Miss W10M so much :(

nlsclint

Aug 11, 2017
Visit site
I don't understand how android has become so popular. Its great that it is an open platform but the function is horrible. the UI is different on every device and quite frankly it is rather hard to navigate. WM was so easy and clean and it worked almost flawlessly with everything in my daily life. I definitely miss the 950 and the OS in general. I will be one of the first in line to get a new "mobile device" if they make one.

MsftMan

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Still on my HP Elite X3, will continue to use until it is DEAD. The cost of phones these days prohibits me from not using a phone until it's dead.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Still on my HP Elite X3, will continue to use until it is DEAD. The cost of phones these days prohibits me from not using a phone until it's dead.
Using last year's flagship isn't the same deal it used to be. Older phones are holding their value quite well and forcing people to buy mid-grade phones instead. Granted, they're more feature-rich than in the past but $500 for a mid level phone is obscene.

I'm using a 2018 Android but it's hard to put this down.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

DaveMuzikbox94

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I've used Windows phone since 2013 and I really do miss it. I have a Galaxy s6 edge plus and using launcher 10 just to full the empty void of not using windows anymore. I also have cortana, edge, and every other Microsoft thing you could think of. Lumia was the best

taynjack

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I agree. I have been running my 640XL for 2-1/2 years now. I haven't jumped yet because I just can't stand android or IPhone playing with them in the store. They both have some issues that make it hard to jump. I still get at least a day with the battery. Now if they could just fix the constant reloading of web pages in edge. :angry:

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I miss my 950's camera. I'd say I miss the replaceable battery, but then you can't buy a genuine one, now, anyway.

I also certainly don't miss the absolute mess that was the W10M account management system. I have three email accounts, and W10M always seemed to be forgetting the password for one of them.

Otherwise, I don't miss anything else. I am using a Sony Xperia XZ Premium. It has a better screen with no burn-in, better battery life with no overheating, universal app coverage, and faster performance on comparable apps.

I used to miss live tiles, but SquareHome 2 and Android Widgets have pretty much replaced them. I have Calendar and Weather tiles with realtime info, a scrollable Outlook inbox tile (that never asks me to refresh passwords), three news readers with updating tile info, and a Pictures tile that rotates between photos.

I do agree that the dark theme of the W10M user interface was better than the mish-mash that is Android's UI. But how much time do I spend in settings? Like maybe 5 minutes per week.

Bloobed

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Not really about W10M, but I do miss the easy one-handed use of WP8(.1). The apps that were on the platform, usually conformed to it pretty well, so if it made sense for the app, it could be used one-handed.

Unkitjc

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I am still using a 950 XL, and for the most part it still works well. Just a couple of months ago I had gone for a holiday where I was able to survive by only carrying this one device. The battery life, mostly due to the processor, is a bit weak, but otherwise the display feels gorgeous as ever.

Coming back to the holiday - the 19MP camera on this is still a beast! Granted that photos in auto mode don't away work out, but I have become so used to the manual mode! With the level of detail and light I got in sunset and landscape pictures, the quality felt way above the average smartphone (as good as a point and shoot for certain). I love taking pictures, so the processing times got on my nerves a lot, but the results were worth it. Overall in the trip I ended up clicking about 1100 pictures in a span of 8 days (this count contains bad / double shots of course).

Having wifi in my apartment meant my pictures got backed up to OneDrive daily, allowing me to clear a lot of the space (specially deleting huge video / pictures for timelapses).

With continuum I would connect to the TV and review the pictures I took, check my emails, do a bit of expense tracking on excel, did web browsing, skype calling the family and even watched movies I had on my USB drive.

The convenience of it all was wonderful. I have a feeling I will miss continuum when I do switch to android.. Samsung has it, but I am not a big fan of Samsung's overall software execution on phone. May be one day Google will decide to make it an OS wide feature.

OR Andromeda will be useable as a phone and I won't have to switch to android after all

PS - currently, the lack of many options for a big camera sensor on phones is my biggest roadblock for switching to Android. Sony is probably the only good one with a big 20MP sensor, and Oneplus with 16MP, but they both seem to leave something to be desired

Some Gadget Geek

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
So why don't Microsoft use live tiles on Android ?

I'm using the third-party Launcher 10 on my Nokia 6. It's the closest thing to a real Windows 10 mobile phone as opposed to others which still have a WP8.1 kind of look. I've briefly tried the live tile feature for free and enjoyed it, and am looking to save enough to purchase it soon. There are some bugs in Launcher 10, such as irregularly coloured tiles, but I don't mind it at all. I just like the feeling of familiarity and I've even eschewed MSFT Launcher for it... At least, until MSFT comes up with one just like it, if it ever happens.

scottgx

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
I don't miss it because I'M STILL USING IT. I love my Lumia 950XL with Live Tiles! It works great!
I have no interest in giving it up. If it breaks, I'll buy another 950XL or the HP Elite x3.

Zirak

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I switched up and bought an Essential Phone. Great specs, more RAM than my Surface, and at the end of it all it's mediocre at best. I get that everyone is on the Android bandwagon, sure there are lots of apps, but my 640 was a solid work horse and if I could slap in more RAM it would be good for years more. I still use it as my travel phone.

erikpritchard

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
My poor Dad only knows Windows phone mobile. The Lumia 640 was his first and only smartphone. I gave him an old Honor 5x once but he gave it back, explaining it just wasn't as good. He might have to buy an iphone to get something comparable. After paying $29.99 in the Microsoft Store he just can't understand why everything else is hundreds of dollars.

Windows mobile was an excellent, perhaps even best-of-class mobile OS. I used a Lumia 1040 before I jumped to Android. WP mobile handled my car's Bluetooth so well. I could hands-free text and drive. With my s8 I have to drive with my knees and look down, sometimes hitting things/people on the side of the road. Seriously though, wp mobile is still better than Android in several ways. The story of how a top-notch mobile OS like this could end up in the trash heap is a soap opera authored by Microsoft...it's unbelievable.

BigBadJock

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I switched to an Nokia 8 android phone in November after breaking the screen of my 950XL. I love the apps that I can get on Android, but by god I miss the Windows OS. Android sucks big time.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Ha! 650 has 1GB Ram, so don't expect too much, although it's still an excellent phone. Try an Android with 1GB Ram and you couldn't do ****. 950 and 950xl are excellent, so is HP Elite X3. I also have the Moto 5S plus and have for three months and it's good hardware but Android has slowed heaps and still has heaps of bugs. Android is a MASSIVE down grade compared to WM!!!!!!!

I own the 830, 650 and 950. The browsing experience on the 950 is pretty horrendous and it's got 3GB Ram, essentially no better than the other two. Overall its performance is dismal too and when compared to my other Windows Phones, kinda follows suite with Windows Mobile and its poor implementations. My LG G4, 7 months older than 950 with only one hard reset in its life (nearly 2 years ago), pretty much puts the 950 to shame, as does my BB Motion. Haven't even compared Windows Phone and both my GS7 & GS7 Edge because there'd be no comparison.

So not sure what is wrong with your Moto 5S because from my experience there has never been any noticeable, or massive, slowdowns with my Android devices. And this is me using them for well over a year without any drastic measures like a hard reset.

As for Android being a massive downgrade. Couldn't be further from the truth in my honest opinion especially considering WP can't even be used as a decent web browsing device as is, that aspect alone is very crippling since there's a lack of apps. Seeing the amount of WPs ending up on the chopping block along with WP users jumping ship is kind of tell tail, otherwise if they were "excellent" devices then there would be no need to do so right?

ManOfChair

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
I broke my 950 about the time MSFT gave up, so I gave up. I bought a Samsung Note 8. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to toss that thing. The hardware is great. FWIW I have Jolla Sailfish on the Sony Xperia too. And N9 Meego and ...
Last week buddy came over with his 950XL, thinking he should do Android. I suggested a 2 month swap. He took it - sucker!

I'm dreading when those 2 months are up.

RHoudek2

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
In short, Yes I miss Windows mobile but I just switched from the Android that replaced my 950 xl to an iPhone 6s and I can say i'm glad I'm finally witha company that is intereswted in its consumers not just business users.

sniperboywc

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I switched over from Windows Phone to Android this weekend. It feels like I've literally moved from living in a house to living in a small apartment.

Things I don’t like about Android:
1. I don’t like that I can’t change the size of the icons.
2. I don't like how the icon pages are each separate and not one continuous page when you swipe right.
3. I don’t like how I have hit a verify key after typing in my password to open my phone
4. I don’t like how the apps cannot be installed on the SD card.
5. I don’t like all the wasted space on the Start screens.
6. I don’t like having that big search bar across the top of the screen.
7. I don’t like having that row of icons pinned the bottom of all screens. Why do I have to keep seeing them when I swipe right?

The only thing good about Android is being able to run any app that you want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven