdi

Sep 11, 2017
Visit site
I thnik thare has two possibility to do like this decision;

1. Microsoft made Windows 10 on Arm with Andromeda base and they won't be need mobile anymore. Because They already published another update for Windows 10 insider. This means Insider program is continue but they no need mobile.

2. As Nadella said why the World needs 3.OS in the phone market ( I don't say mobile because mobile doesn't cover just phone)

My opinion It should to be first one….

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
We just need to take what MS says and flip it to get the truth. Yes, I still use a Windows phone and I am happy to do so. It meets my needs but obviously everyone is different.

It is a shame that there will be no more Insider builds. There was a great community of Insiders on here and it was cool once to have the latest version of Windows Mobile before everyone as well.

But time change and the masses have spoken. Nobody wants Windows Phone. Not even Microsoft. I don't think the Andromeda or Surface Phone will be released either. If it is, it's just going to be doomed to the same mistakes as Windows Phone (e.g. launch in all two markets) because Microsoft never learn.

I understand the hurt and betrayal people feel when they buy an MS product but the fault is with MS. In saying that though, we all love a good underdog. It could be fifth time lucky for Microsoft if they do launch something in the mobile space and maybe Satya Nadella, for all the times everyone hates him, may actually surprise us all by actually giving us a new Microsoft mobile device that actually does survive.

It could happen. But it probably won't.

It's been a great ride though and I will stick with my X3 come rain or shine.

DeltaHotel

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Fire the liars "If your phone is sold with Windows 10 then it will receive all updates". If Satya Nadella remains as CEO then I will never spend another penny on Microsoft. I work in computer support and am very well versed in the competition. **** off your clientele and you will lose revenue. What kind of business sense does it make to purchase a mobile device and then lose money in its sale when you decide to throw in the towel? Stock owners should be furious.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Huh? Stock owners should be very happy. Mobile in its current state is a field where Microsoft was never going to win.

Microsoft is doing the right thing; working on the next big thing.

Working on the next big thing by blowing up what you already had for the last 8 years. Smart. Very smart indeed.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
As an example of how little MS care about W10M, on W10M right now, in the Store, there is the 'Edge extensions' section, like on desktop Windows 10.

Pity none of the extensions listed actually work on mobile! So, not sure why it was added? I guess it's the UWP platform talking. Sad really. I would have liked an Ad Blocker for Edge on W10M.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I'd love to just have a browser that works decently on W10M let alone an AD Blocker. Considering the 950s specs the browsing experience on it is pretty bad in my opinion, very slow and unpredictable. Similar experiences on our 650/830 which one would somewhat expect considering their specs. All in all this aspect really dampens the phone's usability for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2