Miss W10M so much :(

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Just bought a Nokia 7+. There's no urge to use it yet. Still sticking with 650.

The feeling is strange.??????

Bought a Lumia 950. Sitting in the box too at the moment. When Microsoft introduced Windows 10 Mobile I absolutely had to have the 950. Expensive as heck at the time but the cheaper of the two. Now you can get one for around 100 dollars. I guess I wanted to know why I kept away from this model over the 950 XL. The 950 was and seems to be the buggier of the two maybe? It chews up battery juice faster and gets hotter than the XL model. Still the size of it was nice. Just easy to use in one hand and packed a great camera and excellent screen. Not sure If I am going to sell it as easy as a 950 XL, or if it will end up staying with me. Windows phones are getting harder and harder to sell these days...

Tahir Malik

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I miss my 950XL very much. The Nokia 8 I have is Okay, not great butt will do for now. I'm still eagerly waiting for the surface phone or Ormada whatever when it drops.

Tahir Malik

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Still need to add that if Microsoft didn't drop the support and promotions etc like Nokia did with Lumia back in the day, I probably would have still used it.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Bought a Lumia 950. Sitting in the box too at the moment. When Microsoft introduced Windows 10 Mobile I absolutely had to have the 950. Expensive as heck at the time but the cheaper of the two. Now you can get one for around 100 dollars. I guess I wanted to know why I kept away from this model over the 950 XL. The 950 was and seems to be the buggier of the two maybe? It chews up battery juice faster and gets hotter than the XL model. Still the size of it was nice. Just easy to use in one hand and packed a great camera and excellent screen. Not sure If I am going to sell it as easy as a 950 XL, or if it will end up staying with me. Windows phones are getting harder and harder to sell these days...

Preferred the look of the 950 XL over the 950 as thought the latter was just plain fuggly, until I bought one - didn't want too large a phone so chose the latter, and the 950 was more reasonably priced at time as well. Once in hand I was truly impressed with its physical appearance, fit-n-feel, OS side and performance not so much. Want to use the thing so bad yet there's too many issues (OS, lack-of-apps, performance woes, etc) that kills the experience pretty quickly - my 7 month older Droid that's so eerily spec'd essentially blows the 950 away in most aspects, and it rarely has heating issues in the same manner. IMO, a better web browsing experience would surely have helped to minimize the slack seen in the platform yet personally finding its still way behind the times in speed and consistency.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
IMO, a better web browsing experience would surely have helped to minimize the slack seen in the platform yet personally finding its still way behind the times in speed and consistency.
Ya Edge is so disappointing some times. The 950 xl is by far my favorite .

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Ya Edge is so disappointing some times. The 950 xl is by far my favorite .

It's not just Edge. After having tried multiple browsers on the platform I've come to the conclusion the problem is much deeper.

Would have liked to given an XL a go but a little late for that now... Almost jumped on the Alcatel Idol 4S when it was on sale a while back but thought better of it. Also had eyed the HP Elite x3 Bundle too but Microsoft still thinks it's gold so for me the 1K asking price becomes laughable, OOS now anyway.

SAIF8897

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
Re: Miss W10M so much 😞

It was actually the opposite for me.
Though I had used both iOS and Android previously, you get used to what you currently use. I hung in for a while but now that I’m back with iPhone I find W phone just unacceptable. I still have my Idol4s and pull it out once in a while to keep it updated. I don’t last for more than half a day.
But hey, if some day they come out with something I find acceptable I could be convinced to change. I’m not married to any manufacturer forever.

well said!
though I am still with windows phone, I understand one should be open to change. especially in this fast changing world.

the only thing I would like is a little more choice. IOS Vs Android being the only options is really sad.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

the only thing I would like is a little more choice. IOS Vs Android being the only options is really sad.

I've said this before, many times, but the situation in mobile is better than desktop. I think for most people, me included, we don't actually care about the lack of choice. We care only if our preference is top dog, or even available.

Look at it this way: do you care that Windows on desktop has more than 90% market share? Probably not.

Would you care about the two choices in mobile if they were Windows Phone and iOS? Nope, you wouldn't.

The mobile market has spoken: we only want two. And desktop says we'll take only one, with a couple other tiny options in there to add color.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I've said this before, many times, but the situation in mobile is better than desktop. I think for most people, me included, we don't actually care about the lack of choice. We care only if our preference is top dog, or even available.

Look at it this way: do you care that Windows on desktop has more than 90% market share? Probably not.

Would you care about the two choices in mobile if they were Windows Phone and iOS? Nope, you wouldn't.

The mobile market has spoken: we only want two. And desktop says we'll take only one, with a couple other tiny options in there to add color.

I wish Apple and Microsoft were the only choices in mobile and desktop. Lord knows I’ve tried to make Android work for me but it’s just such a fustercluck. I’m staying with my MacBook, iPhone, Idol 4S and Windows 7 slate setup for the foreseeable future. I like Windows 10 Mobile but I’ve lost my appetite for 10 desktop. I’m looking for a more robust laptop/slate to put 7 on so I can exorcise W10 from Boot Camp.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Lord knows I’ve tried to make Android work for me but it’s just such a fustercluck.

I find Android the best balance between features and simplicity. Different streaks for different freaks I guess! iOS is close behind.

My experience with Windows Phone is perfectly summed up by a line from the book Mathematics without Apologies: the result of striving for ultimate simplicity is intolerable complexity. Like you call it, "Workaround Mobile."

Thank you for your comment though. You validated my point about we as consumers not actually caring about how many choices are available. We care only about which choices are available.

so I can exorcise W10 from Boot Camp.

I see what you did there!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am a window 10 mobile user for a long time and please do not switch to android fellow members
They’re gonna have to go somewhere. Windows 10 Mobile is finished, kaput. The phones will still work and SMS/MMS will also work along with some core apps, but for how long? Cortana is being repurposed so I’m not going to be counting on her too much longer. That leaves 2 options - iOS or Android. Not everybody can afford iPhones so it’s not much of a choice when all is said and done.

MrockNroll

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Good points as usual fatclue_98. I am sticking around and probably looking for the last lifeboat the USS WP titanic but the band Shure sound great. :)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
They’re gonna have to go somewhere. Windows 10 Mobile is finished, kaput. The phones will still work and SMS/MMS will also work along with some core apps, but for how long? Cortana is being repurposed so I’m not going to be counting on her too much longer. That leaves 2 options - iOS or Android. Not everybody can afford iPhones so it’s not much of a choice when all is said and done.
Stop reminding me....😬
...but for now my Lumias keep on ticking.
I use mTalk and a Bible app. Thats it really. Oh and myTube (awesome app!). Rest are core apps. However if either one of those two fades out I'll try a hack to get them to work before I jump ship completely.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Stop reminding me....������
...but for now my Lumias keep on ticking.
I use mTalk and a Bible app. Thats it really. Oh and myTube (awesome app!). Rest are core apps. However if either one of those two fades out I'll try a hack to get them to work before I jump ship completely.

I ain't goin' anywhere just yet either. My daily is an iPhone but that's just so I won't have to carry 2 devices. Nights and weekends still belong to the Idol or x3.

Dwarf_King

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
I have a Lumia 950 XL and I then got a brand new Samsung eS8 and used it for a month then I got tired of the crapy Outlook Android version and the fact that I could not install Cortana and Microsoft edge as that is not available in my Scandinavian country.... I also found the camera a bit less awesome on the Samsung Galaxy S8 and even the Microsoft news app was simply so much better on my Lumia. I use the Samsung without a sim card now for weird apps Lumia does not support but my trusted main smart phone is Lumia 950 XL when making calls, texting, surfing the net, reading news, checking and replying to mails, taking pictures etc. Android and google are really not needed for that. When I use the Lumia 950 XL win 10 mobile I feel very happy. Oh and the funny thing is tjat I actually came from Android to Windows 10 mobile back in June 2016 when I saw the Lumia 950 XL. It was love at first sight just like with my wife. Oh and I really, really love the Lumia 950 XL and the whole design of that phone. I shall use it at least until December 2019 probably even still use it then unless a better Windows 10 phone like device shows up and charm me.

Geordi La Forge

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I managed to buy a used 950 recently and am enjoying the upgrade from my 640 (minus battery life obviously!).
The downloads from the store seem to be very slow at times, other than that though I think I'll be using this for at least another year or until whatsapp is dropped.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre