Miss W10M so much :(

Kaymd

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
So nearly 3 months into using an Android phone. It's a OnePlus5T. Great phone. Ok'ish operating system.

Just pulled my Lumia 950 out of the cupboard and fired it up for old times sake.

I really miss that OS. How it synced so perfectly with outlook, contacts, calendar, Cortana, office. Between my Surface devices and lumia phone eveything just worked seamlessely. It was a perfect harmony.

I should stop taking it out and switching it on. I should just send it off to be recycled. It makes me too sad when I power it up :(

I just feel so lost when I pick up any of my Android phones. Notifications everywhere, icons all over the place, Settings are impossible to organize etc. Damn, you don't know what you've got till it's gone! WM10 is pure organization and simplicity. Notifications are simple, clean and clear. Colors are cool (especially in dark mode), and design language is truly content over chrome, no wasted colors attacking your eyes or crazy assortment of icons and notifications all over the place. I'm holding on to my 950XL for as long as possible, I just don't know where else to go, it seems incredible to me that people find Android useful at all. Maybe I'll try iOS, it may be much more organized.
And the Start screen of WM10 is pure genius. Andromeda can't come quickly enough, at least I'll get a bona fide start screen, not the array of dead icons from Android or iOS.

I want WM10 back :cry:

Asbmor

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I realy miss my Windows Mobile. Have had a Samsung S8, hated it. Got a OnePlus 5T and love it.
Miss Continuum. I was a daily user of the HP Elite X3 Lapdock, it was my go too note system with OneNote.mLoved it.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I realy miss my Windows Mobile. Have had a Samsung S8, hated it. Got a OnePlus 5T and love it.
Miss Continuum. I was a daily user of the HP Elite X3 Lapdock, it was my go too note system with OneNote.mLoved it.

I am still using, and am happy with, my Elite X3. But then I don't need to have the latest and greatest apps. I just need something that works for me. Windows 10 Mobile still does that. Granted, in the future I will most likely move to Android if MS don't make any more hardware (and I'd go for Nokia), but my phone isn't my life so what I have is enough for me.

Granted though, when I did go to Android, way back when, there were things I missed. Live Tiles was number one. They just allow me to be more productive and it is interesting why MS don't just put them in their Android launcher. Maybe one day they will.

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Well I was rabidly clinging to my Lumia 650 until the sluggishness just weighed me down too much, the MS authored Facebook apps took an eternity to load, it was painful, they took away all of the hub integration that made WP8.1 so great resulting in an OS which wasn't what it once was. I finally made the switch to Android and after a couple of phones I finally found my groove with the Moto G5 Plus (and now the Z2 Play), I use Microsoft Launcher and all the other Microsoft apps and everything feels integrated perfectly.

It is so smooth and snappy compared to where WM10 had ended up and with no true "upper mid" range device from MS I was stuck with the 650 anyway since the 950 was out of my price range so I was never going to experience better performance out of a Windows phone.

I actually broke my G5 Plus and had to go back to the 650 for a month or so and it was simply torture, things that used to work had stopped working since apps had become unsupported or removed and it had simply become a horrible place to be.

It could've been wonderful but MS let me down AGAIN and now I am forced to be an Android user since I don't see them jumping ahead anytime soon and I can't bring myself to take another step backwards.

Ha! 650 has 1GB Ram, so don't expect too much, although it's still an excellent phone. Try an Android with 1GB Ram and you couldn't do ****. 950 and 950xl are excellent, so is HP Elite X3. I also have the Moto 5S plus and have for three months and it's good hardware but Android has slowed heaps and still has heaps of bugs. Android is a MASSIVE down grade compared to WM!!!!!!!

rajthampi

May 4, 2014
Visit site
So nearly 3 months into using an Android phone. It's a OnePlus5T. Great phone. Ok'ish operating system.

Just pulled my Lumia 950 out of the cupboard and fired it up for old times sake.

I really miss that OS. How it synced so perfectly with outlook, contacts, calendar, Cortana, office. Between my Surface devices and lumia phone eveything just worked seamlessely. It was a perfect harmony.

I should stop taking it out and switching it on. I should just send it off to be recycled. It makes me too sad when I power it up :(

Strange enough, today I was going through the stuffs & took out my Lumia 1020, which had the insider for a while, prior I chose to stick to Windows Phone 8.1. I goddamn miss everything you listed above, plus the security the OS has offered. I wonder how such a wonderful OS ended up nowhere within just few years time when, as you said, neither IOS or Android ever could challenge many of the peculiar features it had.

Serpentbane

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site

Tried Samsung S8 this christmas. After spending 3 hours not getting it to sync my live contacts I threw it in a drawer and went back to my L950XL.

prateek sadhana

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I miss my windows phone so much... We need Microsoft to come back with windows phone as soon as possible or I'll end up buying the arm 2 in 1 with lte and telephony as my daily driver...

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I just feel so lost when I pick up any of my Android phones. Notifications everywhere, icons all over the place, Settings are impossible to organize etc. Damn, you don't know what you've got till it's gone! WM10 is pure organization and simplicity. Notifications are simple, clean and clear. Colors are cool (especially in dark mode), and design language is truly content over chrome, no wasted colors attacking your eyes or crazy assortment of icons and notifications all over the place. I'm holding on to my 950XL for as long as possible, I just don't know where else to go, it seems incredible to me that people find Android useful at all. Maybe I'll try iOS, it may be much more organized.
And the Start screen of WM10 is pure genius. Andromeda can't come quickly enough, at least I'll get a bona fide start screen, not the array of dead icons from Android or iOS.

I want WM10 back :cry:

You absolutely nailed it.

Android is a mess. They might have millions of apps but about 99% of them are just useless. I've started to replace strore apps with PWA's.

When I made the switch one of the first things I done was download about 50 apps that were never available to me on W10M. I played around with them for a bit, but the novelty wore off within a week.

About a 2 months into my Android experience I get a notifcation from the OnePlus Oxygen OS saying "Hey, we've taken a look at your storage usage and broken down your app usage. It turns out you're only using Outlook, Edge, MSN News/Weather, Amazon and a Banking App. How about we bin these others and save you 5GB of space."

So I went one further and binned Outlook, Amazon and my Banking app too.....and replaced them with PWA's.

I now have like 4 apps on a phone with 128GB of storage and 8GB of Ram. Talk about overkill.

But yeah, apps are mostly pointless bullcrap.

In a perfect world I'd have my OnePlus5T running W10M.....or better yet Windows Phone 8.

Thomasmeisch

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
I really miss cortona intergration, whether it was my 2006 300C or 2011 Cruse she would ask to read text and emails as they arrived trully hands free driving. Android will dictate but not announce and ask if I'd like the message read. And of course the overall user interface is missed vs Android.

Patt Brocksom1

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
I made a forced switch at the start of the year, after my L830 went in the wash.☹️ I have a Moto Z Play with great battery life and some good apps. I miss my Lumia daily. I have a spare L830 in the shop waiting for a new microphone. I'm currently making a pro/con list and expect to go back to Windows once that phone is fixed. Windows just feels better. Same as everyone else has said, integration, Live tiles, camera button, etc. Square Home 2 is working as a close approximation to Live tiles though.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
For those tile based launcher naysayers, you really need to give square home 2 launcher a try. I've been using it since Oct when I made switch and it keeps getting better with every update. I still use my Idol 4S as media player in car, and now actually prefer SH2 over W10M. Its more stable with improved functionality. Vertical scroll works great, love mixing widgets with tiles and adding more home screens for full screen widgets. The cube tile is fantastic.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
That was because a unified press did what they could to kill it.

Consumer demand for complete ecosystems of Android or IOS killed Microsoft OS and BlackBerry OS in the mobile space. Two ecosystems are enough for the largest of developers in corporations to support. Resources are finite.

anon(1307783)

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Went from a Lumia 950 to a Galaxy S8 Active. I miss the 950 a lot. I wish Windows Phones could come back. A lot of things that OS did were just so intuitive in my opinion. Android is decent, but not as good as far as I'm concerned.

Overall I wish Microsoft would spend more time on making their apps work great on their own platforms. It's infuriating to see them give up on so many things. And I hope they throw more resources at Windows 10 with regards to app support, and most importantly, support for Microsoft's own apps.

depirate

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Finally made the switch to android when my 950 began rebooting randomly and my phone is crucial for work.
Miss W10M so much, realising so many little features I took for granted were great to have. Had been on the journey from Windows mobile and probably bought every Lumia ever on the Irish market (anyone who depended on me for a phone got a windows phone).
Guess we can only dream of what could have been.

J Frost

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I do miss windows phone, and the biggest thing that I miss is the strong and fluid intigration of Office, Outlook, and my goodness Cortana. I didn't realize how much I relied on "Hey Cortana" for my daily activity and assistance. I have a Note 8 and the phone is excellent, running the Microsoft Launcher has made it an easier transition but not seamless.

JB Labs

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Would anyone buy a Windows Phone?

I don't ask that in a condescending way, it's a legitimate question. As much as I love the OS, the app gap only continues to widen and that old snapdragon processor feels pretty slow when compared to even mid range phones in 2018. I haven't even looked into selling it because I just can't imagine someone buying a lumia.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and there are millions of die-hard fans who'd bite my hand for the device :)

I definitely would buy it.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Andy, you and many others responses here are why I will Never switch to the hot mess that is android, and continue to enjoy my 950XL. Still waiting for Andromeda !!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs