04-10-2018 07:34 PM
95 1234
tools
    I've been using Android devices for over 3 years now. I have 200 apps installed, and I have not experienced any such issues. However, I paid for many apps to support the developers and to remove the adverts. I also avoid installing apps from any dodgy sites. I've never had malware infections, and I don't use any anti-malware apps on my Android devices.
    sorry I don't believe you... LOL I'm sure you have something going on and probably just don't realize it...phone running slower than normal? anyone tells me they have 200 apps and not 1 problem I call BS... sorry but I've seen it with my own eyes and have too many friends who have installed 5x less apps and have gotten something one time or another.... also my GF and myself NEVER download apps other than the google play store which makes me think how shoddy the google play store really is that they let anything and everything in.
    03-17-2018 03:03 PM
    just using kodi, mobdro and a couple of other apps on my ADdroid tv box which I just stopped using cause of all the ADS...

also to answer your question about the apps and the app in question was some fitness abs app I don't recall what the exact name is but it was very intrusive and took over my GF's swipe screen to answer a call!... another note no offence but I hardly believe that you NEVER experienced this in the 3+ years you've been using ADdroid because I have had several friends go through some bad experiences one time or another and myself and my GF with rogue apps taking over their phones or malware and even viruses! also there is a plethora of articles and chat forums describing other horrors that has happened with peoples ADdroid phones and one app that I remember reading about was the messenger app for FB that was a fake one and hijacking peoples FB account and posting adverts and links to video's to all their contacts which happened to my GF and I had to search google to find out what the culprit was... maybe you don't install anything or almost nothing except those BIG apps like FB and twitter and snapchat and major gaming tittles on your phone which is why you've been lucky in the 3+ years you've had your ADdroid phone or something else that's not being said... but for all the MAJORITY of other users do get bad apps/malware and viruses... which is why there is a plethora of anti-viruses apps on ADdroid...
    In all seriousness, nope haven't had anything pop up on my Androids unannounced or strange occurrences happen in that time, never not once. If I set it we let it, if I don't it won't. Yes I have had apps with small ads appear in place (mostly nonintrusive and far less sever than some websites) but if there's a choice to rid them by purchasing I'll definitely do so... GasBuddy was one inundated with ads and no option to purchase so I dumped it, can always visit website if the urge arises, or acquire that info elsewhere.

My Droids vary on the quantity of apps from 120+ up to 150+, device dependant - In comparison, my Windows Phone's sit at around 80. And yes I have the likes of Messenger, FB, Twitter, BBM and so on, been that way since day one. No games/gaming here whatsoever. IMHO it is all about the "INITIAL" setup and getting it the way you want it to be in the beginning (allowing, not allowing permissions, etc), a little extra effort at the start but it pays dividends in the end. Like I said, it's basically a "set it and forget it" affair or at least that's how it has been for me, might have to tweak any new app installed but found this to be rare... Ad versions not withstanding.

So from my experiences reliability, consistency and fluidity has kept true with only four hard resets being performed on 6 devices combined, that alone speaks volume to me... actually there were only two "musts" because of bad updates while the other two were due to my tinkering. I think my L950 almost exceeded that number of resets, if it didn't (lost count), in 2017 all by its lonesome.

Have never used an antivirus on my Droids either nor have I been knowingly infected. Remember when PCs were targeted so heavily way back when (still are), why do you think that is? Like anything the hackers are going where the "money" is. More user more chances of scoring big. Same would hold true for Android yet think the users themselves can a lot to mitigate those problems, going by my experiences doing so is pretty transparent taking no effort at all.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-17-2018 03:43 PM
    No, I'm not pitching a hissy fit, taking my ball and going home.

Windows phones failed, it's sad, I loved it and held out longer than most people. However, MS tried for years and spent BILLIONS of dollars on it. you can't say they didn't try.

There's no need to sacrifice anything and pledge fan boy loyalty to any brand. Use what works best and you will rarely be so disappointed.

I use an Android phone with a ton of MS apps & services, but I also use Google apps & services, Samsung products, and only by force but an iPhone for work.
    03-17-2018 04:00 PM
    sorry I don't believe you... LOL I'm sure you have something going on and probably just don't realize it...phone running slower than normal? anyone tells me they have 200 apps and not 1 problem I call BS... sorry but I've seen it with my own eyes and have too many friends who have installed 5x less apps and have gotten something one time or another.... also my GF and myself NEVER download apps other than the google play store which makes me think how shoddy the google play store really is that they let anything and everything in.
    I'm not sure if you a misinterpreting or what but I don't think anyone here is insinuating Android is perfect cuz it is not. It has its problems from time to time yet in my case those are far and few between. Ditto on the iOS front going by our experiences there too.

And that "running slower than normal thing"! My LG G4 which is 7 months older than my 950, both very similarly spec'd, has had only one hard reset in its life (yes you heard me right) and it outperforms the 950 by quite a bit. None of my Droid's have EVER succumbed to the elusive slowdowns as so many proclaim but then I guess just like my PCs we've adopted a regular maintenance routine that mitigates those kind of things, a few seconds once in a blue moon is all it takes.
    Laura Knotek and TgeekB like this.
    03-17-2018 04:11 PM
    No, I don't have any issues with my devices running slower, nor have I ever installed any so-called "RAM booster" or "cleaner" apps. I avoid anything from Cheetah Mobile as well. I would not have used Android devices this long if they were so problematic. At this point, I've used Android devices longer than I used Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile devices.
    TgeekB, Elky64, fatclue_98 and 3 others like this.
    03-17-2018 04:15 PM
    No, I don't have any issues with my devices running slower, nor have I ever installed any so-called "RAM booster" or "cleaner" apps. I avoid anything from Cheetah Mobile as well. I would not have used Android devices this long if they were so problematic. At this point, I've used Android devices longer than I used Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile devices.
    I've never been much of a enhancing app user either other than running Nova Launcher Prime on one of my devices (working so good I left it alone). For the most part stock has treated me just fine. Found on the maintenance aspect, the OS has enough of those abilities built-in (at least nowadays) there is no need for third-party apps.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-17-2018 05:37 PM
    its amazing how our device experiences differ so much LOL
    03-17-2018 05:39 PM
    Leaving Microsoft entirely because of W10M is a knee jerk reaction in my opinion. The entire body of work should be considered. That would be like leaving Cadillac because of the Cimarron. Or more recently, leaving Toyota because of the Yaris.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk
    03-17-2018 06:07 PM
    its amazing how our device experiences differ so much LOL
    Naw. We all have needs, wants and perceptions. It doesn’t mean one is more right or wrong, just that we are different. I’m just glad there’s some choice so we don’t all have to settle for the same thing.
    Laura Knotek, Elky64 and libra89 like this.
    03-17-2018 06:46 PM
    Android does not have a desktop OS, guess I could move to Linux.
    Chrome OS... And they are moving Android and Chrome closer together all the time.

But to answer your question, I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater. After so much of my lifetime with Outlook, Office and other things I can't comfortably convert and don't really want to migrate all my data anyway.
    03-17-2018 06:47 PM
    Leaving Microsoft entirely because of W10M is a knee jerk reaction in my opinion. The entire body of work should be considered. That would be like leaving Cadillac because of the Cimarron. Or more recently, leaving Toyota because of the Yaris.

For me it was about collaboration between all my devices. While you certainly can use a Windows laptop, Android tablet and iPhone it seems a bit fragmented. I can still use Microsoft services if I want. To me it’s the best of both worlds.
    Laura Knotek and Elky64 like this.
    03-17-2018 06:48 PM
    Naw. We all have needs, wants and perceptions. It doesn’t mean one is more right or wrong, just that we are different. I’m just glad there’s some choice so we don’t all have to settle for the same thing.
    what choice? there's only Apple and ADdroid now.... there USED to be choice, but then MSFT abandoned us and we lost a choice... and my quote "its amazing how our device experiences differ so much LOL" I was talking about how some people don't have trouble with their ADdroid device and some do... or some people have no trouble with W10M and some do... but yeah there's no right or wrong, just preferences on what device we want to use.
    03-17-2018 08:08 PM

For me and others around me it reaches far beyond just W10M now. While other platforms seem to be striving for reliability and consistency Microsoft, well, I dunno what the heck they are doing cuz it's becoming a train wreck from my standpoint. It's gotten to a point I now anticipate the next update on a PC to pooch something (cause reliability/stability issues) or even worse, incapacitate them altogether as these two factors have become an all to common occurrence. Just performed a fresh install on my third PC this year due to those very exact same things (after an update) and these PCs hardly saw the light of day since their last update. Also we're slowly migrating away from some of Microsoft's services and apps too cuz same thing, reliability and stability concerns.

IMHO that body of work is faltering big time. I see Microsoft, for my needs, moving in reverse rather than forward. Can't count the amount of times my blood pressure has risen as of late when performing what I consider fairly simplistic tasks just to have something go awry then spending way too much time trying to resolve, at home I can ignore but at work not so much. Since 1987 we had our fair share of troubles along the way but no where near what I'm seeing now, maybe I'm just getting old, grumpy and and forgetful dunno.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    03-17-2018 08:10 PM
    Uncertainty.
    03-17-2018 08:19 PM
    For me and others around me it reaches far beyond just W10M now. While other platforms seem to be striving for reliability and consistency Microsoft, well, I dunno what the heck they are doing cuz it's becoming a train wreck from my standpoint. It's gotten to a point I now anticipate the next update on a PC to pooch something (cause reliability/stability issues) or even worse, incapacitate them altogether as these two factors have become an all to common occurrence. Just performed a fresh install on my third PC this year due to those very exact same things (after an update) and these PCs hardly saw the light of day since their last update. Also we're slowly migrating away from some of Microsoft's services and apps too cuz same thing, reliability and stability concerns.

IMHO that body of work is faltering big time. I see Microsoft, for my needs, moving in reverse rather than forward. Can't count the amount of times my blood pressure has risen as of late when performing what I consider fairly simplistic tasks just to have something go awry then spending way too much time trying to resolve, at home I can ignore but at work not so much. Since 1987 we had our fair share of troubles along the way but no where near what I'm seeing now, maybe I'm just getting old, grumpy and and forgetful dunno.
    Aaaaaand that's why I'm on Windows 7.

Elky64, Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    03-17-2018 08:31 PM
    Aaaaaand that's why I'm on Windows 7.

Yup just reverted a friend's computer to Windows 7 a week ago. This days after Microsoft's support took control of PC remotely trying to fix a Windows 10 update install problem, took a bit of time (couple hours) but eventually they ended up with fairly large paperweight LOL.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    03-17-2018 08:58 PM
    what choice? there's only Apple and ADdroid now.... there USED to be choice, but then MSFT abandoned us and we lost a choice... and my quote "its amazing how our device experiences differ so much LOL" I was talking about how some people don't have trouble with their ADdroid device and some do... or some people have no trouble with W10M and some do... but yeah there's no right or wrong, just preferences on what device we want to use.
    Not your choice obviously but truthfully there still is choice... Even Android has choice in regards to its OS, your standard vanilla flavours and many manufactures throwing in their own skinned flavours. As for W10M, I'd love nothing more than to see it thrive again but who's kidding who, pretty evident that ain't gonna happen.
    03-17-2018 09:17 PM
    just using kodi, mobdro and a couple of other apps on my ADdroid tv box which I just stopped using cause of all the ADS...

also to answer your question about the apps and the app in question was some fitness abs app I don't recall what the exact name is but it was very intrusive and took over my GF's swipe screen to answer a call!... another note no offence but I hardly believe that you NEVER experienced this in the 3+ years you've been using ADdroid because I have had several friends go through some bad experiences one time or another and myself and my GF with rogue apps taking over their phones or malware and even viruses! also there is a plethora of articles and chat forums describing other horrors that has happened with peoples ADdroid phones and one app that I remember reading about was the messenger app for FB that was a fake one and hijacking peoples FB account and posting adverts and links to video's to all their contacts which happened to my GF and I had to search google to find out what the culprit was... maybe you don't install anything or almost nothing except those BIG apps like FB and twitter and snapchat and major gaming tittles on your phone which is why you've been lucky in the 3+ years you've had your ADdroid phone or something else that's not being said... but for all the MAJORITY of other users do get bad apps/malware and viruses... which is why there is a plethora of anti-viruses apps on ADdroid...
    Yeah I've been using Android for 7 years and still haven't had a single virus or rogue app take over my phone. I'm not particularly careful either and often sideload apps from websites etc. Sure, occasionally you'll get an app that advertises aggressively but if it's any good I'll buy the ad free version or quickly remove the app. I've never felt the need to install anti-virus/anti-malware either.
    I can honestly say I've never felt it's been much more vulnerable than iPhone's or Windows phones I've also owned over the years
    Elky64 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-18-2018 02:58 AM
    I felt the same as you vEEP pEEP. I was the one guy at work who used a Windows phone; everyone laughed at me for using it. i stuck with it through all the bad press and departing apps; i kept sticking up for it, even in the face of adversity, saying it wasn't going to die. Boy...do i feel like a total fool now. I really really wanted to 'get back' at Microsoft' for their abandonment of the platform, feeling totally betrayed, but i'm 'all in' to Office 365 for work, and i've got all the Microsoft services running fine on my GS8+, so i'm sort of getting over it.
    Lobo Technician likes this.
    03-20-2018 12:27 AM
    I was using Lumia 535 for 3 yrs. I loved it, but i left from Windows mobile world because of stupid software problems (doesn't ring when someone calls me, viber bugs, slower than 8.1) and moved to Android.

I still use hotmail (2018 is 6th year of it), parallel with my gmail account.
    vEEP pEEP likes this.
    03-20-2018 01:34 AM
    But to answer your question, I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater. After so much of my lifetime with Outlook, Office and other things I can't comfortably convert and don't really want to migrate all my data anyway.
    +1
    03-21-2018 10:38 AM
    Thanks so much everyone for the opinions.

Anyone completely move to Apple?
    03-22-2018 08:20 PM

I'm using a iPhone but no need to totally move, as iOS plays mostly well with Microsoft stuff, aside from Cortana.
    vEEP pEEP likes this.
    03-22-2018 08:29 PM

I've tried but the keyboard situation is untenable for me. What good does it do to have 3rd party options if Apple insists on the same horrendous layout?
    03-22-2018 09:23 PM

I have. Couldn’t be happier right now. Who knows what the future will bring.
    libra89 and Elky64 like this.
    03-22-2018 09:46 PM
95 1234