Who is fed up enough to leave Microsoft 100% after W10m?

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Tell us how you really feel. ??????

Honestly though, Android is built and continues to grow because of advertisements. It’s something you have to understand if you are in that ecosystem. It takes time to sift through all the apps to find the one that Best fits your needs and yet is the least invasive. I used it and enjoyed it but have since moved to iOS because it gives me the best combination of apps with fewer ads, security and overall performance.

see that's the thing with ADdroid, you have to sift through countless and countless and countless of crap to get any good ones... also it was the same thing on my ADdroid tv device when using mobdro or kodi ect ect, they all had tons of ads and so I got fed up and stopped using it... my brother uses apple tv and doesn't have all that problems....

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
OK we get it, you simply have no love for Droid which is perfectly fine. But seriously, what is it that you or your GF are doing to invoke such atrocities with the platform? I genuinely ask because in my 3+ plus years of using multiple Droids (six to-date) I have not experienced anything anywhere near to the degree as you've described, not even remotely close. Sure they (ads, etc) exist yet going by my experiences setting up my Android devices initially it has been basically a "set it and forget it" affair, no special treatment, no constant vigilance, simply using the devices as they were intended.

just using kodi, mobdro and a couple of other apps on my ADdroid tv box which I just stopped using cause of all the ADS...

also to answer your question about the apps and the app in question was some fitness abs app I don't recall what the exact name is but it was very intrusive and took over my GF's swipe screen to answer a call!... another note no offence but I hardly believe that you NEVER experienced this in the 3+ years you've been using ADdroid because I have had several friends go through some bad experiences one time or another and myself and my GF with rogue apps taking over their phones or malware and even viruses! also there is a plethora of articles and chat forums describing other horrors that has happened with peoples ADdroid phones and one app that I remember reading about was the messenger app for FB that was a fake one and hijacking peoples FB account and posting adverts and links to video's to all their contacts which happened to my GF and I had to search google to find out what the culprit was... maybe you don't install anything or almost nothing except those BIG apps like FB and twitter and snapchat and major gaming tittles on your phone which is why you've been lucky in the 3+ years you've had your ADdroid phone or something else that's not being said... but for all the MAJORITY of other users do get bad apps/malware and viruses... which is why there is a plethora of anti-viruses apps on ADdroid...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
just using kodi, mobdro and a couple of other apps on my ADdroid tv box which I just stopped using cause of all the ADS...

also to answer your question about the apps and the app in question was some fitness abs app I don't recall what the exact name is but it was very intrusive and took over my GF's swipe screen to answer a call!... another note no offence but I hardly believe that you NEVER experienced this in the 3+ years you've been using ADdroid because I have had several friends go through some bad experiences one time or another and myself and my GF with rogue apps taking over their phones or malware and even viruses! also there is a plethora of articles and chat forums describing other horrors that has happened with peoples ADdroid phones and one app that I remember reading about was the messenger app for FB that was a fake one and hijacking peoples FB account and posting adverts and links to video's to all their contacts which happened to my GF and I had to search google to find out what the culprit was... maybe you don't install anything or almost nothing except those BIG apps like FB and twitter and snapchat and major gaming tittles on your phone which is why you've been lucky in the 3+ years you've had your ADdroid phone or something else that's not being said... but for all the MAJORITY of other users do get bad apps/malware and viruses... which is why there is a plethora of anti-viruses apps on ADdroid...
I've been using Android devices for over 3 years now. I have 200 apps installed, and I have not experienced any such issues. However, I paid for many apps to support the developers and to remove the adverts. I also avoid installing apps from any dodgy sites. I've never had malware infections, and I don't use any anti-malware apps on my Android devices.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Agree with all you said. The animosity some have for Android or iOS is just personal. I can’t be bothered putting any energy in hating an inanimate object that can’t hurt me at all.

I moved to iOS, not because I disliked Android, more because I wanted to simplify my technology. It just fit better.....right now. We all know that can and probably will change. That’s why I won’t marry or defend any one platform.

Fear of change does seem to have that affect on some... Like you I go with what works for me, may not be exactly what we want but when choice is essentially limited (platform wise) ya gotta pick one if you wanna stay afloat. Never had an issue migrating from one to another if need be, gotta have an open mind and some willingness to adapt otherwise one is gonna get stuck in a rut sooner than later.

Truth be told I'd probably still be on WP if - stability, consistency, fluidity and functionality (mainly on the app front) still existed like in the good ol' 8.0/8.1 days and to the degree I'm looking for. Always a joy to fire one up and take it for a short spin but regrettably it now falls way behind for my use.

iOS has its merits for sure with reliability and support being the most noticeable for my wife and me. After four iPads (including 1st gen), and two iPhones, not one has had the need for a hard reset ever, and let me tell you my wife has used them tons for everything imaginable that these devices can do.

Not married to any one particular platform either but there is that hope it'll continue on in such a way that "jumping ship" won't be an every 5 year affair, ordeal. Something like Windows for PC has done albeit can't say we are all that thrilled with 10 on PC these days either but that's a total other matter.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
see that's the thing with ADdroid, you have to sift through countless and countless and countless of crap to get any good ones... also it was the same thing on my ADdroid tv device when using mobdro or kodi ect ect, they all had tons of ads and so I got fed up and stopped using it... my brother uses apple tv and doesn't have all that problems....

I think if you stay with main apps, ones that are well known there’s no issue. If you are going to download anything in or out of the App Store you could have issues. You have to be smart.

I used Android for 3 years or so and never had an issue. I was told by people I would have issues, have my phone taken over, have my bank account drained, but I think it’s all fear mongering. If it was true, Android would cease to exist.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Android devices for over 3 years now. I have 200 apps installed, and I have not experienced any such issues. However, I paid for many apps to support the developers and to remove the adverts. I also avoid installing apps from any dodgy sites. I've never had malware infections, and I don't use any anti-malware apps on my Android devices.

sorry I don't believe you... LOL :winktongue: I'm sure you have something going on and probably just don't realize it...phone running slower than normal? anyone tells me they have 200 apps and not 1 problem I call BS... sorry but I've seen it with my own eyes and have too many friends who have installed 5x less apps and have gotten something one time or another.... also my GF and myself NEVER download apps other than the google play store which makes me think how shoddy the google play store really is that they let anything and everything in.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

In all seriousness, nope haven't had anything pop up on my Androids unannounced or strange occurrences happen in that time, never not once. If I set it we let it, if I don't it won't. Yes I have had apps with small ads appear in place (mostly nonintrusive and far less sever than some websites) but if there's a choice to rid them by purchasing I'll definitely do so... GasBuddy was one inundated with ads and no option to purchase so I dumped it, can always visit website if the urge arises, or acquire that info elsewhere.

My Droids vary on the quantity of apps from 120+ up to 150+, device dependant - In comparison, my Windows Phone's sit at around 80. And yes I have the likes of Messenger, FB, Twitter, BBM and so on, been that way since day one. No games/gaming here whatsoever. IMHO it is all about the "INITIAL" setup and getting it the way you want it to be in the beginning (allowing, not allowing permissions, etc), a little extra effort at the start but it pays dividends in the end. Like I said, it's basically a "set it and forget it" affair or at least that's how it has been for me, might have to tweak any new app installed but found this to be rare... Ad versions not withstanding.

So from my experiences reliability, consistency and fluidity has kept true with only four hard resets being performed on 6 devices combined, that alone speaks volume to me... actually there were only two "musts" because of bad updates while the other two were due to my tinkering. I think my L950 almost exceeded that number of resets, if it didn't (lost count), in 2017 all by its lonesome.

Have never used an antivirus on my Droids either nor have I been knowingly infected. Remember when PCs were targeted so heavily way back when (still are), why do you think that is? Like anything the hackers are going where the "money" is. More user more chances of scoring big. Same would hold true for Android yet think the users themselves can a lot to mitigate those problems, going by my experiences doing so is pretty transparent taking no effort at all.

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
No, I'm not pitching a hissy fit, taking my ball and going home.

Windows phones failed, it's sad, I loved it and held out longer than most people. However, MS tried for years and spent BILLIONS of dollars on it. you can't say they didn't try.

There's no need to sacrifice anything and pledge fan boy loyalty to any brand. Use what works best and you will rarely be so disappointed.

I use an Android phone with a ton of MS apps & services, but I also use Google apps & services, Samsung products, and only by force but an iPhone for work.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
sorry I don't believe you... LOL :winktongue: I'm sure you have something going on and probably just don't realize it...phone running slower than normal? anyone tells me they have 200 apps and not 1 problem I call BS... sorry but I've seen it with my own eyes and have too many friends who have installed 5x less apps and have gotten something one time or another.... also my GF and myself NEVER download apps other than the google play store which makes me think how shoddy the google play store really is that they let anything and everything in.

I'm not sure if you a misinterpreting or what but I don't think anyone here is insinuating Android is perfect cuz it is not. It has its problems from time to time yet in my case those are far and few between. Ditto on the iOS front going by our experiences there too.

And that "running slower than normal thing"! My LG G4 which is 7 months older than my 950, both very similarly spec'd, has had only one hard reset in its life (yes you heard me right) and it outperforms the 950 by quite a bit. None of my Droid's have EVER succumbed to the elusive slowdowns as so many proclaim but then I guess just like my PCs we've adopted a regular maintenance routine that mitigates those kind of things, a few seconds once in a blue moon is all it takes.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No, I don't have any issues with my devices running slower, nor have I ever installed any so-called "RAM booster" or "cleaner" apps. I avoid anything from Cheetah Mobile as well. I would not have used Android devices this long if they were so problematic. At this point, I've used Android devices longer than I used Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile devices.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
No, I don't have any issues with my devices running slower, nor have I ever installed any so-called "RAM booster" or "cleaner" apps. I avoid anything from Cheetah Mobile as well. I would not have used Android devices this long if they were so problematic. At this point, I've used Android devices longer than I used Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile devices.

I've never been much of a enhancing app user either other than running Nova Launcher Prime on one of my devices (working so good I left it alone). For the most part stock has treated me just fine. Found on the maintenance aspect, the OS has enough of those abilities built-in (at least nowadays) there is no need for third-party apps.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Leaving Microsoft entirely because of W10M is a knee jerk reaction in my opinion. The entire body of work should be considered. That would be like leaving Cadillac because of the Cimarron. Or more recently, leaving Toyota because of the Yaris.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
its amazing how our device experiences differ so much LOL :smile:

Naw. We all have needs, wants and perceptions. It doesn’t mean one is more right or wrong, just that we are different. I’m just glad there’s some choice so we don’t all have to settle for the same thing.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Android does not have a desktop OS, guess I could move to Linux.

Chrome OS... And they are moving Android and Chrome closer together all the time.

But to answer your question, I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater. After so much of my lifetime with Outlook, Office and other things I can't comfortably convert and don't really want to migrate all my data anyway.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Leaving Microsoft entirely because of W10M is a knee jerk reaction in my opinion. The entire body of work should be considered. That would be like leaving Cadillac because of the Cimarron. Or more recently, leaving Toyota because of the Yaris.

For me it was about collaboration between all my devices. While you certainly can use a Windows laptop, Android tablet and iPhone it seems a bit fragmented. I can still use Microsoft services if I want. To me it’s the best of both worlds.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Naw. We all have needs, wants and perceptions. It doesn’t mean one is more right or wrong, just that we are different. I’m just glad there’s some choice so we don’t all have to settle for the same thing.

what choice? there's only Apple and ADdroid now.... there USED to be choice, but then MSFT abandoned us and we lost a choice... and my quote "its amazing how our device experiences differ so much LOL" I was talking about how some people don't have trouble with their ADdroid device and some do... or some people have no trouble with W10M and some do... but yeah there's no right or wrong, just preferences on what device we want to use.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

For me and others around me it reaches far beyond just W10M now. While other platforms seem to be striving for reliability and consistency Microsoft, well, I dunno what the heck they are doing cuz it's becoming a train wreck from my standpoint. It's gotten to a point I now anticipate the next update on a PC to pooch something (cause reliability/stability issues) or even worse, incapacitate them altogether as these two factors have become an all to common occurrence. Just performed a fresh install on my third PC this year due to those very exact same things (after an update) and these PCs hardly saw the light of day since their last update. Also we're slowly migrating away from some of Microsoft's services and apps too cuz same thing, reliability and stability concerns.

IMHO that body of work is faltering big time. I see Microsoft, for my needs, moving in reverse rather than forward. Can't count the amount of times my blood pressure has risen as of late when performing what I consider fairly simplistic tasks just to have something go awry then spending way too much time trying to resolve, at home I can ignore but at work not so much. Since 1987 we had our fair share of troubles along the way but no where near what I'm seeing now, maybe I'm just getting old, grumpy and and forgetful dunno. :eck:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For me and others around me it reaches far beyond just W10M now. While other platforms seem to be striving for reliability and consistency Microsoft, well, I dunno what the heck they are doing cuz it's becoming a train wreck from my standpoint. It's gotten to a point I now anticipate the next update on a PC to pooch something (cause reliability/stability issues) or even worse, incapacitate them altogether as these two factors have become an all to common occurrence. Just performed a fresh install on my third PC this year due to those very exact same things (after an update) and these PCs hardly saw the light of day since their last update. Also we're slowly migrating away from some of Microsoft's services and apps too cuz same thing, reliability and stability concerns.

IMHO that body of work is faltering big time. I see Microsoft, for my needs, moving in reverse rather than forward. Can't count the amount of times my blood pressure has risen as of late when performing what I consider fairly simplistic tasks just to have something go awry then spending way too much time trying to resolve, at home I can ignore but at work not so much. Since 1987 we had our fair share of troubles along the way but no where near what I'm seeing now, maybe I'm just getting old, grumpy and and forgetful dunno. :eck:
Aaaaaand that's why I'm on Windows 7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett