Miss W10M so much :(

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I switched over from Windows Phone to Android this weekend. It feels like I've literally moved from living in a house to living in a small apartment.

Things I don’t like about Android:
1. I don’t like that I can’t change the size of the icons.
2. I don't like how the icon pages are each separate and not one continuous page when you swipe right.
3. I don’t like how I have hit a verify key after typing in my password to open my phone
4. I don’t like how the apps cannot be installed on the SD card.
5. I don’t like all the wasted space on the Start screens.
6. I don’t like having that big search bar across the top of the screen.
7. I don’t like having that row of icons pinned the bottom of all screens. Why do I have to keep seeing them when I swipe right?

The only thing good about Android is being able to run any app that you want.

Give it 30 days to adjust your brain without using old device.

azilgath

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Not really, been using a Galaxy S9+ for a few days now, switched from my Lumia 950xl. Installed Launcher10, paid for live tile functionality and no-ads. Pretty much its like w10m except everything works.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not really, been using a Galaxy S9+ for a few days now, switched from my Lumia 950xl. Installed Launcher10, paid for live tile functionality and no-ads. Pretty much its like w10m except everything works.

Let me know if you can pin separate email accounts on the home screen like you can on WM. The last time I tried Launcher 10 you couldn't. Yes, I paid for the upgraded version.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It's hard folks. Microsoft may never be the same in the mobile space, ever. I don't know if they plan to or not but I sure as heck want them to be. If their next attempt is a new category of a device I just hope it can fit in my pocket, send text messages, make phone calls, and use LTE 5g along with VoLTE/HD voice. I don't care if it's aimed at enterprise or not I would rather be using a device and platform that is natively familiar and beneficial to me. Android does the job but lacks easy of use big time. It makes up for that in snappiness, raw power and speed but not by much. If I was not already familiar with Android I would be pulling my hair out. I can't imagine how it is for older generations or others who've never used it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Let me know if you can pin separate email accounts on the home screen like you can on WM. The last time I tried Launcher 10 you couldn't. Yes, I paid for the upgraded version.

You can do that with Gmail widgets. You can make the widgets the size of a shortcut.

That said, you sure do have interesting smartphone requirements! It seem seems like either you formed your processes around WP/WM's capabilities, or it was tailor made for you! I never before had a desire to have multiple email shortcuts on my home screen. I guess I've moved past email for the most part.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You can do that with Gmail widgets. You can make the widgets the size of a shortcut.

That said, you sure do have interesting smartphone requirements! It seem seems like either you formed your processes around WP/WM's capabilities, or it was tailor made for you! I never before had a desire to have multiple email shortcuts on my home screen. I guess I've moved past email for the most part.

The BlackBerry Hub allows you to pin separate accounts to your home screen but I'm just not sold on the rest of Android. I'm very reliant on email and texts so yes, my needs are not common at all.

Adventurer64

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
Give it 30 days to adjust your brain without using old device.

1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 can be mitigated by using Square Home 2 launcher. It's working rather smoothly on my LG V20. There is also additional functionality built in above and beyond W10M, like a cube tile and additional home screens. Custom icon packs as well. Lots of settings, but once you get the look and feel you want, it's great. I have the paid version and receive notifications in tiles. Finally, you can mix in widgets with the tiles.

Fabiana Espindola

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Moved from an HP x3 to LG G6 three months ago. Mom managed to shatter her Lumia screen glass so I had to find a solution real quick. My carrier sold me the G6 for roughly 50 bucks so in terms of cost it was much a better deal than buying another x3. My experience with Android is a mixed bag as follows:

+ More apps, they get bug fixes and new features way earlier than on W10M.
+ Considering SD820 and SD821 are rather similar it seems Android 7 draws less battery than W10M with just a few tweaks.
+ For those who dislike Spotify there's Apple Music, Tidal and many others. RIP Groove.
+ I've recently purchased a Play-Fi wireless speaker. It doesn't work with W10M but x86 Windows, iOS and Android.
+ Automatic brightness works fine. With the x3 it simply didn't.
+ Outlook app works great as it does with W10M.

Now... the cons:
- Last security update dates December 5th (three months and a half ago!).
- Notifications are messy and annoying. Really, it will take years for Android to catch up in that regard.
- The amount of icons reminds of Symbian days. They're nowhere are productive as the live tiles.
- Had to disable lots of apps, especially Google apps, to save battery.
- Some apps refuse to work unless you enable certain Google services.
- Adding OneDrive takes manual steps for mostly every app. And it's often unsupported. Only last week I figured I could load my contacts from Exchange Server.
- Sometimes an app refuses to use data. The only fix I found is to restart the OS.
- It takes a ton of memory. Seems more demanding than x86 Windows.
- Apps crash more often, including background apps.
- You're tied to Google App Store. Tried Amazon and even downloading apps and installing manually.
- Groove isn't usable. Had issues with playing music I had already purchased and downloaded. It doesn't play FLAC or uses MicroSD. Saves files with messy names.
- Still couldn't get OS X to browse files.

To sum up: while I found the LG phone to be pretty good on its own I disliked Android. Will probably switch back to Windows once MS brings something new to the table.

Vijay Kumar910

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
So nearly 3 months into using an Android phone. It's a OnePlus5T. Great phone. Ok'ish operating system.

Just pulled my Lumia 950 out of the cupboard and fired it up for old times sake.

I really miss that OS. How it synced so perfectly with outlook, contacts, calendar, Cortana, office. Between my Surface devices and lumia phone eveything just worked seamlessely. It was a perfect harmony.

I should stop taking it out and switching it on. I should just send it off to be recycled. It makes me too sad when I power it up :(

i have changed to nokia 6 coz may Lumia 830 soft keys stopped working. now i want to through away my android phone and get a new windows phone missing it very badly.

Kerry2112

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I really miss cortona intergration, whether it was my 2006 300C or 2011 Cruse she would ask to read text and emails as they arrived trully hands free driving. Android will dictate but not announce and ask if I'd like the message read. And of course the overall user interface is missed vs Android.

There are a few apps for Android that can do this but I have found none that work as well as Cortana does on my 950XL. ReadItToMe comes closest but you really have to play around with settings to get it to work like Cortana and even then it doesn't cope well with a number of SMS coming in one after the other. I've also used Drivemode but it has problems too.

Garth Vader

Mar 22, 2018
Visit site
I bought a Lumia 800 at launch which ran Mango and it was the best mobile OS experience I've had. There were major issues that were corrected with later updates (list of missed notifications etc). It was a fantastic phone. I did feel burned by the handset not being able to run Windows Phone 8. We instead got Windows Phone 7.9 which, while still was a great improvement, left us behind less than a year after launch and I felt burned. It was a hardware issue and that's always a risk of being an early adopter but it was a really bad move.

I still prefer the way Windows Phone worked. I loved the live tiles, color schemes, basically everything. The one thing that kept me from returning to Windows Phone is the app gap. If there was a way, any way (via jail-breaking or whatever) to run iOS or Android apps on Windows Mobile, I'd be back on a Windows mobile device in a flash.

I'm now on an iPhone but would jump back if the apps I use were available.

Ulf Gille

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Just got myself a HP Elite X3 and I love it. Been using Sony Xperia's for a long time but the integration with my laptop and my Surface is so much better with W10M. The apps I need still works and the rest is possible to do in Edge. Will use it til it dies. Hoping someday there will be something new from Microsoft that maybe is possible to use on my X3. Since Windows 10 runs on Snapdragon, maybe there will be something usable for our phones in the future.

Curtis Webb

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Switched from my 950XL to a Sony Xperia Z5P. It's a beautiful phone, amazing display, same specs too, but it's just not the same. Had to switch because someone threw my 950XL across the room :( That phone had the best camera on the market. Still have my old 1520 though, and I do take it out every now and then, just to keep it updated. Reminds me how much I love that OS, just didn't have the apps. I hate Android, but Sony keeps it bare bones and I was able to ditch everything Google and install MS apps, including Launcher, but it's definitely not the same fluid experience. Cortana is lacking big time. Please come back Windows Phone!!!

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
All phones are usable in the future, as paper weights.☺

At some point someone should invest in a phone recycling business. Maybe it has already been done....Take in all old phones. Maybe through innovative special ovens bake off the metals of the PCB and other circuit board components for reuse. Work on recycling the Gorilla glass with Corning and even invest in RnD for ways to reuse or recycle all the OLED and LCD components. They could even with all this waste have their own handsets made directly from the recycled material....

the1

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm actually about to pull my Idol 4S out the drawer. I put it up for a Blackberry Passport and that is/was a dang good phone that was dealt the same hand as Windows Mobile and WebOS before it; awesome OS hampered by the need for apps. I'm just like it is what it is. I'm looking at either purchasing Lumia 950, LG G5, or the LG V20. My only hang up regarding getting the LG phones is I refuse to run them with Google Services, which means I would have to run an AOSP rom, which removes the OEM camera software. :unhappy:

At this point, I just wish T-Mobile releases an LTE feature phone that allows me to tether to my 8in Windows Tablet when I'm on the go. :straight:

Alberto Mandlate

Aug 6, 2017
Visit site
Windows OS is just a great OS on every platforms. On mobile was just missing the apps. Imagine using all your current Android apps developed for Windows 10 with UWP. Seriously, would simple be great.
But let's wait for the new enviroment beeing design.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
So nearly 3 months into using an Android phone. It's a OnePlus5T. Great phone. Ok'ish operating system.

Just pulled my Lumia 950 out of the cupboard and fired it up for old times sake.

I really miss that OS. How it synced so perfectly with outlook, contacts, calendar, Cortana, office. Between my Surface devices and lumia phone eveything just worked seamlessely. It was a perfect harmony.

I should stop taking it out and switching it on. I should just send it off to be recycled. It makes me too sad when I power it up :(

I miss my Lumia 1520 everyday...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
OMG...I got a malware popup on my Android device while reading report from a reputable website. My finger must have accidentally grazed a bogus add on my screen. Could not get rid of it until I killed the tab. It kept telling me my 'Android device needs to be updated right away and to click here!' lol

In 3+ years on my Windows phones never once saw anything like this. 1+ week using Android...go figure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786