06-12-2018 12:01 PM
62 123
tools
    The last time I owned a gaming console it was called Pong.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk
    Atari 8 bit?
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    06-11-2018 11:56 AM
    The last time I owned a gaming console we referred to it as the SNES...
    The last time I owned a gaming console it was called Pong.
    The last time I gamed at all it was on a Commodore 64.
    fin11, Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    06-11-2018 12:49 PM
    Atari 8 bit?
    Some Magnavox thing. This was the 70s dude, there was no Atari.
    06-11-2018 01:48 PM
    You're talking to a couple of old farts who don't care about gaming. At least I don't. í ¾í´£
    You tell him!
    Wait, did you call me an old fart? 🤣
    fatclue_98 and aximtreo like this.
    06-11-2018 03:27 PM
    The last time I gamed at all it was on a Commodore 64.
    Dear lord. That's a long time with no games.

Anyway, my point ONLY was that MSFT is in consumer business at a core level. Games is certainly a consumer product, and huge business for MSFT. There's other examples obviously surface is a consumer product, the cortana speaker thingo, some of the windows 10 licenses will be consumers, skype is also a consumer product, and office isn't a stranger to the home.

Eventually cloud services will likely be a consumer area too. I know it's a gripe people have that MSFT have jettisoned some consumer products over the years, but I think the collective griping tallies to a sort of exageration.

The line between enterprise and consumer products is not so clear either. HoloLens will undoubtably be a consumer product one day, but only with the initial investment of enterprise.

One simply hopes they learn the lessons of the smartphone past and don't pull a blackberry when the moment consumers enter the equation arrives. But I think they will, I see a different company under Nadella. Willing to take some risks, have some vision.

I honestly think it's apple these days that tends toward a lack of vision. They should know that the iPhone is not going to continue to sustain them long term. Post-adoption globally approaches fast. New apple tech seems particularly lacking in creativity.

Anyway, games, I don't play a lot either. I like classic isometric RPGs. Lucky for me their are having a renaissance.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 06-11-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    06-11-2018 06:06 PM
    Dear lord. That's a long time with no games.

Anyway, my point ONLY was that MSFT is in consumer business at a core level. Games is certainly a consumer product, and huge business for MSFT. There's other examples obviously surface is a consumer product, the cortana speaker thingo, some of the windows 10 licenses will be consumers, skype is also a consumer product, and office isn't a stranger to the home.

Eventually cloud services will likely be a consumer area too. I know it's a gripe people have that MSFT have jettisoned some consumer products over the years, but I think the collective griping tallies to a sort of exageration.

The line between enterprise and consumer products is not so clear either. HoloLens will undoubtably be a consumer product one day, but only with the initial investment of enterprise.

One simply hopes they learn the lessons of the smartphone past and don't pull a blackberry when the moment consumers enter the equation arrives. But I think they will, I see a different company under Nadella. Willing to take some risks, have some vision.

I honestly think it's apple these days that tends toward a lack of vision. They should know that the iPhone is not going to continue to sustain them long term. Post-adoption globally approaches fast. New apple tech seems particularly lacking in creativity.

Anyway, games, I don't play a lot either. I like classic isometric RPGs. Lucky for me their are having a renaissance.
    I agree that Microsoft has a lot of potential in the consumer market, I’m just not sure I have confidence they will succeed. It’s up to them.
    As far as Apple not innovating, they certainly lack the vision of Jobs, but they still have the market and ability to lead the way. I see AR as being big with them. There is talk of them getting in the eyeglass business (real eyeglasses with AR abilities). I wouldn’t count them out just yet.
    06-11-2018 06:39 PM
    I agree that Microsoft has a lot of potential in the consumer market, I’m just not sure I have confidence they will succeed. It’s up to them.
    As far as Apple not innovating, they certainly lack the vision of Jobs, but they still have the market and ability to lead the way. I see AR as being big with them. There is talk of them getting in the eyeglass business (real eyeglasses with AR abilities). I wouldn’t count them out just yet.
    Yeah I'm not counting them out entirely. I also suspect they are working on an AI search engine, and for sure they will probably try something like a HoloLens.

I just think that their refusal to make a hybrid OS, and how they are lagging behind with iOS is indicative of a sort of commercial contentment that is often detrimental.

(As an aside, MSFT also has a glasses form factor AR screen tech in proto. Main issue with it so far, is it's monochromatic, ie the size limits the quality of the display - and of course you need to fit in a battery and processor as well, and smart glasses that already exist struggle with this, creating some extra bulk - so I think it will be quite some time before anything both affordable, and desireable to the public gets to that size - certainly a niche product is possible, but AR wearables won't be "the next big thing" for some time yet - for one they lack any substantial ecosystem. MSFT is sort of ahead here with the UWP platform and the new design language, but it's still pretty early days)

Another issue there is that mobile networks cause cancer in close proximity to the body. Wearing something all day on your head is probably not going to be advisable. Carrying a phone as well, somewhat defeats the purpose. So that's another obstacle.

I won't say google doesn't have similar issues. Yes they are making a hybrid OS, and software wise they are fairly innovative (AI, AR, VR android is ahead of the curve), but they still depend on one profit stream that count potentially get toppled and some of their ideas haven't caught on well (Like google VR, nobody uses it).

They need to diversify, in the same way that apple needs something more than the iPhone.

I wouldn't bet my life savings on any of them being major players in 30 years time, Microsoft, apple or google. But if I _had_ to bet, I would probably pick Microsoft, if only because they do have more than one income stream and so they can endure radical market shifts. It also helps they have good quality partnerships with other promising companies like Samsung, steam and amazon. One benefit of being a perceived underdog - other companies will join hands quite earnestly in order to topple the king. I think the amazon partnership could be very fruitful in the long run, as they seem like forerunners ATM in IoT, servers, and MSFT in cloud technology. Samsung might pay off later too, should MFSTs gambit in foldable tech give them a place in foldable tablet phones (we're going to need a shorter name for that :P).

Steam of course will absolutely pay off, in VR, especially when xbox gets mixed reality. Consoles I think are going to be the primary portal to VR - especially zero set-up mixed reality, because they perfectly blend a good experience, with simplicity/accessibility. When it gets to a cable-less experience and evolves a bit (and gets nice and cheap), I can see VR taking off. Indeed, I think it'll probably grow before AR, AI, IoT or graphene tech make substantial waves in the consumer market.

No doubt Samsung will keep it's place in mobile tech, even if the OSes or players change, partly because they've always offered budget options as well, but also because they have TVs and all sorts, so that's truely their game hardware. If premium smartphones slow down, their business model can adapt.

Samsung is another company I have some faith will still exist as a major player in 30 years.
    Last edited by Drael646464; 06-11-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    06-11-2018 07:21 PM
    Yeah I'm not counting them out entirely. I also suspect they are working on an AI search engine, and for sure they will probably try something like a HoloLens.

I just think that their refusal to make a hybrid OS, and how they are lagging behind with iOS is indicative of a sort of commercial contentment that is often detrimental.
    I hear what you’re saying. Blackberry learned the hard way by being content. I don’t think Apples that stupid.
    I understand where people think they lag behind and aren’t innovative. I just think they have determined that sometimes it’s better to perfect rather than always be first. Their customers appreciate that.
    Will this model work forever? Of course not. Like you said, in 30 years all of them could be gone. Most people don’t care about that far in the future though, they care about what works for them today. Today there are really only 2 choices, tomorrow who knows.
    06-11-2018 07:29 PM
    Some Magnavox thing. This was the 70s dude, there was no Atari.
    The atari 8 bit was out in 79.

Pong was created by atari in 72.
    aximtreo likes this.
    06-11-2018 07:46 PM
    The atari 8 bit was out in 79.

Pong was created by atari in 72.
    I had mine around 74 or 75. That was the epitome of cool for a 10 year old at the time.
    aximtreo and nate0 like this.
    06-12-2018 06:08 AM
    Atari 800, dual disk drives, Frogger, Canyon Climber, Donkey Kong; those were the days.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    06-12-2018 06:52 AM
    Atari 800, dual disk drives, Frogger, Canyon Climber, Donkey Kong; those were the days.
    When did Moon Lander come out for PC? That was one of the first pc games I ever played. The 80's were the best imo 😛

Edit: Or was it lunar lander?
    Last edited by nate0; 06-12-2018 at 11:20 PM.
    aximtreo likes this.
    06-12-2018 12:01 PM
62 123