Windows 10 Mobile's End

malteseOne

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
While we just sit and hope for things, business owners like me cant wait for a hope, etc. I have waited over a year for the surface phone and now I cant have WeChat (essential for business in with Chinese customers) and no PDFs.

to me, the windows OS was awesome, but I still have to do business. That means I am forced to change.

eshropshire

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Except if they know that there aren't that many to sell, and there are also hard-core fans who know it's going away and are willing to pay full boat for a NIB example. Why not maximize profits?

They have a warranty.

Given MS's position in the market, it's QUITE possible that their deals with distributors included a requirement that unsold stock could be returned at a certain point.

It's also possible that this was stock held onto for warranty exchanges or for corporate sales, and have now been released for clearance.
I believe these phones are stock MS held back for a few corporate accounts. As corporate accounts have moved MS does not need to keep the stock. Now time to clear the stock. Still since stock is limited no reason to fire sale.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
While we just sit and hope for things, business owners like me cant wait for a hope, etc. I have waited over a year for the surface phone and now I cant have WeChat (essential for business in with Chinese customers) and no PDFs.

to me, the windows OS was awesome, but I still have to do business. That means I am forced to change.

wait what? edge is a fantastic pdf reader.

SolitarySnail

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
wait what? edge is a fantastic pdf reader.

Edge does read pdfs nicely, but the fact that it crashes frequently and overheats the phone shows that it isn't adequate to be a native browser, or even a side browser. MS has fixed that with a recent update, but Edge is still pretty pathetic as a whole.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Edge does read pdfs nicely, but the fact that it crashes frequently and overheats the phone shows that it isn't adequate to be a native browser, or even a side browser. MS has fixed that with a recent update, but Edge is still pretty pathetic as a whole.

I'm only a year or so into my first win mobile, so I've never really had crashes in edge. But it's underfeatured compared to the desktop version, which is pretty darn good now (lots of good features no one else has)

Still, browsers on mobile devices generally are next to their desktop counterparts - it's something I always bring up regarding full windows tablets versus mobile OSes - it's not just power apps that are better, everything a normal person does is better too - media apps, browser etc.

But, on the pdf side, and this is more what I was talking about, edge may be the fastest pdf reader I've ever used on any OS. And even being fast is pretty uncommon. Acrobat for example is slow AF. If you are loading something with lots of graphics, you really, really notice the difference.

Usually this requires a quality caching service, that reads ahead. I was very impressed with edge's pdf reading abilities. The only thing its missing is a bookshelf, visual type of index (which bookviewer, a UWP, has, and it also reads pdfs)

Trq20

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I still use and enjoy the beutiful windows 10 mobile, its cool thing thats is windows, same like my pc, also universal apps, so no problem for me, maybe i use untill end.

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I have my WM10 devices in my drawer only use them if there's an update for them. I moved on a long time ago when I got a Nexus 5X now Pixel 2. Yes they have they're doing something new but I doubt I'll be back.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I still use and enjoy the beutiful windows 10 mobile, its cool thing thats is windows, same like my pc, also universal apps, so no problem for me, maybe i use untill end.
, also see no need to change from os, wm 10 has all the fundamentals I need/want for a phone. And security updates till end 2019 is very nice, much better than most Android update policies. I only hope whatsapp will continue to work till end 2019 lol.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I have my WM10 devices in my drawer only use them if there's an update for them. I moved on a long time ago when I got a Nexus 5X now Pixel 2. Yes they have they're doing something new but I doubt I'll be back.

Mine were in a drawer seeing occasional use but now they are put to rest in their perspective boxes (as of yesterday), shame. Been using Android pretty much faithfully for the past 3.5 years with my early 2015 Droid easily being able to keep up with my six month old Droid. Stark contrast to using our 830/650/950 where we lose about 60-70% of our abilities (for my type of use) not to mention less stability, just plain slower to perform similar tasks, and they lack fluidity overall. So I'm pretty confident in saying I'll never be back as MS burnt too many bridges for my liking, those images are now permanently etched into my brain making it near impossible to forget. :eck:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame that (A) people have left in droves and (B) apps are dropping like flies because W10M is about as stable now as it's ever been. Now that the Insider Program has been deep-sixed, they've been able to concentrate on one version and one version only. App updates continue to trickle in on a semi-regular basis (weekly) and they're much more stable. Edge is slowly starting to grow on me and the PDF situation has improved exponentially.

Microsoft should've put the kibosh on the Insider Program a year ago. Would've, could've, should've.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame that (A) people have left in droves and (B) apps are dropping like flies because W10M is about as stable now as it's ever been. Now that the Insider Program has been deep-sixed, they've been able to concentrate on one version and one version only. App updates continue to trickle in on a semi-regular basis (weekly) and they're much more stable. Edge is slowly starting to grow on me and the PDF situation has improved exponentially.

Microsoft should've put the kibosh on the Insider Program a year ago. Would've, could've, should've.

We haven't left Windows mobile phone and we will not leave until the great and amazing services really, actually, stops functioning. It's just too good, too fun, too easy, too flexible, too beautiful, and services all my needs. I'm not interested in following the "Madness of Crowds or other Poplar Delusions".
Best Wishes.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
We haven't left Windows mobile phone and we will not leave until the great and amazing services really, actually, stops functioning. It's just too good, too fun, too easy, too flexible, too beautiful, and services all my needs. I'm not interested in following the "Madness of Crowds or other Poplar Delusions".
Best Wishes.

Having used them all (WP/Android/iOS), I can honestly tell you my switch from WP had nothing at all to do with being delusional or wanting to be a crowd follower. And I'll bet the majority that jumped from the WP bandwagon can say the same thing too. Awesome you're able to make it work for you yet you've now become the minority.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Arguably we could say W10M never really began.
I wouldn't go that far, it started with a fizzle instead of a bang. For as good as they may have been, the 950 series was not eye candy. The Alcatel Fierce XL that followed was an abortion that lived. By the time the Anniversary Update rolled around it was curtains and the Idol 4S and Elite x3 couldn't stem that tide.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It ain't over till it's over. And what defines "over" for each of us is different.

I use Android periodically because certain functionalities of apps or services only sadly work on Android or iOS. But that is only because a developer(s) chooses it to be that way. Staying away from iPhones...Apple is not going to get much of my money any more...

So its not over for W10M....yet.
But for others it is.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Having used them all (WP/Android/iOS), I can honestly tell you my switch from WP had nothing at all to do with being delusional or wanting to be a crowd follower. And I'll bet the majority that jumped from the WP bandwagon can say the same thing too. Awesome you're able to make it work for you yet you've now become the minority.

It's interesting how people start out with "it works for me."but suddenly have to change to others are delusional or following the crowd. Whatever.

Lobo Technician

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
I'm still using my 650 as my daily driver, and while it does meet my minimum requirements, the app gap continues to be a bit of a drag. Its always annoying when my friends of coworkers are all playing a game (PUBG Mobile) or are using a workout app, and I'm never able to join in. So W10M is great as long as you don't have friends, lol.

Another constant issue are all the bugs, they're not a big deal at first, but they seem to get worse overtime. These bugs include: Constant restarts, loading screen taking way too long to load simple apps like the calculator, Bluetooth connecting and disconnecting when it feels like, ringer randomly turning on after I turned it off (making my phone ring in the middle of meetings -_-) Excel mobile not recognizing that I have an Office subscription and not allowing me to edit my sheets, etc.

Its not all bad though, I enjoy how well Excel, One Note and the Office Suite overall sync to all my devices. The layout and start screen is still the cleanest and most functional I have used. Cortana is useful for what I need her for, and I enjoy the benefits of being part of the Microsoft Ecosystem, allowing my data to be accessible from my phone, PC (Personal, Work, Wife's PC) and XBoxOne.

Sometimes it gets exhausting being a W10M user, but the benefits out way its downfalls for now. Looking forward to Andromeda though.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I've been using the Alcatel Idol 4 S as my daily driver for the last couple of weeks. Despite app limitations, i find the app i don't have for work still has the web version i pin to my start screen and all is good.

Works and has all the information i need for my trucking career. The truth is i just like the phone itself and how beautiful windows is on it. Even better than my 950 to me. The Dollar General account I'm on uses windows phone for receiving. Pretty cool.

So my Nokia android is sitting in a box and will continue to do so for awhile.

One thing i missed with windows was how i could send messages over Bluetooth and have them read. Everything is just neater and more organized without messy notifications littered on the top screen.

I had windows launcher on my android and while it was good, the real thing is soo much better. If the Lord will will be here until whatever the next thing is.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I had to move to Android because MS decided to drop support for their own apps (MS Teams) for W10M. If they hadn't done that then I would not have switched.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett