Windows phone for 5yrs and still???

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This thread has been moved to an appropriate forum...
As per this advice: Who Should Post in Ask a Question? WC members are free to post in all areas of the board. Please use Ask a Question only for time critical help issues that affect the immediate functionality of your device.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Going on 5 years. Wikipedia says the Lumia 521 was released in late April 2013, but I thought I bought it in early February. Then 925, 1520.3, 950XL for myself and L635s, L640s, 950XL, Idol 4Ss for family and friends.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 925 purchased in 2013 still working.
Battery lasts around 4 to 5 hours with constant use. Idle time is a tad over a day.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
My WP journey started with the launch of the Lumia 800. Then upgraded to the 920 when it launched and then the 950. I switched to iOS last winter but am anxiously awaiting the return with Andromeda.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the current iteration of Windows Phone/Windows Mobile (NT kernal) since November 2012 with L920 however my windows mobile journey started approximately 16 years ago with a candy bar phone running windows ce. It's UX was pretty woeful but it had a trackpoint and a full xp era start screen but then it stopped working but couldn't find a replacement. Since then I've used many phones and nothing comes close to in terms of UX potential to Windows Phone.

Out of the many phones I've had over the years I still have my E61, HTC Touch Pro 2, Samungs Omnia Pro B7610, the monochrome Nokia 3510, Sendo M550, Blackberry 8520, Lumia 920 and currently using a L930 with my old L930 as a audiobook / media player.

I started using phones when we used to save work on floppy disks and I'm 29 now to provide the context how fast we gotten to a point where a usb the save of 2 pence coin has the storage capacity of 64 Gigs and yet Icons have remained stagnant since the days of the Xerox Alto (1973).

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm still using "a" Windows Phone on rare occasions, started back in 2012 with the Ativ S. Presently own the 830, 650 and 950 with the latter seeing the most use out of the three. Sold off our Ativ S and 1020 a couple of years ago but wish I had hung onto the 1020.

Love the physical look and feel of my 950 (with case we've chosen), the appearance of the tiles, and its camera. After that though it kinda falls apart due to the lack of the OS's fluidity as it feels like we are thrown back into the pre-2012 era.

My primary go-to OS for the past 3+ has been Android, no regrets.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I'm still using "a" Windows Phone on rare occasions, started back in 2012 with the Ativ S. Presently own the 830, 650 and 950 with the latter seeing the most use out of the three. Sold off our Ativ S and 1020 a couple of years ago but wish I had hung onto the 1020.

Love the physical look and feel of my 950 (with case we've chosen), the appearance of the tiles, and its camera. After that though it kinda falls apart due to the lack of the OS's fluidity as it feels like we are thrown back into the pre-2012 era.

My primary go-to OS for the past 3+ has been Android, no regrets.

Wow - ATIV S: such great memories! This was my first Windows phone, after i moved on from iPhone 3 and 4. I absolutley loved this phone! Such a great screen compared to my iPhones. Then i moved on to the even more powerful ATIV SE; amazing phone! So ahead of it's time; so under rated and unappreciated. I still have these on my shelf, along with my 950 XL (which is an amazing piece of hardware!). So sad that the software didn't keep up....oh what could have been....

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Still have 640XL which was a great device. But this thread is meaningless because it depends what you you mean by "using" and "working". No features and No apps on this dead platform, so the phone turns on...

Sent from mTalk

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Wow - ATIV S: such great memories! This was my first Windows phone, after i moved on from iPhone 3 and 4. I absolutley loved this phone! Such a great screen compared to my iPhones. Then i moved on to the even more powerful ATIV SE; amazing phone! So ahead of it's time; so under rated and unappreciated. I still have these on my shelf, along with my 950 XL (which is an amazing piece of hardware!). So sad that the software didn't keep up....oh what could have been....

Can honestly say the Ativ S was my best Windows phone/Phone experience to-date, low spec'd but everything about it worked and worked amazingly well for its time. If had been readily available would have bought the Ativ SE too but sadly it was not... This was the case with lots of Lumia models as many were region specific and not easily obtainable.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Still have 640XL which was a great device. But this thread is meaningless because it depends what you you mean by "using" and "working". No features and No apps on this dead platform, so the phone turns on...

Sent from mTalk

Well I don't doubt those who proclaim their Windows Phone suffices for their needs, or don't needing tons of apps, so essentially the phone is "working" for them. But going by my personal experiences we do question "how well is it working?" and "at no time do they not find their phone's abilities limited?".

When I have any one of my WP's in use we feel constraint while lacking consistency, stability, speed and fluidity. Hard to fathom others aren't experiencing similar/same considering these are present across all three of my phones. Suppose if someone hasn't tested uncharted waters in the past 2-3 years they may think what they are experiencing is normal, or they were lucky enough not to be inflicted by the bad omens as in my case although find this unlikely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos