Miss W10M so much :(

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I use a V20 but use Chrome or Firefox. I don't use Edge on any devices, even my PC.

Very rarely use Edge myself except on our Windows Phones when we have one out for a spin (like as of this post toying with our 950), even then we try to avoid instead opting to use BlueSky Browser - my browsing experiences on W10M has been pretty dismal (slow/clunky) compared any other device I presently own and have not found any browsers available to bring it up to a level it should be, especially on the 950.

For Droid I'm all in w/Samsung's Internet Browser. Feels totally natural with its bottom nav bar layout (back/forward, home, bookmarks, tabs) and the ease of accessing the clearly laid out bookmarks. Finding so many pluses compared to the others and sure wish it was available for WP cuz then maybe my three could become somewhat useful again LOL.

And to me my bookmarks on Samsung's browser looks so much cleaner than our favourites on WP...

browsers.jpg

Last edited:

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Try the Samsung Internet Browser. It has a very good AdBlock and has the controls at the bottom of the page so you're not stretching your thumbs off the knuckles.

Yup my go-to browser on all my Droids now. Samsung, IMHO, really got it right with this one.

Urbautz

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
After now i am 8 month on Android, while my Dad has my old L950, and my Mom a L550. Got back to them last weekend to do some IT maintenance, and had a hard time giving the L950 back. It's just so much better in every aspect.

teiva

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Went from Win10M to Android. Miss the whole Windows ecosystem that extended to my phone. Now have a Note 8. Nice phone, put SquareHome2 on it for similar look to Win10M. Works well and thoroughly recommended. Be happy to go to Win10M again if the chance arrives. I'm afraid when it comes to total integration, fluidity, etc. Android & IOS just don't have it.

Last edited:

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I loved the OS; Android is still a hot mess which feels thrown together (especially in the settings). I think what I miss most though is the ability to use Cortana in my car to create meetings, reminders, read and respond to texts, etc.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I loved the OS; Android is still a hot mess which feels thrown together (especially in the settings). I think what I miss most though is the ability to use Cortana in my car to create meetings, reminders, read and respond to texts, etc.

I could've written this myself. Except that I went back to W10M and got a new Lumia 650.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Yep.

Losing Ring was the app that did it for me. I actually NEED that one so I had to shelf my Lumia 950XL. Tried out iPhone X... in addition to feeling like Apple products are a direct insult to my intelligence, their upgrade to 64bit architecture actually meant they were disallowing me to use a massive chunk of legacy applications... went to a Note 8, poor battery life killed it for me.

Right now I've found comfort with the DOOGEE Mix... but what really bugs me is that I'd rather have invested my interest in super-low bezel phones towards the Lumia 435 Vela that was supposed to be.
Cancelled-Microsoft-Lumia-Vela.jpg

Man... Microsoft shoveled out so many underwhelming generic low dollar Lumias, then they had a chance to be ahead of the industry and they ******* backed out. If they'd have released this phone, I'd still be using it today even with the poor state that WM10 is in.

To answer the question though, I absolutely miss it. I miss my games giving me actual achievements that count towards my Gamerscore, I miss being all-in on UWP, miss the interface (none of the launchers on droid simulate the experience even half as well), miss the mail app... hell I even miss just how simple settings were.

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It's the little things W10M done automatically that Android doesn't do...

My best example of the past week: parts of my home and office get crappy WiFi, so I often turn it off on my OnePlus5T and rely on 4G. Problem is, I forget to go back into settings and turn it back on. I've gone a couple of days before realising I'm using my data allowance.

W10M allowed you to turn off WiFi for a set period of time, then it would automatically switch itself back on.

Smart. Simple. Elegant

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
It's the little things W10M done automatically that Android doesn't do...

My best example of the past week: parts of my home and office get crappy WiFi, so I often turn it off on my OnePlus5T and rely on 4G. Problem is, I forget to go back into settings and turn it back on. I've gone a couple of days before realising I'm using my data allowance.

W10M allowed you to turn off WiFi for a set period of time, then it would automatically switch itself back on.

Smart. Simple. Elegant.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't even know where to start. So let me just start with the obvious:

1. Hate Android
2. Hate Android and of course
3. Hate Android

I so so regret selling my premium and super smooth 950XL, I can't even tell you.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Everytime I see a Lumia in a movie or TV show I wish I had one again. As much as I loved all of mine and its been over 6 months since I gave up my 950xl I couldn't go back now. The 950's are just too dated now and there's way too many hardware and software features missing for today's standards.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Everytime I see a Lumia in a movie or TV show I wish I had one again. As much as I loved all of mine and its been over 6 months since I gave up my 950xl I couldn't go back now. The 950's are just too dated now and there's way too many hardware and software features missing for today's standards.

Exactly. Why I hate switching to a newer device running Android. Like the S9+ for example...you see all that you are not able to use or interact with on the 950s.

...but then I come crawling back to a Lumia again and again...I guess I just cling to the simplicity at times. Was comparing V-Keyboards the other day between it and Android. There is nothing like the Windows Phone 8/10 vkb. It could use a couple revamps maybe like the dictation toggle could easier to use or do a bit more with dictation/listening/pausing or maybe at times word prediction can work against you...but really an awesome experience compared to Android imo.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. Why I hate switching to a newer device running Android. Like the S9+ for example...you see all that you are not able to use or interact with on the 950s.

...but then I come crawling back to a Lumia again and again...I guess I just cling to the simplicity at times. Was comparing V-Keyboards the other day between it and Android. There is nothing like the Windows Phone 8/10 vkb. It could use a couple revamps maybe like the dictation toggle could easier to use or do a bit more with dictation/listening/pausing or maybe at times word prediction can work against you...but really an awesome experience compared to Android imo.

Same here man. Same here. I have bought and sold, bought and sold countless Lumias. And every time I sell one, I am super happy as I was angry with the platform. But when I start using Android, I know I am really angry now more than before. I have made up my mind. Now if (whenever) I buy a Lumia, I am not going to sell it. NOT.

Peter1984

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Since the advent of the Nokia Lumia Windows devices i've been addicted. I am junkie for windows devices and have owed more then I would care to admit. 920s, 1020s, 950s and 950xls I would cook those babies up on my spoon and shoot em up, mainline all the way.

Having to use multiple devices for work and such I've had more blackberries, androids and apples then i can count. Dozens of the bleeding things. And the one that i keep coming home to, the one that could beat any of those devices hands down was the Nokia / Lumia devices.

I'm afraid to to leave WP10. I'm not ready for the withdrawals. The nausea, the vomiting, cramps and cold sweats that i get when i put my L950 down and pick up an Android are beyond describing.

I've used the iPhone X, and the Samsung S9+ is very impressive.

But outside of a few functions I still find my 3 year old Lumia 950 superior. The moment i pick up 950, where with a simple caress I can access everything i need from a single screen, can shoot photos with a click of the dedicated camera button, close down aberrant apps clickly and easily. I can access my onedrive and PC's local drives with inbuilt native apps, secure and fast. The irony was before MS built it there was almost no way to do this on IOS or Android devices.

The best thing about WP10 is its reddit app; Baconit. Between 2012 - 2017 i downloaded every single Android and IOS reddit app (except those requiring payment in excess of $5). All of them failed against baconit (which works nicely on my Win10 PC, nice one UWP).

From setting up and using my VPN provider i find it quicker and more logical to do this on my WP10 950 then an Android or IOS device.

High contrast and being able to short cut to almost any setting on my phone is a godsend. i use these functions regularly. Can you shortcut settings option 3 screens deep on a IOS device?

Sure it might be a little slow around the corners these days and batteries struggle but a iPhone 6 that goes through heavy use would be next to useless, as would a Samsung S6. Tell me what device from 2014 can shoot fricken 4k as well as a 950 in 2018? And its camera with its mechanical stabilization can shoot pics that my continue to wow friends and colleagues.

If only MS had design the screens to be replaceable and gave users access to cheap OEM parts (batteries, covers, functions) then the Lumia 950 would be marchin strongly.

I don't blame Nadella for cancelling WP10. What else could he do. It was losing in the smartphone death march. It was making a loss whilst being slaughtered by tech blogs and journals across the planet. I know an editor of a much a tech site and I am utterly disgusted at how ignorant he was about the Lumia 950 and its abilities.

I think Lumia - WP10 range was always going to die an early death. How could it not?

MS launched WP10 off of the bloody corpses of tens of millions of WP6, WP7 and WP8 customers who were all left stranded and rejected when after paying a premium they were told they could not update their devices. That arrogance from MS that burned key tech editors and journo's allowed them to be sweet talked by Google & Apple marketing departments.

The other problem was the fact that Microsofts strategy seemed half-hearted. It seemed a bit like the BUsh governments plan when came to dealing with Iraq after the invasion.

1. Invade Iraq
2. get rid of saddam
3. Bask in the love of Iraqs.

Microsoft version was this

1. Launch WP6, WP7 and WP8, burn millions of people.
2. Launch WP10
3. Bask in hundreds of millions of sales and see the end of their competitors.

They didn't even build that many Lumia 950s. IT was like they knew it was still born. They didn't put their money was and they didn't have a strategy that compensated and apologised for those who had been used as testers for the Windows mobile development process.

Though i find the betrayal of late that Android users are getting features that aren't being pushed onto WP10 particularly egregious

I'll leave you with my ode to MS/WP10

Friends tell me I am crazy
That I'm wasting time with you
You'll never be mine
That's not the way I see it
'Cause I feel you're already mine
Whenever you're with me
People always talk about reputation
I don't care about your IOS/Android apps
Just be good to me
Friends are always telling me
You're a loser