03-15-2018 08:03 AM
30 12
tools
    Google. Why? Because...

* Google = Cloud = Google Drive, Photos and Google Cloud = threat to Azure

* Google = AI = Google Assistant = threat to Cortana

* Google = Productivity = gSuite = threat to Office 365

* Google = Mobile = Android = no current threat because MS is a bunch of spineless jelly filled doughnuts in this sector

* Google = OS = Chrome = threat to the mighty Windows. Note: if Google ever creates an Android development IDE that runs on Chrome, it's lights out for Windows in the Education market, and once you lose the younger generation you eventually lose ALL markets.

One might argue that Google built this monster on the back of web, but I argue they built it on the back of mobile. It's the crazy popularity of Android that has catapulted it to the top of all these other market sectors.

Microsoft's missing the boat on mobile will be its eventual demise, or at least its catalyst into obscurity and irrelevance. Unless Microsoft can find some footing in mobile its days are numbered. For those of us who bet our careers on Microsoft, we all just better hope this Andromeda device isn't just a rumour. It better be real. It better be good. It better be well supported and marketed. Or else we'd all better face up to the fact that we need to retrain in everything Google.
    03-12-2018 05:59 PM
    So I'm going to answer this question a little differently. I think it makes sense to look at Apple, Google, and Microsoft by their primary business model. Apple primarily makes money by selling devices. They get you to buy more of Apple devices by making Apple services integrate easier on Apple devices. And of the money they make from devices, the vast majority comes from the iPhone. Google primarily makes money from advertising. Their goal is to get your eyeballs looking at a screen through Google stuff. Gmail, chrome, and android are the biggest in capturing your activity and leveraging this in advertising. Google can make so much money this way, android can be made open source and given away without licensing fees. Microsoft, on the other hand, makes money primary from licensing fees through cloud services, server products, Office, Windows OEMs, etc. They have successfully monetize software over the decades. Google essentially decided monetizing software is not worth it and to just depend on advertising.

What I see as a potential threat to Microsoft is their dominance in the PC operating system. Android has a small chance of becoming a desktop operating system. So I guess I'm saying Google is the biggest threat to Microsoft. There are so many people using android phones, I can see Google making a desktop version of android, and people would jump on it. The advertising and open source business model worked great for android phones. I could see that continuing on to the desktop. I know they have ChromeOS for desktop, but ChromeOS is so limited, I can't see it gaining too much market share. Making a unified Android for desktop and phone would be a big threat. I thought Google was doing this in a project called Andromeda. I guess it was canceled. But that doesn't mean they will not try again.
    Lobo Technician likes this.
    03-13-2018 12:32 AM
    Goverment because the monopoli position in the past, Microsoft themselfs, consumers.
    03-13-2018 05:17 AM
    Themselves.

All they do is shoot themselves in the foot. Come out with something great and half-baked. Let everyone else leap frog them.
    This. Completely.
    03-15-2018 07:49 AM
    I agree that currently Alphabet/Google is the most threatening competitor to Microsoft.
    03-15-2018 08:03 AM
30 12