Before I unload this thing...

ChanceNC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
How many other users here have had trouble with app downloading and installation over the last 24 hours? Also, any trouble using MS-native apps?

Primary issue I'm seeing is apps will appear to download, but unlike in the past, the total size of the file doesn't appear until the file has completely downloaded. Then, an error is thrown..."Couldn't install...we'll try again later". It tries...and tries...then eventually throws an error code...most recently it's 0x80246016.

The Weather app also went south this morning. Maps part of it is now completely broken. If I persist in choosing options there, eventually the MSN mobile website pops up in the window. Lame.

I get a very strong feeling this is the end of a long period of drain circling that started back in October...or, it's just a bad day for the Microsoft Store. But 12-14 hours of persistence? Sounds hinky to me.

Gonna do a hard reset. If that doesn't work, then all my apps will be gone (because the Store won't let me download them) and I will soon offer my pretty new Idol 4S (which coincidentally just exited its return window) to someone else who might be able to get something more out of it. Kinda sad, I thought I'd get at least 6-8 months of enjoyment out of it.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
How many other users here have had trouble with app downloading and installation over the last 24 hours? Also, any trouble using MS-native apps?

Primary issue I'm seeing is apps will appear to download, but unlike in the past, the total size of the file doesn't appear until the file has completely downloaded. Then, an error is thrown..."Couldn't install...we'll try again later". It tries...and tries...then eventually throws an error code...most recently it's 0x80246016.

The Weather app also went south this morning. Maps part of it is now completely broken. If I persist in choosing options there, eventually the MSN mobile website pops up in the window. Lame.

I get a very strong feeling this is the end of a long period of drain circling that started back in October...or, it's just a bad day for the Microsoft Store. But 12-14 hours of persistence? Sounds hinky to me.

Gonna do a hard reset. If that doesn't work, then all my apps will be gone (because the Store won't let me download them) and I will soon offer my pretty new Idol 4S (which coincidentally just exited its return window) to someone else who might be able to get something more out of it. Kinda sad, I thought I'd get at least 6-8 months of enjoyment out of it.

It is what it is. You either have to live with it or move on.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I went through all the apps on my 950 last night and they ALL worked surprise surprise, a welcome surprise of course. Honestly, I'd give it a bit more time as I've personally found the Store to be very hit-n-miss on every single use when downloading apps. Gotten errors, apps that appear to be ready for D/L then vanish, multiple attempts (user input) to get D/L's to complete, and so on. If I were to show someone the darker sides of Windows Phone the store would be right up there with the best of them without a doubt.

And yeah, a hard reset may be your only recourse. Actually want to hard reset my 950 but afraid we'll end up in an empty boat (no motor, oars or life jacket), what a sinking feeling that is... My Windows Phone's are just for toying with so we won't literally sink LOL.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I went through all the apps on my 950 last night and they ALL worked surprise surprise, a welcome surprise of course. Honestly, I'd give it a bit more time as I've personally found the Store to be very hit-n-miss on every single use when downloading apps. Gotten errors, apps that appear to be ready for D/L then vanish, multiple attempts (user input) to get D/L's to complete, and so on. If I were to show someone the darker sides of Windows Phone the store would be right up there with the best of them without a doubt.

And yeah, a hard reset may be your only recourse. Actually want to hard reset my 950 but afraid we'll end up in an empty boat (no motor, oars or life jacket), what a sinking feeling that is... My Windows Phone's are just for toying with so we won't literally sink LOL.

I’m glad it’s not just me. Every time I have to download an app and I get an error I turn off Wi-Fi and use my cellular connection. Works every time.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

You can re-download and install your apps from "my library" in the store.

In terms of issues with such apps, for me - the store app keeps crashing after the latest update and the loud speaker function no longer works in the phone app after the recent updates.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Dude the platform is dead. Ever heard of Apple?

I have.

burning_money-1200x747.png
burning_money-1200x747.jpg

ChanceNC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
We kissed and made up. Carried a dreadful Android device around for a couple days, re-evaluated app needs and fired the Idol back up last night. At its worst, it is still miles ahead of iOS and Android in terms of day to day enjoyment. Patience *is* a virtue! I shall not let this device meet the same fate as the terribly sweet VR6 Jetta I had many years ago before unloading it due to nagging yet minor mechanical annoyances.

Al moon

Feb 2, 2018
Visit site
We kissed and made up. Carried a dreadful Android device around for a couple days, re-evaluated app needs and fired the Idol back up last night. At its worst, it is still miles ahead of iOS and Android in terms of day to day enjoyment. Patience *is* a virtue! I shall not let this device meet the same fate as the terribly sweet VR6 Jetta I had many years ago before unloading it due to nagging yet minor mechanical annoyances.

I got a 4s a few week ago for $99 and sold off a blackberry keyone which is a great device if you like physical keyboards like i do. To be honest with you im pleasantly surprised with it, it has all the apps i need and use aside from a workaround with an app its the best $99 i have spent. Its been so productive for me i was actually able to have a wonderful coffee break with the wife in the middle of the day which i haven't been able to do in a while.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
I have had my idol now since about 25th of January. Been a little bit love hate relationship, as I expected more coming from a Lumia 650 with 1 gig ram . One hard reset later, we are starting to get along. I like the screen and continnum feature. Hard to go back to the 5" screen on the 650. The 64 gig storage is nice too as my 650 only had 16 plus the 32 of my sd card. Some unknown reason, it seems to be faster on cellular than wifi.?

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I wish All the crapple and android trolls would bother someone else. Kinda why I moved across state lines from east to west, had to get away from all the negativity.

Well, I think the negative ones are people who are conservative and holding on to an old, abandoned system and are trying to convince others and them self that's better than enjoying new devices with more features and apps.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think the negative ones are people who are conservative and holding on to an old, abandoned system and are trying to convince others and them self that's better than enjoying new devices with more features and apps.

Newer does not equate being better just like old and abandoned does not equate being inferior. That has nothing to do with being conservative or progressive. It has everything to do with being intelligent enough to know the difference between following the herd or utilizing proven, reliable methods. I'll take a 33-year old LeBron over 10 Joel Embiids or 20 Ben Simmons.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Newer does not equate being better just like old and abandoned does not equate being inferior. That has nothing to do with being conservative or progressive. It has everything to do with being intelligent enough to know the difference between following the herd or utilizing proven, reliable methods. I'll take a 33-year old LeBron over 10 Joel Embiids or 20 Ben Simmons.

Yeah, I wasn't really serious, of course it's not always new=good and old=bad. Especially when it comes to cars. :cool: It was just funny how he was offended by the fact that most people are disappointed with MS and leaving for better phones and then realizing what they have been missing out on.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

If you’re really intelligent you don’t find the need to use words like “crapple”. You are able to articulate the reasons a particular platform works best for you and are not bothered by people who have chosen something else. JMHO.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you’re really intelligent you don’t find the need to use words like “crapple”. You are able to articulate the reasons a particular platform works best for you and are not bothered by people who have chosen something else. JMHO.
I didn't say crapple. I'm not sure I've ever used that term. Me thinks you clicked on the wrong post to quote.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Simply meant, that if you left for greener pastures, fine. Just don't keep trolling people who choose to stay and are happy. If on apple or android, stay over there and provide that group help. Don't waste my time trashing those like me that want to continue to stay with windows phone, saying it is dead give up, move on.. I just moved from Lumia 650 to idol 4s and plan to stay.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Simply meant, that if you left for greener pastures, fine. Just don't keep trolling people who choose to stay and are happy. If on apple or android, stay over there and provide that group help. Don't waste my time trashing those like me that want to continue to stay with windows phone, saying it is dead give up, move on.. I just moved from Lumia 650 to idol 4s and plan to stay.

This is a community of people that have and do use multiple platforms. I certainly don’t think people should come here just to trash windows. Why bother? Many of us still enjoy conversing with people on several forums though and don’t see anything wrong with that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett